Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm

To clarify I mean in popularity and legacy not standalone quality.

Throughout the mid-80's to the early-90's, Dragon Ball had taken the world by storm. Nothing before was quite like it and it was like the largest thing in Japan. It's also a major inspiration for many other titles (even YYH and HxH take some major cues from DB) with no better example than One Piece.

I had always viewed One Piece as the true spiritual successor to Dragon Ball as no series besides really gave that same feeling... that quirky, simplex and epic story but the student may have surpassed the master. The One Piece manga has outsold the Dragon Ball manga making it the current best-selling manga series, the anime gets better tv ratings than Super (which is somewhat new), and the Film Z movie grossed more than either Battle of Gods or Resurrection F worldwide in Japan alone.

So how is it... did One Piece officially take the throne or does Dragon Ball still sit on top of it?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 pm

This "debate" ended, at least in Japan, years ago when One Piece's manga sales surpassed Dragon Ball's. The rest of the world may have no idea what One Piece even is, but Japan certainly does.

At this point, it's Dragon Ball that's playing catch-up.

Also, One Piece's story isn't "simple".

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes, One Piece has surpassed Dragonball. It does everything Dragonball does but better. HOWEVER, there wouldn't be One Piece without Dragonball. That will always mean something.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 am

I think it's very important to keep in mind that although One Piece has outsold Dragon Ball, it also has more chapters. It's not so cut and dry.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:27 am

In Japan I'm sure it has surpassed DB but the rest of the world prefers Dragon Ball much more.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:15 am

Yep. One Piece is the king for the past I don't know how many years. I must add while Dragon Ball when it was in serialization as far as I remember didn't face much competition, atleast not until Yuu Yuu Hakusho showed up. One Piece, on the other hand faced competition against Naruto and Hunter X Hunter (in its early years), two big titles and still came out on top.

Also, Toriyama was a huge name thanks to Dr.Slump and that played a part in making Dragon Ball even bigger in Japan. That's not to say name matters most or anything, but it definitely helps. Oda was not a big name, I mean he was known among fan-circles, but he was a nobody when compared to the likes of Toriyama and Togashi. It was really impressive to see this guy reach the top.

I've just recently started reading the One Piece manga and while it has issues, the world Oda has created is amazing. Also, the anime has helped in improving several of my favorite animators' quality and styles. Tate became a star in it, Shida has done some of his most incredible work in it, then there's Hayashi, Watanabe and Oonishi who also have done some amazing stuff. I'm thankful for that too.

It'll be very hard for another WSJ title to top One Piece, and One Piece is still on-going. It has a very strong impact culturally. I don't think it'll or any other title will reach Gundam levels of popularity and legacy, but it definitely will be remembered for a long time.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 am

nickzambuto wrote:I think it's very important to keep in mind that although One Piece has outsold Dragon Ball, it also has more chapters. It's not so cut and dry.
Yeah, almost 350 more chapters at that. If OP ended around the ~500-600 range, things might be different.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 am

floofychan333 wrote:In Japan I'm sure it has surpassed DB but the rest of the world prefers Dragon Ball much more.
The world loves Pocket Monsters the most.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:22 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:In Japan I'm sure it has surpassed DB but the rest of the world prefers Dragon Ball much more.
That's a videogame franchise with an anime commercial. Hardly comparable.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:28 am

One Piece does the world building I wish Dragon Ball did, but I like Dragon Ball's characters and art design more.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 am

One piece surpassed Dragon ball along time ago, but their are still alllooo~ooott of flaws to it, now lets rant on one piece.

Luffy is simply an inferior protagonist, people may complain about DBS Goku being dumb, he. Has nothing on Luffy, the man is so dumb, he's even mocked ferociously in universe for that.

The fan service, oh god the fan service now in another thread, the reason why I was so opposed to the idea of fanservice in the first place, that fear of it originated in one piece which has so much of it, that it ends up bloated, and annoying, and detracts from the whole experience. When Nami goes around in her bikini the whole time, and Robin looks like a hooker. They both do.

Sanji, just a personal pet peeve. But I'd like this sexist little troglodyte to be pounded into the floor, and ripped to shreds, while getting some character development of course.

That snake bitch, you know the one who's queen of the women's island, yeah that's the one. She's just one of the most vile characters I've ever had the displeasure of ever reading. It also doesn't help the fact that her entire romance with Luffy is the single worst, and stupid thing the show has ever done, ever. That was also rushed to hell, and she's basically being pushed as Luffy's wife, from the get go.

The designs, man I don't know what, but the whole straw hat crew got hit by the ugly stick after the time skip.

The art style, okay I know Dragon ball has a weird art style, but One piece blows it out of the water. The character's mouths stretching out like anaconda's is prehaps the worst thing ever, as its just so off putting to look at. Also the women's physics are just laughable most of the time, I often wonder how they don't just fall apart, with their paper thin hour glass body's and boobs bigger than their head's.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Yeah, Pokemon is video game King.
I didn't know there was anyone who actually called it Pocket Monsters though. It just seems so strange

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:06 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Yeah, Pokemon is video game King.
It is also the king in terms of popularity worldwide. Not just video games, toys, other merch stuff, the movies, comics, card games, anime et cetera all boost it's popularity to insane levels. It's impact on the world I would say is too strong and comparable to other powerhouses like Star Wars and shit.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:08 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
It is also the king in terms of popularity worldwide. Not just video games, toys, other merch stuff, the movies, comics, card games, anime et cetera all boost it's popularity to insane levels. It's impact on the world I would say is too strong and comparable to other powerhouses like Star Wars and shit.
Noo.. The hedgehog, and the Mario, are the true powerhouses.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:09 am

Gog wrote: Noo.. The hedgehog, and the Mario, are the true powerhouses.
Oh, definitely. They are super popular as well.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 am

Gog wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
The Mouse owns mega franchises now.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:13 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: It is also the king in terms of popularity worldwide. Not just video games, toys, other merch stuff, the movies, comics, card games, anime et cetera all boost it's popularity to insane levels. It's impact on the world I would say is too strong and comparable to other powerhouses like Star Wars and shit.
Pickachu, is only the figure head to the golden horse

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:17 am

Gog wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Wrong Mouse. *Ho Ho!*
Bow before Emperor Mickey!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:21 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Gog wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Wrong Mouse. *Ho Ho!*
Bow before Emperor Mickey!
The golden horse, our lord and savior Arceus, stands atop the emperor, as he is literally god. Then comes Popo naturally

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:48 am

One Piece is becoming rather overlong IMO. I sometimes think that Oda wanted to keep the story episodic but needed some story arcs for the shonen tradition.

I do not think that OP has surpassed DB, because the two are different enough to not be compared that way (one is pirates, the other is otherdimensional martial arts) and because OP was inspired by DB.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.