Why doesn't Goku speak incorrectly/improperly in the various dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why doesn't Goku speak incorrectly/improperly in the various dubs?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:03 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
KBABZ wrote:...but the speaking mannerisms combined with his design just... doesn't work in the West.
It doesn't work anywhere. In any time period.
Well apparently it "passes" in Japan where they seem to keep making this type of character without realizing the connotations... it's weird.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Also, I've always felt that if Dragon Ball was done in live action, the best casting choice for Goku would be a Hawaiian kid who speaks a mild form of Pidgin that would convey his looser way of speaking kinda well.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Also, I've always felt that if Dragon Ball was done in live action, the best casting choice for Goku would be a Hawaiian kid who speaks a mild form of Pidgin that would convey his looser way of speaking kinda well.
Any examples? I've never heard of Pidgin outside of New York.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 am

KBABZ wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Also, I've always felt that if Dragon Ball was done in live action, the best casting choice for Goku would be a Hawaiian kid who speaks a mild form of Pidgin that would convey his looser way of speaking kinda well.
Any examples? I've never heard of Pidgin outside of New York.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaolMcl8v0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRXAbUiVoo

Those are obviously way on the heavy aside, but you'll get the gist.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: People back then and even just a couple of years ago weren't so uptight but now many of them call everything racist, sexist, cultural appropriation and so on.

It's how it is, I guess. At least FUNimation didn't try to change Popo's color to who knows what.
Yes, because before derogatory behavior such as those were often swept under the rug or covered up, so think before you speak.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Re-quoting my post in the hopes Kunzait will see it. I put a lot of myself into this post!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:56 am

KBABZ wrote:
Re-quoting my post in the hopes Kunzait will see it. I put a lot of myself into this post!
I did see it. Just not sure what else I can really add to it, other than I think I vaguely remember you mentioning and going a bit into your Autism/Aspergers in another thread here at some point, so it makes perfect sense that you might view certain aspects of the series through that particular lens.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Re-quoting my post in the hopes Kunzait will see it. I put a lot of myself into this post!
I did see it. Just not sure what else I can really add to it, other than I think I vaguely remember you mentioning and going a bit into your Autism/Aspergers in another thread here at some point, so it makes perfect sense that you might view certain aspects of the series through that particular lens.
Oh, haha.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:03 pm

I feel like the ideal way to bring Gokuh's speech style into English would be to go for "lazy" rather than "country". Chichi and the Ox Demon-King have the country accent more so, rite? I don't think Gokuh would drop as many G's as Chichi would.

Gokuh would probably say stuff like (sorry for the weird spellings) "would you?" as wou'ja?, "couldn't have" as cou'dn'na, and similar. But those things really aren't too unique... So give him one final touching: pronouncing "anything" as [AAH-nih-THIN] like Australian actress Portia de Rossi does.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Maybe they just chose not to bother with it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.