How do DB's international sales get divvied up?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

How do DB's international sales get divvied up?

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 pm

So one thing I've noticed from VA interviews, specificly on DB, but also across the board, is that, because it is not an American show, just an import, the people who work on these things, arent included into the success of the show. Pokémon/YGO etc, Naruto, DBZ, etc made millions for licensors, & while I feel that sort of low-end contract pushes away quality folks from joining the project, & by extension would lower its quality overall...I have wondered some things.

JP VO is usually also on the disc, right? Occasnly, I think (to troll/remind certain folks that DB is an exclusively-Japanese property)...what if Masako Nozawa & the rest of the JP cast) makes bank off of our/international sales? While itd reflect badly on the license-holder, especially when one considers that DB's dub is a totally dfrnt show..I can easily imagine it as part of the licensing contract. In the past, Toei has also released a (really bad dub) Slam Dunk on DVD, no JP track..wonder how that works? How do sales of things like "Rock the Dragon" work?

I have also wondered what Toei's LA branch is for if it isnt used for localizations...but anyway, they do the typical anime license/sell to small distribution company, but how much do they make off of that? (To use the example of NA releases) FUNi pays for a DVD authoring/translation, & often produce dubs.

* How much does Toei profit from that, how much does FUNi keep, etc? How does all this work worldwide?

* How do profits from secondhand dubs (ie dubs based on dubs, like -especially- the Americanized DB dub) work, using none of the original tracks, but dub tracks?

* Finally, if (especially in DB's case) these dubs have such loyal audiences (for better or for worse tbh), how come there is no law that prevent such massive projects from going essentially unpaid?

"Where is all my money going when I buy DB merchandise?" Arguably, a fan of the DBZ Americanized dub has no reason to pay for the DVD/BD - it's not like it supports more of that stuff being released, & it doesnt support the folks that worked on it. These are some basic questions I had in mind. Just sort of stream-of-conscience stuff, brainstorming & all...feel free to put out more questions..