Immoral things that Goku has done so far in the series.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Immoral things that Goku has done so far in the series.

Post by keyz05 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Has anyone pointed out anywhere that Goku isn't 100% good and has tendencies to do bad things? If so, can someone point it out and explain why that's bad?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Immoral things that Goku has done so far in the series.

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm

The big one that comes to my mind is letting Vegeta live just so he could one day fight him again. I mean, there was zero indication that Vegeta would turn into a good guy, so this was Goku pretty much putting the entire planet at jeopardy just to add a notch to his belt. They barely, barely, barely survived the first Vegeta fight. To risk it again was foolish.

Besides that, I can't really name anything particularly bad that he does. Yes, he is shown to not care about his family with his goals (to get stronger) taking priority over others', but I think that letting Vegeta live was the biggest one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Goku giving Cell a senzu was absolutely ridiculous. That was most stupidly selfish he's ever done. Never mind that that Goku had no idea just how strong Cell was, but it was already an insane gamble to throw Gohan into the lions den without any plan and just hoping that he'd be able to spontaneously tap into the hidden power that he saw when he was training with Gohan in the ROSAT and defeat Cell. I don't give a shit how much Goku loves fighting and a good competition, that was such a fucking reckless thing to do. It essentially put Gohan at a disadvantage. And for what? A fair fight? Fuck that nonsense. That's worse than the recklessly selfish shit he did in the Saiyan arc by letting Vegeta go. But at least in that occasion he was well aware of how much of a selfish thing it was to do.

Trying to whore out his Gohan's girlfriend (Videl) and Vegeta's wife (Bulma) was also a very jerkass thing to do, even given the circumstances.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Goku's gift to Cell, is prehaps a whole level of stupid. I won't go into much detail, as Lord Beerus explained why. But I'll focus on the Buu saga. Goku could have beaten Buu, he even confirmed it, so Goku was responsible for killing the entire population of the planet. All because he wanted the current generation to get off their asses. Even though he had to literally come back from the dead, and defeat the threat himself. Thus destroying what he originally intended.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Threatening to blast the Supreme Kai is pretty assholish. He's lucky he wasn't stripped of his body and his soul sent to hell.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Here the list of Goku immoral activities
    -sparring Vegeta for his own selfish needs
      -trowing a senzu to cell
        - asking naked pictures from videl and bulma and he literally ask his son to get naked pictures from videl and bulma
          -ditching his family just to train a uub
            - Threatening the supreme kai just to fight Vegeta
              -letting Majin Buu live because he want his generation to fight him
              Last edited by The gr on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
              Mostly active on discord.

Gog
              I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Threatening to blast the Supreme Kai is pretty assholish. He's lucky he wasn't stripped of his body and his soul sent to hell.
              Oh, I forgot about that. Man I would expect Vegeta would do that. but Goku?!? His super version is looking pretty good know

Merged Zamasu
              Banned

Post by Merged Zamasu » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Son Goku is the embodiement of mortals' violence, who would raise fists against the Gods, and Gods' incompetence, who allowed mortals to surpass them. Son Goku is also one of the big factors that triggered the sense of justice within Zamasu. Just as Black stated, had Goku never showed up, Zamasu could have had the chance to change his opinion of mortals. But Goku is a walking example that mortals are dangerous beings. How many worlds have been accidentally destroyed by Goku? How many planets have been ruined because of Goku's thirst for battle? If you ask me, Goku is far from being a good guy. He is the protagonist, but he is without a neutral character at best, as he has done a lot of very questionable acts. First and foremost, abusing Zamasu's hospitality to mock him and humiliate him.

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 pm

To be fair, it's not as though the fight against Vegeta wouldn't have happened had he not threatened Kaioshin. And screw self appointed deities. He shouldn't feel obligated to show deference to someone who didn't get the position through merit.
              Last edited by ABED on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
              The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
              "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
              Happiness is climate, not weather.

nickzambuto
              I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Was it really immoral that he chose not to kill Boo? I mean, it was a gamble on his part, absolutely. But immoral? It wasn't for selfish reasons, he wanted the younger generation to learn to get along without him. If Gohan and the kids weren't such screwups and actually managed to wisen up and mature, we'd all be praising Goku as a mentor. But since they failed and their master had to pick up the slack, Goku gets the blame.

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Goku also gets the blame because Toriyama came up with Super Saiyan 3 AFTER he had Goku battle Vegeta in a conflict where he had written Goku as going all out until he needed Goku to be a match for Majin Buu.
              The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
              I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Was it really immoral that he chose not to kill Boo? I mean, it was a gamble on his part, absolutely. But immoral? It wasn't for selfish reasons, he wanted the younger generation to learn to get along without him. If Gohan and the kids weren't such screwups and actually managed to wisen up and mature, we'd all be praising Goku as a mentor. But since they failed and their master had to pick up the slack, Goku gets the blame.
              It totally was, by not killing Buu, goku was indirectly responsible for killing off the entire race of earth. Yes it was complete and utter irresponsible gamble. Yes it was immoral. The road to hell is paved with good intentions tis' a good quote, and it perfectly sums it up, just because Goku hadn't a selfish thought in his head while doing it, doesn't make it any less immoral.

And that's another problem Goku should have fucking known that his first son Gohan, is a sheep and always manages to screw up without him around, and why the fuck would he trust it to Goten, and Trunks, the two children, not even out of school. But it didn't succeed, and were all shitting on Goku, for being an immoral idiot. You mean the two 11 year old's, and the 16 year old kid, who. Can't. Even. Legally. Fucking. Drive yet.

They failed no shit. Goku is just an immoral, irresponsible idiot. Those super incarnation, is following perfectly.

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 pm

It wasn't immoral, it was a mistake. He made it honestly believing more harm would come in the long run by constantly intervening. An honest mistake, even one with bad consequences, isn't what is meant by "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
              And that's another problem Goku should have fucking known that his first son Gohan, is a sheep and always manages to screw up without him around
              No he doesn't.

Gog
              I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:15 pm

ABED wrote:It wasn't immoral, it was a mistake. He made it honestly believing more harm would come in the long run by constantly intervening. An honest mistake, even one with bad consequences, isn't what is meant by "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Okay. What the fuck, this doesn't have to do with anything I said. Goku came back, and when the big bad presented himself, Goku didn't use the powers to end his ass. And by doing so killed 7 billion people. The road to hell is paved with good intentions seems pretty self explanatory

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Gog wrote:
              ABED wrote:It wasn't immoral, it was a mistake. He made it honestly believing more harm would come in the long run by constantly intervening. An honest mistake, even one with bad consequences, isn't what is meant by "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Okay. What the fuck, this doesn't have to do with anything I said. Goku came back, and when the big bad presented himself, Goku didn't use the powers to end his ass. And by doing so killed 7 billion people. The road to hell is paved with good intentions seems pretty self explanatory
              Writing "fuck" all the time doesn't make your point any better. And it has everything to do with what you wrote. Goku didn't use his full powers because at that point, Toriyama hadn't decided to make him that strong. Goku flat out tells Piccolo that he couldn't have defeated Buu, but even if he could, he shouldn't because he's not part of the living world. Later when he needs Goku to be stronger, he has Goku say he lied. When has Goku lied like that? What would he gain by not telling Piccolo the truth especially after he just told him that even if he could, he shouldn't? Toriyama created an inconsistency, so I wouldn't blame that on Goku. I would blame Toriyama's fly by the seat of his pants writing style and inconsistent characterization.

No, the road to hell has a different meaning than what you are attributing to it.

Gog
              I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm

ABED wrote: Writing "fuck" all the time doesn't make your point any better. And it has everything to do with what you wrote. Goku didn't use his full powers because at that point, Toriyama hadn't decided to make him that strong. Goku flat out tells Piccolo that he couldn't have defeated Buu, but even if he could, he shouldn't because he's not part of the living world. Later when he needs Goku to be stronger, he has Goku say he lied. When has Goku lied like that? What would he gain by not telling Piccolo the truth especially after he just told him that even if he could, he shouldn't? Toriyama created an inconsistency, so I wouldn't blame that on Goku. I would blame Toriyama's fly by the seat of his pants writing style and inconsistent characterization.

No, the road to hell has a different meaning than what you are attributing to it.
              Its not supposed to, just something I do. Get over it, when I'm messing around I swear, but know I don't have any reason too. Now, Goku did use his damn powers against Buu, remember he transformed into super saiyan three against him. He used it, he also flat out humiliated Buu in battle, and showed that he could easily have ended the battle at any moment. It doesn't matter what happens before that point a retcon is a retcon, you can't like it but. Its. official.

But unfortunately Toriyama's fly by the seat of his pants, and inconsistent characterization, is all the we've got.

Also, the road to hell is used to describe good men. doing what they believe to have good intentions. But are terrible in every way. Sorta like Zamasu... Or Goku when he managed to wipe out the entire population of earth, and kill his entire family

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm

But unfortunately Toriyama's fly by the seat of his pants, and inconsistent characterization, is all the we've got.
              Then you don't have anything. You are judging based on a false premise.
              Also, the road to hell is used to describe good men.
              Not necessarily. It's usually about rationalizations.
              Now, Goku did use his damn powers against Buu, remember he transformed into super saiyan three against him. He used it, he also flat out humiliated Buu in battle, and showed that he could easily have ended the battle at any moment. It doesn't matter what happens before that point a retcon is a retcon, you can't like it but. Its. official.
              Yes, and remember when he was fighting Vegeta at his maximum? That happened as well.

Gog
              I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 pm

ABED wrote: Then you don't have anything. You are judging based on a false premise.
              I am judging on what the story is presenting us. What are you presenting to me?
              ABED wrote: Not necessarily. It's usually about rationalizations.
              No, you can interpret whatever way you want.
              ABED wrote:Yes, and remember when he was fighting Vegeta at his maximum? That happened as well.
              Yes, and remember when he unleashed super saiyan three, and kicked Buu's ass. That happened, hmmm yes that happened as well.

rereboy
              Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:40 pm

keyz05 wrote:Has anyone pointed out anywhere that Goku isn't 100% good and has tendencies to do bad things? If so, can someone point it out and explain why that's bad?
              Most of Goku's "bad things" come from the necessary disconnect between reality and the Dragon Ball world. Just like "The three Stooges" are only funny if we never seriously think about what they do (which would translate to serious injury and eventual death/murder), Goku also only really works as a fictional character in the Dragon World and not a real person.

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 pm

But the story is inconsistent, so you are picking and choosing the facts when making a moral evaluation of a character.
              Yes, and remember when he unleashed super saiyan three, and kicked Buu's ass. That happened, hmmm yes that happened as well.
              Which is my point. He's written as doing both and yet you are choosing to ignore a giant plot hole even when making an evaluation of a character. When judging a person or a character you have to take in ALL the facts.

I think Rereboy makes a good point. Goku's not a grounded character, so I see little reason to hold a strong opinion about his ethics.