Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello! Welcome to the we-don't-have-a-better-title-than-this "Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance" thread! Think of this as a complement to our own Jake/Herms' series of forum write-ups over in the "In-Universe" section.

In general, these threads are not ones necessarily created by any of the four Kanzenshuu staff members, but threads the community have unscientifically yet collectively agreed are important to understanding Dragon Ball, teach us all something new, or otherwise document something of historical value (likely in real-time).

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Do you feel there is a thread that fits this description? Something another community member has written that meets or exceeds the level of detail and scrutiny the Kanzenshuu staff would otherwise do themselves for the larger website as a whole? Respond with a link and your well-reasoned, well-written argument for its inclusion here!

As a general rule of thumb, please do not actually respond to any of these old threads linked below.

THE LIST
(in no particular order)

In "Dragon Ball's True Genre: We Need to Talk about Wuxia" (September 2015; creator: Kunzait_83), readers are led on a text- and image-rich tour of the wuxia genre, which undeniably shaped Dragon Ball beginning to end during its original serialization. Learn about the tales, stories, archetypes, tropes, and imagery that Toriyama (consciously or otherwise) directly pulled from to create Dragon Ball.

In "Better Sound Quality on Original Run of DBZ in Japan" (August 2009; creator: kei17), readers can see the beginnings of our community's discovery of higher-quality sound recordings for the series. In this more-recent thread, user/moderator Ajay sums things up a little more succinctly and with a bit more historical knowledge to reflect on since the original 2009 discoveries.

In "Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular" (February 2012; creator: Ashura), readers are taken through the process of performing extra color correction and clean-up on the official Dragon Box DVD release of the franchise. Concepts such as color cast, scripting, artifacting, and more are broken down in detail.

In "Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread" (December 2014; creator: eledoremassis02), readers can find detailed information about Viz's 2013-2016 "3-in-1" manga re-release, including censorship, misprints, and more.

In "Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion" (September 2013; creator: MagicBox), readers can re-live all of the announcements and hilarity of FUNimation's 2013-2014 Dragon Ball Z TV series release spanning nine "season" sets.

In "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman discussion" (June 2013; creator: Wobbuffet), readers can re-live the announcement of and not-so-secrecy behind 2013's Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, an all-new prequel to the Dragon Ball franchise by original author Akira Toriyama himself. Also, "Dragon Ball Minus" got shoved in there at some point.

In "Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: 'Battle of Gods'" (July 2012; creator: JulieYBM ), readers can re-live the (pre-)announcement through international release of the first theatrical Dragon Ball film in seventeen years.

In "Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'" (July 2014; creator: JulieYBM ), readers can re-live the (pre-)announcement through international release of the next modern-era theatrical Dragon Ball film.

In "Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub" (September 2010; creator: JulieYBM ), readers can learn all about the vaporware Ocean Studios dub of Dragon Ball Kai (from the original leaks to deleted announcements and everything in between), which is confirmed to not only exist but essentially be complete, yet will seemingly never see the light of day.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14416

I would like to submit for consideration the Ocean Dub Kai Thread. Regardless of the final state of the product, this thread has, for over six years, been a wellspring of information on the topic. Years of information from interviews, now-deleted notices from those involved in the dub, and behind-the-scenes details about Ocean Kai are included, and I think that this thread should be recognized as the font of information that it is.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

My suggestions:

Ajay's Super Animation Catalogue is an excellent guide on animation in general, as well as why Super's animation is the way it is. Countless examples are included to show the differences between each animator's style.

Ajay's Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread had users posts some of the most well drawn shots that the anime has created.

The Time Traveller's Camera Pans! thread saw the creation of loads of absolutely gorgeous combined-shots from various points in the series.

The two aforementioned threads do a great job of showing that, although the anime had its off-model moments, it looked beyond stellar when on-model.

Flame Dragon made a thread on New Animation VS Old Animation, which produced a lengthy discussion about animation and art. Most notably (to me, at least), kei17 and Metalwario64 go to great lengths to show exactly what it is about the modern anime's linework and shading style that is so different, by way of editing shots from the current anime to look more like those from the older anime.

Big Boss's General Yamamoto Rip off thread was really informative. It showed the extent to which Kenji Yamamoto had (unfortunately) plagiarized the music of other artists in composing music for Dragon Ball.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I know there's more but this is the only one that came to my mind:

The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30285

The reason why I am including this is because most of the people who shared their opinions did so because of their own experiences, is not something that you can get so easily, keeping in mind the level of honesty that may be behind each post.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 pm

I would submit my Vizbig reviews, but many of the images are broken: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11271 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15105

Also, the portuguese Tankobon: www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14757

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm

I propose DB_Fan1991's List of all foreign language dubs. While it doesn't give comprehensive information on each dub, it does make it easy to see how many dubs were made in various languages for specific episodes (as of this writing it's slightly out of date, but that's what the spreadsheet in the thread is for).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13606

May I suggest, the Freeza dub recast thread for Kai? Perhaps one of the best dub voices ever and one of the crucial changes for modern FUNi dubbed DB (That performance in Resurrection "F" was phenomenal!). I wasn't part of the community then but this thread was incredibly interesting to go through and seeing reactions and so many people flip opinions by the end a lot of people did not like it at first.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 pm

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I do have my Guide to Goku and Vegeta Boot Details. It's anal-retentive, but that kind of stuff is right up my alley.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

How about this thread on Goku's "hillbilly" speech mannerisms?

Brief though it was, I thought this was a very interesting thread in which we heard (well, via a second-hand source) from someone who disputed the notion that Goku's speech mannerisms are in line with that of a hillbilly in the original Japanese version, and contended instead that his speech is more in line with that of a "Yakuza gangster." Subsequent posts led to very interesting discussions on various Japanese dialects. My takeaway from it is that just how much of a hillbilly Goku really is is somewhat debatable, and it seems that whatever hillbilly mannerisms he may have in his speech may have been more of a creative decision on the part of Masako Nozawa than Akira Toriyama. Since Goku being a (possible) hillbilly is often one of the more surprising aspects for newcomers of the Japanese version to learn about, and whether he truly is a hillbilly or not, I thought this thread did a wonderful job of going into detail about Goku's speech quirks in the original Japanese version.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 am

I'l put my vote in for the Dragonbox threads from 2009.
I can't find them ATM, but the Dragonbox coming out in the US was HUGE news when it broke.

Also the season set thread.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4969

Even though we all generally dislike this release, it's still a big part of DB history in the west.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Sorry for the double post; but I'd also like to put up The Tori Bot's member rank thread up for consideration.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21309

It's a great insight into the the member ranks and how they work and the stories behind the special ranks provide a small look into the history of Kanzenshuu and it's members.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35264

Requesting adding the "Defining Fandom Generations" thread by SHINOBI-03, after seeing it pop up this morning. It's a really good look at the evolution of the U.S. fanbase, and is a fairly unique thread about a topic that has been popping up more and more recently.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39810

This thread is awesome because we now finally have all the changes done to the blu rays (so called "corrections") of Dragon Ball Super in one thread, compared to the TV airings.

CWCprime

Post by CWCprime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34820

This topic isn't really about information, but I still feel it is very important. The Dragon Radar program written by thejeremymenace is a godsend for those with the R2 Dragon Boxes but cannot enjoy them to the fullest due to the lack of subtitles. It is a simple and easy to use program, and the guide he has written for it spells everything out so that even not-so-tech-savvy folks can still benefit from it. I feel he has done a big service for English-speaking fans of the original Japanese version of the show, and it baffles me that the thread doesn't have more attention/activity.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Tyro has nominated my Dragon Ball Logos thread for inclusion, which I'm rather flattered by!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44417

Initially starting out as a forum post covering the manga logos, I eventually went nuts and decided to make an imgur gallery that showcases pretty much every original logo, and important variants, from throughout the franchise's history, with all of them arranged in chronological order. In the case of the manga's title page logos I even included lists for the Chapters those logos appeared in! The original forum post gallery is significantly out-dated, but the imgur gallery is the up-to-date extensive collection of these logos.