The Rant thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

The Rant thread

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:56 am

Now as a beyond newbie myself I realized that there was a startlingly little amount of dragon ball rants. So I've decided to create this thread so that if you have any need to rant you can do it in here, thus not clogging up the other threads. Also please be civil about it all.

Gosh I hope, what I'm doing is within the rules :?

i really hope that I won't regret this...

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Rant thread

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 am

WHY DO PEOPLE CALL FREEZA, FRIEZA!!! WHY FUNIMATION!!!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am

simtek34 wrote:WHY DO PEOPLE CALL FREEZA, FRIEZA!!! WHY FUNIMATION!!!
Nobody "calls" him Frieza. It's said the same way. A really stupid spelling yeah that'll I'll agree

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am

Fuck it, why not.

My biggest problem with the fanbase right now is the overabundance of superficial comparisons. For example, that one thread we had a short while back where everyone was saying that because Freeza killed all the Saiyans, he was being based off of Hitler. Or my own personal pet peeve: people saying that Metal Cooler is a ripoff of Mecha Freeza, despite the circumstances, character, setting, plot, and essentially everything else (besides "alien gets mechanically enhanced") being totally different.

People are making comparisons on this site so broad that they don't even have meaning. Goku and Wolverine both have crazy shaped black hair, love to fight, eat a lot, and spend most of their time in the woods. They're practically the same character, right?!?!
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Fuck it, why not.

My biggest problem with the fanbase right now is the overabundance of superficial comparisons. For example, that one thread we had a short while back where everyone was saying that because Freeza killed all the Saiyans, he was being based off of Hitler. Or my own personal pet peeve: people saying that Metal Cooler is a ripoff of Mecha Freeza, despite the circumstances, character, setting, plot, and essentially everything else (besides "alien gets mechanically enhanced") being totally different.

People are making comparisons on this site so broad that they don't even have meaning. Goku and Wolverine both have crazy shaped black hair, love to fight, eat a lot, and spend most of their time in the woods. They're practically the same character, right?!?!
Piccolo Daimao was based off of Torishima, so that means that Torishima was a mass-murdering psycopath that only wants death and destruction.

Merged Zamasu
Banned

Post by Merged Zamasu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Where do I begin?

I despise people who think Trunks killed Zamasu. Trunks didn't do ANYTHING at all. He sliced Zamasu in half, so? Zamasu still had an immortal half, he could have kept fighting forever. Trunks also didn't destroy Zamasu's body. Zamasu self-destructed, so that he could unleash his true potential. Then, i laugh at those who think Vegito would crush Zamasu. Hah, that is a nice joke. After Episode 67, there is no doubt: Zamasu is leagues above Vegito or any other mortal. Vegito's strongest attack couldn't scratch Merged Zamasu, let alone Bodiless Zamasu.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Fuck it, why not.

I have a problem with that too, the oversimplification of the themes in the series because people make jump-comparisons immediately to something barely similar, and then claim it to be true. That phase people had in 2008 where every new Shounen anime that came out was accused of being a rip-off of the 'flawless' DBZ was annoying was a real headache for me. Or even in-series where people complain about every villain having any sort of similarity to another by the most generic standard. "Baby is a rip off of Buu because they take over bodies" despite them being completely different forms of the concept itself. The excessive dumbing down of things just so people can complain about the lack of originality in areas that aren't the actual source of the series' faults of it.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:59 pm

My biggest gripe with the Dragon Ball fandom is the overabundance of battlepower whores and maniacs desperately wanting for any DB related media to pander and align with their battlepower list to feel vindicated. Another great offence from this group is them labelling something as bad or good depending on how much the products match with their fanfiction of battlepower.

How hard is for them to understand that the franchise dismissed them long time ago? How hard is for them to understand the concept of strenght as the plot demands? How hard is for them to understand that Dragon Ball is not a RPG? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:My biggest gripe with the Dragon Ball fandom is the overabundance of battlepower whores and maniacs desperately wanting for any DB related media to pander and align with their battlepower list to feel vindicated. Another great offence from this group is them labelling something as bad or good depending on how much the products match with their fanfiction of battlepower.

How hard is for them to understand that the franchise dismissed them long time ago? How hard is for them to understand the concept of strenght as the plot demands? How hard is for them to understand that Dragon Ball is not a RPG? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Oh yes. I see this now more than ever as within the grating obsession people have with Gohan's "hidden power" that they treat as some sort of infinite thing.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm

This thread will do wonders on a psychological level for a lot of people.
You should advertise it in your signature - If you want to get wild and let your frustrations out, come here :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 pm

My biggest pet peeve isn't even on this forum, but I see that a lot of users have accounts here and in this particular other forum, so I will throw it in here in case this starts popping up here.

I can't even summarize it, so I will give an example.
Person 1: "Hey, who do you think would win between Super Saiyan 4 Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku?"
Person 2: "ssjb goku >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ssj4 goku"

Person 1: "But why? How did you come up with that?"
Person 2: "ssj4 gokus pl was 58838931481215 and ssjb gokus pl is 8457838748711256098271896134622061"

Person 1: "How did you come up with that?"
Person 2: "bc piccolo said that ssjb gokus pl was unlike anything he felt before"
In a nutshell, that irritates me. People created their little lists of powers based on -- I don't know what. A unicorn galloped across a rainbow and coughed out a magical fairy that waived her magic wand and a list of battle powers appeared on these people's computers. They do not have real conversations; they just regurgitate their make-belief numbers at you. Personally, I don't care about battle powers, versus threads, etc. But it gets nauseating when every thread turns into that. Why? Because many DB fans want to oversimplify everything into numbers. I'm so glad that Super is tripping most of them up right now and they can't really come up with any numbers. But then again, it's not like they had any reasonable basis for numbers in the majority of Z either.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm

I feel like we'e got at least two threads for this kind of stuff.

I guess you could say constant repetitious fluff threads for the sake of forcing discussion are a peeve of mine lately?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Zephyr wrote:I feel like we'e got at least two threads for this kind of stuff.

I guess you could say constant repetitious fluff threads for the sake of forcing discussion are a peeve of mine lately?
At least "fluff threads" can generate some discussion.

I'm tired of "fluff posts," with the various yes-men just agreeing with the general trend in order to rack up insane post counts without actually contributing anything. The ones you see when you log onto the forum and there is only one name on the "latest post" for every section. This has gotten crazy since the influx of people from Battle of Gods.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Why do people try to defends Super's garbage writing.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Why do people try to defends Super's garbage writing.
Not sure if this belongs in the unpopular DB opinions thread or not...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Zephyr wrote:I feel like we'e got at least two threads for this kind of stuff.

Agreed. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::