Favorite Non-FUNi English Voices?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Non-FUNi English Voices?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:21 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Posted here back in January, but Brain Drummond and Scott McNeil, are both my favorite (English) voices for Vegeta and Piccolo. I don't hate Sabat in either of those roles, but I think both Drummond and McNeil just nailed the characters.
You called him Brain! :lol:
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:24 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Posted here back in January, but Brain Drummond and Scott McNeil, are both my favorite (English) voices for Vegeta and Piccolo. I don't hate Sabat in either of those roles, but I think both Drummond and McNeil just nailed the characters.
You called him Brain! :lol:
Acting like Brain isn't a better name then Brian.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 am

Ripper 30 wrote:Brian Drummond - despite not having the Japanese audio he still managed to give vegeta a sinister Evil Voice and unlike Sabat he never sounded forced and also, he can scream and can show Vegata's Rage too specially that famous "MY WRATH" line he did so I hope Ocean dub dub Kai because I think Drummond voice is closer to Horikawa than Sabat so it will be intresting to see how his voice will be like if he tries to Imitate Ryō.

Laara Sadiq - I think her Chichi voice was good, it had that caring mother feel and still was able to sound nice when Chi chi was In Angry and atleast her Chi Chi doesn't Sounded like The "Raging Housewife" that Cynthia Cranz made chichi and it's not like she can't make her sound sweet because Cranz's Boten from Yu Yu Hakusho was good but she cannot really use that voice for Chi chi and now in Kai TFC she sounded even worse.
I agree with that. The Westwood dub may have been lackluster, but I'll gladly take Drummond's performance in that dub over Sabat. Sabat's overly throaty voice just made him unable to emote properly.

I think Cranz does a good job playing Botan, but I don't understand the need for a British accent.

Sadiq is good, but I prefer Lisa Ann Beley in the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:25 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:Brian Drummond - despite not having the Japanese audio he still managed to give vegeta a sinister Evil Voice and unlike Sabat he never sounded forced and also, he can scream and can show Vegata's Rage too specially that famous "MY WRATH" line he did so I hope Ocean dub dub Kai because I think Drummond voice is closer to Horikawa than Sabat so it will be intresting to see how his voice will be like if he tries to Imitate Ryō.

Laara Sadiq - I think her Chichi voice was good, it had that caring mother feel and still was able to sound nice when Chi chi was In Angry and atleast her Chi Chi doesn't Sounded like The "Raging Housewife" that Cynthia Cranz made chichi and it's not like she can't make her sound sweet because Cranz's Boten from Yu Yu Hakusho was good but she cannot really use that voice for Chi chi and now in Kai TFC she sounded even worse.
I agree with that. The Westwood dub may have been lackluster, but I'll gladly take Drummond's performance in that dub over Sabat. Sabat's overly throaty voice just made him unable to emote properly.

I think Cranz does a good job playing Botan, but I don't understand the need for a British accent.

Sadiq is good, but I prefer Lisa Ann Beley in the role.
Maybe if Ocean dub had proper script and Direction then who knows we could have gotten a great dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 am

Ripper 30 wrote:Maybe if Ocean dub had proper script and Direction then who knows we could have gotten a great dub.
Given that the dubs of the first three movies had a proper script and direction, we could have gotten a great dub for the show. I feel that people tend to underestimate the Ocean Group's talents, which is something that annoys me.
Ripper 30 wrote:Peter Kelamis - I think he is the best Goku voice in terms of actual voice I mean as Kelamis had that High Pitched voice which sounds similar to Japanese counterpart and it doesn't make goku sound Smart and his voice acting in World's Strongest Dub was great and his correct pronunciation of "KAIO KEN" was great too. Also,he tried to use Slang language in Movie 1 dub to show his Hick tone so I think he is one of my Favorite Non-FUNi Dub voices, too bad he doesn't voice goku anymore.
I think Richard Ian Cox will do a much better job than Kelamis did in the Ocean Kai dub IMO.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:Maybe if Ocean dub had proper script and Direction then who knows we could have gotten a great dub.
Given that the dubs of the first three movies had a proper script and direction, we could have gotten a great dub for the show. I feel that people tend to underestimate the Ocean Group's talents, which is something that annoys me.
Ripper 30 wrote:Peter Kelamis - I think he is the best Goku voice in terms of actual voice I mean as Kelamis had that High Pitched voice which sounds similar to Japanese counterpart and it doesn't make goku sound Smart and his voice acting in World's Strongest Dub was great and his correct pronunciation of "KAIO KEN" was great too. Also,he tried to use Slang language in Movie 1 dub to show his Hick tone so I think he is one of my Favorite Non-FUNi Dub voices, too bad he doesn't voice goku anymore.
I think Richard Ian Cox will do a much better job than Kelamis did in the Ocean Kai dub IMO.
I just hope they release Kai Dub someday.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Think we all do. By all accounts a lot of thought was put into making that dub a good one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Non-Funi voices I like:
-I think the guy that played Mr. Satan in Ocean was better than his Funi counterpart, because he actually sounded like a cheap, knockoff superhero, which is exactly what Mr. Satan is.

-Peter Kelamis - I think he's the best English Goku

-Brian Drummond's Vegeta

-Scott McNeil's Piccolo (but only because I grew up with this. It's nowhere near the JP Piccolo)

-Kuririn's Ocean VA does a really good job and is more in tune with who Kuririn is. Also, Sonny Strait sounds like he has a clothespin on his nose all the time.

-Ocean's Mr. (fat) Boo, IMO, is much better than the Funi voice, because he actually sounds like a grumpy toddler, instead of some Hello Kitty doll.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:03 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Me too. I just want to hear Brian Drummond as Vegeta, Scott McNeil as Piccolo and Saffron Henderson as Gohan again.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:31 am

SylentEcho wrote:Non-Funi voices I like:
-I think the guy that played Mr. Satan in Ocean was better than his Funi counterpart, because he actually sounded like a cheap, knockoff superhero, which is exactly what Mr. Satan is.

-Peter Kelamis - I think he's the best English Goku

-Brian Drummond's Vegeta

-Scott McNeil's Piccolo (but only because I grew up with this. It's nowhere near the JP Piccolo)

-Kuririn's Ocean VA does a really good job and is more in tune with who Kuririn is. Also, Sonny Strait sounds like he has a clothespin on his nose all the time.

-Ocean's Mr. (fat) Boo, IMO, is much better than the Funi voice, because he actually sounds like a grumpy toddler, instead of some Hello Kitty doll.
But doesn't FUNimation's Mr.Satan sound Iike his Japanese Counterpart?

I agree Sonny's Kuririn at times sounds weird and at times like Popeye too.

I actually think Blue Waters Dub Boo was bearable of all English Dub voices but atleast Scott McNeil puts some effort in his Fat Boo unlike FUNi's Boo which sounds like a male doing a high pitched voice.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

While I'm not the biggest fan of Strait's Krillin, he doesn't sound like Popeye anymore.
Ripper 30 wrote:I actually think Blue Waters Dub Boo was bearable of all English Dub voices but atleast Scott McNeil puts some effort in his Fat Boo unlike FUNi's Boo which sounds like a male doing a high pitched voice.
You find Blue Water Buu bearable? Honestly, none of the English Buus do it for me.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:While I'm not the biggest fan of Strait's Krillin, he doesn't sound like Popeye anymore.
Ripper 30 wrote:I actually think Blue Waters Dub Boo was bearable of all English Dub voices but atleast Scott McNeil puts some effort in his Fat Boo unlike FUNi's Boo which sounds like a male doing a high pitched voice.
You find Blue Water Buu bearable? Honestly, none of the English Buus do it for me.
If they went in with a voice like Latino or Brazillian Dub Kuririn then it could have been better.

Okay, I don't find it good but when compared to high Pitched Squeak of FUNi's Kuririn atleast it's more Bearable and also his Speech tone is not fucked up like FUNi Boo.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am

Another vote for Laara Saadiq's Chichi being pretty good. I always liked it.

I'm not sure how faithful it is to the original though. Her voice has this "upper crust" quality to it which fits a bit with her tiger mom personality, but doesn't she speak with the same "hick" accent that Goku has in the original version?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While I'm not the biggest fan of Strait's Krillin, he doesn't sound like Popeye anymore.
If they went in with a voice like Latino or Brazillian Dub Kuririn then it could have been better.

Okay, I don't find it good but when compared to high Pitched Squeak of FUNi's Kuririn atleast it's more Bearable and also his Speech tone is not fucked up like FUNi Boo.
All right.

Here's a voice that would have been absolutely perfect for King Cold or Cell for the Ocean dub:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... /Megatron/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 pm

For Bang Zoom Super voices

Michele Ruff's Chi Chi, I'm a fan of her in general and love her voice.

Wendee Lee's Bulma, sexier than Rial but still sounds smart

Brian Beacock's Krillin, from what little I've heard

Jamison Price Mr Satan, I like Chis Rager better but he's still very good.

Michael McConnohie's Kaio, much better than Schemmel but not as good as Big Green Kaio.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Another vote for Laara Saadiq's Chichi being pretty good. I always liked it.

I'm not sure how faithful it is to the original though. Her voice has this "upper crust" quality to it which fits a bit with her tiger mom personality, but doesn't she speak with the same "hick" accent that Goku has in the original version?
Yes she also speaks with a Hick Tone unlike other females in the Show like Blooma, #18 and Videl who speak normal Japanese.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

All right.

Here's a voice that would have been absolutely perfect for King Cold or Cell for the Ocean dub:
Do you have some other link ?
it seems that this link is not opening in my Phone.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:24 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:Another vote for Laara Saadiq's Chichi being pretty good. I always liked it.

Yes she also speaks with a Hick Tone unlike other females in the Show like Blooma, #18 and Videl who speak normal Japanese.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

All right.

If you can't open the link, here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVE5j4I0L8

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:15 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

8000 Saiyan wrote: All right.

If you can't open the link, here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVE5j4I0L8
Yes it could have fitted either of them.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 am

SylentEcho wrote:Non-Funi voices I like:
I think Brown's Satan is too light. I'd prefer a gruffer voice like the Japanese version.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm

True, but he sounds like a goofy cowboy a lot of the time with that overly southern accent.