What I love about the more recent fights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puaru
Banned

What I love about the more recent fights

Post by Puaru » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:20 pm

One thing I really love about the fights in Dragon Ball Super is that all of the characters remembers their abilities. This is probably the one good thing about Toriyama not being the om sole writer for the show. We all know about his tendency to forget details, including specific techniques that the characters learned throughout the series. Skills like the Mafuba and Kaioken just came and went in the original series. But in Super, the moves that the characters learned in previous arcs are back and in use, probably thanks to other writers for the series being DB fans themselves. From what I understand, Toriyama comes up with the basic idea, and other people fill in the specifics, and this is the best thing to come out of this arangement. One of my favorite moments in the entire DBS anime was when Goku out of the blue landed a single kaioken-powered kick on the fused Zamasu/Black during that battle. I can't even really explain it in words, but it was just so intensely satisfying seeing Goku casually make use of a technique he learned decades ago (and by that I mean decades ago both from an in-universe AND out-of-universe point of view) as if it was the most obvious thing in the world to do.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: What I love about the more recent fights

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:23 pm

He used the Kaioken against Hit too, though.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 pm

He isn't that forgetful, his forgetful reputation is self proclaimed..

It's good if you like the characters shooting beams and ending things, but most probably it's done because it far easier than planning a well choreographed fight
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:24 pm

The best scenario would be to have Toriyama script the fights pace by pace like he used to (since he is indeed the one true master of creating well coreographed, exciting DB fights, there is no question about that) but to have a DB fanboy sitting next to him and be like "you do remember the gallic gun right?" and "dont forget the kienzan exists". Toriyama's genuine skill combined with the DB knowledge of a true fanboy could create the kind of epic battles that we all long to see.

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Puaru wrote:The best scenario would be to have Toriyama script the fights pace by pace like he used to (since he is indeed the one true master of creating well coreographed, exciting DB fights, there is no question about that) but to have a DB fanboy sitting next to him and be like "you do remember the gallic gun right?" and "dont forget the kienzan exists". Toriyama's genuine skill combined with the DB knowledge of a true fanboy could create the kind of epic battles that we all long to see.
That would be the best scenario, where you'd get the kind of attention to detail that we've looked for, for years.