The shipping thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: The shipping thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:59 pm

ABED wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ABED wrote:The Moonlighting Curse?
I have no idea what that is.

Please educate me, sir. :)
On the TV show Moonlighting, starring Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd, the central 'ship had great chemistry. Much of it was predicated on their sexual tension. However, once they consummated the relationship, the tension was gone and the quality of the show diminished. Now whenever a show's central will they/won't they couple consummates the relationship and the show drops in quality, people say it's the Moonlighting Curse.
But... why didn't the show just end right there and then when they become a couple?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ABED wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I have no idea what that is.

Please educate me, sir. :)
On the TV show Moonlighting, starring Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd, the central 'ship had great chemistry. Much of it was predicated on their sexual tension. However, once they consummated the relationship, the tension was gone and the quality of the show diminished. Now whenever a show's central will they/won't they couple consummates the relationship and the show drops in quality, people say it's the Moonlighting Curse.
But... why didn't the show just end right there and then when they become a couple?
I don't know. Here's the thing about The Moonlighting Curse, it's all a matter of opinion. There are plenty of other reasons why the show declined and it's not some hard and fast rule that having characters consummate a relationship that sexual tension is relieved or the writing has to slip. It does have a tendency to happen. I don't think shows always have to be about getting the central ship together as though it's all smooth sailing after that. Anyone who has been in a relationship can attest to problems not ending after a couple sleeps together.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:58 pm

I now ship.

Coola X Frost.

The coldest couple

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 pm

TFS Nappa X Colonel Violet
She's loaded with funds she stole from the RR Base and can invest in his media company.
Leads to Commander Red and Staff Officer Black resurrection and joining Nappa's media company.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 pm

My ships:
Black x Zamasu in Super
Vegeta x Bulma in BoG
Gohan x Videl and Goku x Vegeta in Z (Buu arc)
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Super Buu x Piccolo OTP
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 pm

mabalia wrote: And I'd like to add Bra and Pan too, I like them together. It's because we know nothing about Bra and her personality that's easy to make a headcanon involving her, particulaly
You like them together, yet know nothing about one of the characters? Can you really ship two characters when not knowing anything about them?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Kanassa wrote:
mabalia wrote: And I'd like to add Bra and Pan too, I like them together. It's because we know nothing about Bra and her personality that's easy to make a headcanon involving her, particulaly
You like them together, yet know nothing about one of the characters? Can you really ship two characters when not knowing anything about them?

Yes, I can :D . This is the beauty of shipping, for some fans if the characters are beautiful and are beautiful together, that's a valid motive, even if they never interacted (not that I think like that but you get the idea). In the case of Bra and Uub, I like the cliche of rich girl and poor boy, both of them with so much potential like fighters and finding in each other the mutual understanding of the crazy world they live. With Pan and Bra, there are also potential in the dynamic of their relationship, they're heiress to powerfull families in the dragon ball universe, both from their human and saiyan side, they could relate with what the other feel and think.

I ship the crack couples I ship for the potential they have. If Toriyama/Toei makes Bra an awful character (for my tastes), so I wouldn't bother shipping her with anyone. Characters that I dislike I ignore and wouldn't spend my time thinking of them. And I don't have trouble accepting whatever pairing they decide to give to Bra in canon, with one exception: Goten and Bra, they're my NOTP.

RisanF
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:34 am

Most of my ships tend to be non-canon, and they usually involve Goku. I know Goku seems diametrically opposed to the concept of shipping in general, but I think that makes for an entertaining challenge, trying to write Goku in a relationship and make it believable. I guess I'm like Goku in that regard: always looking for a challenge. :lol:

Anyway, here are my ships:

Goku/Bulma, the classic Dragon Ball pair, was the first ship I ever wrote about. My fanfic, "Makafushigi Adventure", is still the most popular thing I've ever done. Even 17 years later, it still gets read and reviewed.

This is my OTP for Dragon Ball, ever since I watched the "Mystical Adventure" VHS. It's fun writing Goku with a girl that basically likes the same thing he likes, and is the exact opposite of Chi-Chi. (no, I don't care that she's a robot; haven't you seen My Life As A Teenage Robot? :P )

This is something that came about when I was doing my Goku/Arale fanfics, and I ended up liking this as well. In Dragon Ball, Chi-Chi had the misconception that Goku was some sort of romantic person, but Obotchaman actually is that kind of person.

"Curse of the Blood Rubies" was actually the first Dragon Ball thing I ever saw. I wish Goku had more interaction with Penny/Pansy in that movies; he's kind of narratively adrift the whole film. I also like Goku/Snow.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 pm

I don't know why, but I suddenly got it into my head to ship Piccolo with Android 18.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:40 pm

I ship Goku with Hulk Hogan, and I ship Videl with Liam Neeson.
floofychan333 wrote:I'm sure Dragon Ball will end with Goku romantically carrying Vegeta into the sunset because they're the only two people in the world so devoted to their training.
Yes, and they'll get married, and Super Saiyan 3 Goku will put the ring on Majin Vegeta's finger.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:01 am

Coola X Frost has been replaced with.

Coola X Colonel Violet

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 am

I just realised that one of the reasons I like this franchise so much is because "shipping" didn't seem like such a thing for this fanbase.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:51 am

Bullza wrote:I just realised that one of the reasons I like this franchise so much is because "shipping" didn't seem like such a thing for this fanbase.
Boi, there's five pages of pure shipping. But yeah, this would be a thousand times bigger in nearly every other franchises. But DB

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 am

Vados x Zangya

Blue skin lesbo OTP is the best :evil:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Vados x Zangya

Blue?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:51 pm

RisanF wrote:

Goku/Bulma, the classic Dragon Ball pair, was the first ship I ever wrote about. My fanfic, "Makafushigi Adventure", is still the most popular thing I've ever done. Even 17 years later, it still gets read and reviewed.
Happened on Shameless. What? The two actors who played Goku and Bulma in... Dr-Dr-Dr... Revisioned Balls Evolution get it on many times on Shameless. It's weird to see lol But yeah, I guess this could have been cool, but I picture the two hating each other after living together.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Bullza wrote:I just realised that one of the reasons I like this franchise so much is because "shipping" didn't seem like such a thing for this fanbase.
No worse than any useless debate we all have in this forum. I love shipping to be honest. A well done romance makes me smile. I'm a 31 year old straight male, and I'm man enough to admit it... that I'm a fan of romance on TV and movies, not about being a 31 year old man. Okay, that as well, but... this is getting weird.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Vados x Zangya

NO :evil: Vados is with a blue gemmed gentleman

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 am

That's probably because a lot of fans didn't see it until it was finished and maybe most knew who ended up as couples.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.