So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
shenron002
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby shenron002 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 am

Bansho64 wrote:
shenron002 wrote:Well technically.... there is a version of the Dragon Boxes with Bruce Faulconer music and Dale Kelly voice now. I know this because I created it, and it took me close to five years to resync 291 episodes. I called it "Project Box Z" it spans about 75 DVDs on single layers 4 episodes per disc, sometimes 3, the video and audio are lossless. I used the Dragon Boxes as video, the Funimation singles as audio, and I used the episode previews I recorded off of Cartoon network around the year 2000. I own every DVD Funimation has ever produced, I been a fan since 1995/1996, I am generation 1 super collector :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x143q ... shortfilms


Wait, it took you FIVE YEARS!!!!! And from the look of it, your efforts were definitely worth it. I gotta give you some props man, because that must've taken some effort :clap:




It was a labor of love for the show. I never wanted to profit from it. i just wanted to be the the way I remember it when I was a teenager in the late 90's with the best video quality.

I was going to mail Mike a personal copy :) His been into this as long as I have :) I haven't posted in a long time, I remember discussion with Cory about video quality, and the best equipment to view it on. So how those old timers doing? are they still alive lol? are they still trying to enforce grammar lol?
"WE GOTTA POWER"

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5031
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Cipher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:39 am

shenron002 wrote:I was going to mail Mike a personal copy :) His been into this as long as I have :) I haven't posted in a long time, I remember discussion with Cory about video quality, and the best equipment to view it on. So how those old timers doing? are they still alive lol? are they still trying to enforce grammar lol?

Mike can still be summoned if you spin around three times and chant his name into a mirror. I haven't seen Corey post in years.

laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby laserkid » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Yeah, having recently come back from a hiatus of many years, it's kind of jarring to notice a lot of the older posters went dormant. But one thing seems to be constant, there's a lot of awesome people here!
-Laserkid

User avatar
clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu
Contact:

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby clutchins » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
hellobooboo14 wrote:Does anyone know if they're going to release blu-ray version for GT? I have the blu-ray's for Kai and Z (FUNImination)

The only reason they made Blu-ray's for Z is because they knew everyone would eat them up. In reality, the upscale process that they use is minuscule, and a Blu-ray release would be pointless for Funi and fans alike. The only reason Funi profits more from the DBZ Blu-rays is the superior remastering job, combined with name recognition. So no, there will probably never be a Blu-ray version for DB or GT. Not unless Toei were to give them the Kai treatment, which would be especially pointless for GT.

The reason why Funimation can actually create DBZ Blu-rays at all is because their masters for it are film, but their masters for DB and DBGT are only digi-beta. This means that they can't properly create a native 1080p scan since they are locked at SD.
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?

No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.

I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 pm

clutchins wrote:The reason why Funimation can actually create DBZ Blu-rays at all is because their masters for it are film, but their masters for DB and DBGT are only digi-beta. This means that they can't properly create a native 1080p scan since they are locked at SD.

It's still possible, but the result wouldn't be great. Probably not incomparable to the Blu-ray release. Actually, I'm pretty sure the Blu-rays of the TV Specials came from digi-betas
Retired.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:18 am

The TV special Double Features were definitely from 16mm film. They have more detail and grain and better colors than their Digibeta single releases.
"There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges." --Colonel Trautman

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai

"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:22 am

Metalwario64 wrote:The TV special Double Features were definitely from 16mm film. They have more detail and grain and better colors than their Digibeta single releases.

They have grain, for sure, but they look far too bad to be from the the same film that the Orange Bricks are. They may not be from digibeta's, but I don't think they're from that film. Although it's worth noting that whatever source Toei used for the Dragon Box GT Special was second-hand, it looked like it waa from a tape of some sort. Maybe we're seeing something similar here, and the Double Feature is from a film made from a similar source.
Retired.

User avatar
simtek34
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Mount Paozu (Woodbury, MN)
Contact:

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby simtek34 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am

i really wish FUNimation buys the rest of the Film Masters for DB, GT, and the Z and GT Specials for Blu-Ray. Or release Dragon Boxes. You already have the Movie Masters for the Dragon Boxes!


If they don't do tat, at least get DB's. But does FUNi already have the DB movie masters because they have them in 1080p HD on their FUNimationNOW website
Could Somebody PM Me which episodes of Dragon Ball Z use Dragon Box Footage on FunimationNow?

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 3732
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 pm

They did release the movies on Blu-ray and they're pretty damn good. It's not as bad since the movies were already 16:9.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:They did release the movies on Blu-ray and they're pretty damn good. It's not as bad since the movies were already 16:9.

They're a bit Orange Bricky. They look better than the series, because they're naturally made to look better, but the remastering job still wasn't great. Also, instead of using the original audio, Toei sent them the same LQ type of track that the series has, which is quite frankly inexcusable.
Retired.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 3732
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 pm

The Blu-ray release of the movies? I thought they looked great. Again, I'm no video expert and I'm not the type of fan that needs every piece of grain from the original to be there. I look at it and I ask myself if it looks good to me or not. The movies did look good, so I had no problems with them.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby SaiyanGod117 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:The Blu-ray release of the movies? I thought they looked great. Again, I'm no video expert and I'm not the type of fan that needs every piece of grain from the original to be there. I look at it and I ask myself if it looks good to me or not. The movies did look good, so I had no problems with them.

Same, I didn't notice anything wrong with quality of the video; although some parts did have a little much contrast (though it was few and far between), fortunately it only showed in the earlier season.

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2485
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: So I just bought the Blu-rays...

Postby Captain Awesome » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:04 pm

The movies look okay. They made no attempt to fix the considerable film damage, and while the character art looks crisp and well defined, the crushed blacks and the DNR aren't as kind to the background elements.
Herms wrote:The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.


Return to “General Franchise Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], KBABZ, Kunzait_83, TheBigBoy, TheZFighter, XanatosVanBadass and 46 guests