Just a reminder - Online Japanese fans look just like us

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Just a reminder - Online Japanese fans look just like us

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Jumpsokuhou brings us a few reactions to new Broli:

http://jumpsokuhou.com/archives/49334524.html

"It's a gag."

"lol" (草, or "grass/weed," which has taken on this meaning in Japanese chatrooms; the etymology here is super weird, but basically "wwwww," which is a netspeak representation of Japanese laughing onomatopoeia, somewhat resembles grass)

"Looks good?"

???? (sorry; "suddenly" something)

"Uuuuh ..."

"Is this official?"

"Dragon Ball has jumped the shark." (オワコン or 終わったコンテンツ; "becoming a passing fad".)

"Toriyama-sensei has really gotten senile, hasn't he?"

"Toriyama's approval is no longer there." (Not quite sure on the connotation here.)
> "It's sad ..."

Then a bunch of comments further down about either being excited to see it or bored by it, a few comments specifying that it might not be Broli, but another Saiyan with the Legendary Super Saiyan transformation, people wondering about Universe 6 vs. Universe 7, Freeza vs. Frost, references to Oolong's "Broli, not Broccoli" line, and at least one or two long comments about the fact that even though Toriyama's name is connected to the plot, he may not have as much influence as people think.

Stumbled across this earlier and figured I might as well report from the trenches. It's like staring into a mirror.

Speculate on the staggering implications of this miracle of global convalescence. If you press your hand against the ether, an identical hand presses back. We slowly spread our fingers synchroniously, and talk about how much Golden Freeza is a lazy retread or whatever.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: In case you were wondering - Online Japanese fans look just like us

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Those of us who've waded into the foreign communities are aware that they're mostly identical in every way. It's bizarre that so many people assume that our baggage and turmoil is an anomaly.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: In case you were wondering - Online Japanese fans look just like us

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Those of us who've waded into the foreign communities are aware that they're mostly identical in every way. It's bizarre that so many people assume that our baggage and turmoil is an anomaly.
Oh, totally. It just always gets me that these comments could appear under any English-language YouTube video. (And sometimes they do, in Japanese even.) And that they match plenty of comments we recognize almost word for word.

Always makes me more thankful for Kanzenshuu too, as much as it sometimes plays hosts to these types of reactions.

Edit -- I actually was a little surprised by the comment targeting Toriyama, now that I think about it. I guess I've managed never to see those before, and thought it was more of a Western phenomenon where we attach less significance to the manga.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Just a reminder - Online Japanese fans look just like us

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, we all know that the japanese fan base is nearly identical to us. No surprise there, there's just a few difference's.

1. They don't have kanzenshuu.

2. They don't have Gog.

But in all honesty, this really isn't a suprise

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Kek, this reminds me when Japanese fans were complaining about Little Mac's character added in Smash Bros, making comments like, "Who is this?" and "What's with this American character, its like telling Japan to get out!" and "Foreigners are really strange." Meanwhile Sakurai added 6 Fire Emblem characters and Americans just wanted Ridley, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. :lol:

Back to Dragonball though, is Gohan viewed the same way there as he is here? I assume the Saiyaman stuff is far more popular in Japan than the west given they know what it's a parody of. I just hope Japan fans want Gohan in action again.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 pm

precita wrote:Back to Dragonball though, is Gohan viewed the same way there as he is here? I assume the Saiyaman stuff is far more popular in Japan than the west given they know what it's a parody of. I just hope Japan fans want Gohan in action again.
I've never delved into it, but probably. If I tried to wade through Japanese fandom netspeak all day, I'd go insane.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 am

Cipher wrote:???? (sorry; "suddenly" something)
If you mean the 即ハボやからセーフ comment, then this might be of some help. Basically the idea is that the commenter will do, well, it quickly and therefore be safe (ie will finish before fem-Broly transforms).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Those of us who've waded into the foreign communities are aware that they're mostly identical in every way. It's bizarre that so many people assume that our baggage and turmoil is an anomaly.
Well, certainly some of it is the same, but some of it isn't. You're not going to find very many Japanese fans arguing Nozawa vs Schemmel or Kikuchi vs Faulkner.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 am

Herms wrote:
Cipher wrote:???? (sorry; "suddenly" something)
If you mean the 即ハボやからセーフ comment, then this might be of some help. Basically the idea is that the commenter will do, well, it quickly and therefore be safe (ie will finish before fem-Broly transforms).
Well. I'd ... actually like to go back to that being a knowledge gap. Thanks for the help on that one.

For what it's worth, if you ever get tired of translating official material, it might be fun to have more insight into the Japanese fandom. Usually it's same old-same old, but it's always kind of interesting to get takes from the domestic audience. I was searching specifically for reactions to Broli earlier (knowing he's a huge meme there; I thought the takes might be a little different and was actually a little surprised it was nearly identical back-and-forth on Super), but there's a ton I wouldn't know how to look for.

Edit -- Well. I've learned a lot tonight.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa ... 1398387458

Basically, the phrase I was missing is an abbreviated 2chan-ism for exploding over a casual encounter.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 am

Herms wrote:Well, certainly some of it is the same, but some of it isn't. You're not going to find very many Japanese fans arguing Nozawa vs Schemmel or Kikuchi vs Faulkner.
I mean, obviously that's not what I meant, I was just talking in general.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 am

The thing is aren't most Japanese fans double our age? In the west, most of us original fans are now in our mid to late 20's, having been introduced to the series during the dub in the late 90's.

But for Japanese fans they've been watching the show since the 80's and early 90's. They have a decade head start on the west. All the original Dragonball fans have got to be in their late 30's or early 40's by now. Granted I know there's new generation of fans who come in all the time, but the youngest ones via Kai are likely still teens right now.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 am

precita wrote:The thing is aren't most Japanese fans double our age? In the west, most of us original fans are now in our mid to late 20's, having been introduced to the series during the dub in the late 90's.

But for Japanese fans they've been watching the show since the 80's and early 90's. They have a decade head start on the west. All the original Dragonball fans have got to be in their late 30's or early 40's by now. Granted I know there's new generation of fans who come in all the time, but the youngest ones via Kai are likely still teens right now.
The sample I pulled was from a JUMP-centric board, so it's probably a younger crowd (compared to what you're suggesting) with some otaku presence. Dragon Ball's never really left public consciousness in Japan, so being in a late-teens to mid-twenties age range doesn't mean they couldn't have read the whole thing prior to Super airing.

I'd be super curious to see takes from first-generation fans still following current material, but I don't know how to find them. I remember kei mentioning a few times there wasn't really an in-depth Kanzenshuu-esque Dragon Ball board in Japan. It's all spread out.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 am

Gog wrote:Yes, we all know that the japanese fan base is nearly identical to us. No surprise there, there's just a few difference's.

2. They don't have Gog.

thank god they dont have you . they are safe

plus , why are you here too ???

anyway . i never thought japanese fans would be much different .this just confirms it

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

DSB wrote: thank god they dont have you . they are safe

plus , why are you here too ???

anyway . i never thought japanese fans would be much different .this just confirms it
*Smiles evilly, "oh but are they truly safe from the god Gog?" Gog asked evilly*

I am here because I was imprisoned thousands of years ago, and I was luckily enough to have a computer, and strangely enough there's a wifi signal in here...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Heh. This comment was my favorite:

"Toriyama-sensei has really gotten senile, hasn't he?"

This reads just like a youtube comment over here. Except it would be more like, "Toriyama really has gone senile."

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Cipher wrote:
precita wrote:Back to Dragonball though, is Gohan viewed the same way there as he is here? I assume the Saiyaman stuff is far more popular in Japan than the west given they know what it's a parody of. I just hope Japan fans want Gohan in action again.
I've never delved into it, but probably. If I tried to wade through Japanese fandom netspeak all day, I'd go insane.
Gohan's extremely popular over there too. I'm assuming the GS and ROF Gohan are more popular there too. I wouldn't be surprised if they're more accepting of how he turned out though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 am

Well, the Japanese fanbase aren't so different after all. It's just like those YouTube comments I keep reading whenever I scroll down from the video.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Gog wrote:Yes, we all know that the japanese fan base is nearly identical to us. No surprise there, there's just a few difference's.

2. They don't have Gog.

They don't have Floofychan333, everyone's favourite douche on Kanzenshuu either.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 pm

floofychan333 wrote:

2. They don't have Gog.

They don't have Floofychan333, everyone's favourite douche on Kanzenshuu either.
But Gog is the man who argues against stuff like Freeza's forms, a new type of low.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Gog wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:

2. They don't have Gog.

But Gog is the man who argues against stuff like Freeza's forms, a new type of low.
And I'm the dude who won't shut the hell up about how Canada will never get Super, which I'm sure everyone is sick of by now.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 am

floofychan333 wrote:
Gog wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
And I'm the dude who won't shut the hell up about how Canada will never get Super, which I'm sure everyone is sick of by now.
Huh, don't worry it'll happen eventually, what with America becoming a fascist country with Trump Net