Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
kinisking wrote:Toriyama doesn't like them i guess because it's possible to write a story with them. Especially in ROF where there was an entire army.
Toriyama should know many fans prefer this: Image, THIS:Image & scenes where all the original Z-Fighters/old guys matter to the plot: Image over this: Image, this: Image & Image
Sadly toriyama weakness is his poor cast usage and never thinking outside the box he never saw how chiatzu and yamcha could do something useful or revelant to the plot
Mostly active on discord.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: Was there a place for Yamcha & Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z/Super)?

Post by Simere » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:13 am

If firing an ineffectual attack and then easily being blown away is what you want, I think that can be managed.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:25 am

The gr wrote:Sadly toriyama weakness is his poor cast usage and never thinking outside the box he never saw how chiatzu and yamcha could do something useful or revelant to the plot
Toriyama's imagination lacks when it comes to do some things, luckily for him Toei's professionals are always by his side to help him develop his notes into great/interesting/fun to watch product (may it be an animated series or a movie)..
Simere wrote:If firing an ineffectual attack and then easily being blown away is what you want, I think that can be managed.
In comparison to whom? 2nd class Frieza Soldiers? I'll bet that Chiaotzu (& Yamcha, in case u meant him) can slay good amount of these goons with less effort than Muten Roshi or Jaco did there in RoF. The power ranks in the movie/arc here is this: Son Gohan (base form) > Piccolo > Krillin > Tien > Yamcha > Chiaotzu > Yajirobe >= Master Roshi (buff form) > Jaco.
Last edited by Israelite Wolfman on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:26 am

Simere wrote:If firing an ineffectual attack and then easily being blown away is what you want, I think that can be managed.
It's still better than doing absolutely nothing imo.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:37 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
In comparison to whom? 2nd class Frieza Soldiers?
I was mainly referring to your link of Krillin and Yamcha firing on Cell.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 am

kinisking wrote:
It's still better than doing absolutely nothing imo.
Image The "Tree of Might" is one of my favorite movies due to having all the original Z-Fighters fight in the front line there. Again: I'd doubt a bunch of low level Frieza Soldiers even Roshi & Jaco managed to defeat by the hundreds would be a problem to either Yamcha or Chiaotzu who are leagues above them in power.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Absolutely. Even Goten and Trunks too. (Not fusing)

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Absolutely. Even Goten and Trunks too. (Not fusing)
They were at least included in Dragon Ball Super version of this movie (probably due to being Saiyans), unlike Yamcha & Chiaotzu who were left out without even being shown for a second.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:30 am

I Wrote in a previous post (this is the exact wording btw) "I Want everyone other than goku and vegeta to have a moment of shine"

But yea, there was definetely a place for them, i hope toriyama does something useful for them in the future

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 am

That's how I visioned RoF before it went out w/o Yamcha & Chiaotzu: Image

Edit: Not such a hard thing to fix now, Toei!

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

Have made a petition if you'd like to call for a change in this arc/movie from Toei Animation, Toriyama & Co. : https://www.change.org/p/toei-animation ... a-chiatozu

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:Have made a petition if you'd like to call for a change in this arc/movie from Toei Animation, Toriyama & Co. : https://www.change.org/p/toei-animation ... a-chiatozu
Hahaha this is hilarious :lol:
Not gonna sign it I am fine with no chiaotzu in it but I am curious how this turns out..
If you need more members, post it in social media platforms with a good title, let us know how it ends :thumbup:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:Have made a petition if you'd like to call for a change in this arc/movie from Toei Animation, Toriyama & Co. : https://www.change.org/p/toei-animation ... a-chiatozu
Change.org petitions usually never work. I'd rather they start including them in future Z battles. Yeah, it was a damn shame they didnt show up, but if they start showing up to other fights I'd be content.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:55 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Change.org petitions usually never work. I'd rather they start including them in future Z battles. Yeah, it was a damn shame they didnt show up, but if they start showing up to other fights I'd be content.
Toei lurks the web for getting info about fans' desires, may it be forums, Reddit, YouTube vids, blogs or sites, when they see many people like something they make it happen, I bet that people being grumpy about no Yamcha appearance in RoF made them make the 70th DBS episode, it's still not an excuse to avoid making something so easy to be executed (source: am animator, IF I can fix this unofficially why can't them do it officially?). It'd be BOTH Out & In-Universe "historic justice" with these two characters (Chiaotzu haven't matter for 27 years since the Nappa battle, and Yamcha wasn't for 22 years if you count the DBZ Kid Buu Saga fillers). Dragon Ball Super is all about FAN SERVICE, we got that they're trying to promote Roshi for younger audience who never saw the original DB (he admitted to be juicing it up with the "Paradise Herb" last episode when Goku & Krillin wondered about that herb) but the fact he was against these lackeys while Yamcha who ranks higher than Tien in Japanese fan polls was absent for whatever reason & Chiaotzu (whose potential was never exploited) was "feared for" is just lazy & poor writing, that's not fan service here considering the number of punching bags they got there.

BTW Can someone provide a link for this Dragon Ball SD piece/chapter where Future Trunks mistaken RoF Gohan for Yamcha? :D

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Toei lurks the web for getting info about fans' desires, may it be forums, Reddit, YouTube vids, blogs or sites, when they see many people like something they make it happen, I bet that people being grumpy about no Yamcha appearance in RoF made them make the 70th DBS episode, it's still not an excuse to avoid making something so easy to be executed (source: am animator, IF I can fix this unofficially why can't them do it officially?). It'd be BOTH Out & In-Universe "historic justice" with these two characters (Chiaotzu haven't matter for 27 years since the Nappa battle, and Yamcha wasn't for 22 years if you count the DBZ Kid Buu Saga fillers). Dragon Ball Super is all about FAN SERVICE, we got that they're trying to promote Roshi for younger audience who never saw the original DB (he admitted to be juicing it up with the "Paradise Herb" last episode when Goku & Krillin wondered about that herb) but the fact he was against these lackeys while Yamcha who ranks higher than Tien in Japanese fan polls was absent for whatever reason & Chiaotzu (whose potential was never exploited) was "feared for" is just lazy & poor writing, that's not fan service here considering the number of punching bags they got there.

BTW Can someone provide a link for this Dragon Ball SD piece/chapter where Future Trunks mistaken RoF Gohan for Yamcha? :D
They should have fixed it in Super, sucks that they didn't but if they let him do more in future arcs then it doesn't matter for me. The baseball episode made it up for me in RoF, and then the Uni 7 team brought us back to square one.

Toei knows a lot of people like Yamcha, that's why we got that new spin off manga based on him, the baseball episode, and the raid boss in Xenoverse.

I'm sure they're aware that there are many who are upset over Roshi being chosen over Yamcha or Gotenks, so I expect them to throw the characters who were left out a bone somewhere during the arc. Like having some salty guy from the tournament attack Earth because he lost to uni 7, so Yamcha,Goten,Trunks, and Chaotzu have to fight him. Something like that.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm

No matter how strong Master Roshi is, he never trained with King Kai. They would have been better assets. along with Gotenks and Buu and 18

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:39 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:They should have fixed it in Super, sucks that they didn't but if they let him do more in future arcs then it doesn't matter for me. The baseball episode made it up for me in RoF, and then the Uni 7 team brought us back to square one.

Toei knows a lot of people like Yamcha, that's why we got that new spin off manga based on him, the baseball episode, and the raid boss in Xenoverse.

I'm sure they're aware that there are many who are upset over Roshi being chosen over Yamcha or Gotenks, so I expect them to throw the characters who were left out a bone somewhere during the arc. Like having some salty guy from the tournament attack Earth because he lost to uni 7, so Yamcha,Goten,Trunks, and Chaotzu have to fight him. Something like that.
These LITTLE gestures don't make up for the common view of Yamcha's character (still) as a "worthless weakling", not to mention Chiaotzu whose character got shrunk in importance to even less than Puar & Oolong. I come around many who due to RoF think that Roshi (or even Jaco... WTF?) is stronger than both. Yeah, I hope so too for the next Universal Survival Arc, but I doubt they had something in mind for them (Yamcha & Chiaotzu, as Goten & Trunks got their RoF time in Super) besides being there in the crowd. I remember when there was an hype in Reddit Team Universe 7 could actually be this:http://imgur.com/Yd0rxFh
FoolsGil wrote:No matter how strong Master Roshi is, he never trained with King Kai. They would have been better assets. along with Gotenks and Buu and 18
You'd be getting an upvote for this comment if I could. ;)
Last edited by Israelite Wolfman on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

I'd like to have seen them battling Frieza's army, but I don't think Toriyama would have done such a thing, since he thinks Yamcha is just a joke character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:29 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd like to have seen them battling Frieza's army, but I don't think Toriyama would have done such a thing, since he thinks Yamcha is just a joke character.
Or as Christopher Sabat once defined Yamcha: "When I first began voicing him I thought to myself: "that's one hell of a cool character, it'll probably have a solid role in the series", that was before the internet age so we didn't knew where our characters were going to, then his role shrunk drastically and all people could remember of him was the Saibaman explosion or being pierced to near-death state by Android 20". That's, my friend, Toriyama's lack of love for the character narrated by other.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:Image The "Tree of Might" is one of my favorite movies due to having all the original Z-Fighters fight in the front line there. Again: I'd doubt a bunch of low level Frieza Soldiers even Roshi & Jaco managed to defeat by the hundreds would be a problem to either Yamcha or Chiaotzu who are leagues above them in power.
My favourite movie for the same reason. That picture really captures the beauty of that movie, all the comparable "weaklings" teaming together to try and make a difference. I really need to watch Tree of Might again soon.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.