Is there anyone that stopped or decide not to watch Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: Is there anyone that stopped or decide not to watch Super?

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:41 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Because they kissed the anime
Pretty sure they never did. I know that Funimation added a kissing sound effect in one dub scene, but that's it.
Nah they really, did a lot of cartoons or shows do that, when two characters they do a brief cut away, they don't show it, but you know it happend.
Gog wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Gog wrote:
How was it a retcon? I'm honestly baffled on how that's a retcon. When was it stated that he never saw her pregnant? When was this ever stated
Because they kissed the anime and it's hard to believe a man in his forties has never kissed his wife.

You stated that Toriyama said Goku never saw Chi-Chi pregnant, you typed it above sir.
Never happened, and it's a dub sound. Also why is it hard to believe that? Perhaps Goku just doesn't know how to kiss, or you know does not give two fucks about kissing? Perhaps ChiChi doesn't do it at all, applying are sense of morality to Goku is a fool's errand as he's just such an alien character.

You stated "and that doesn't mean he never saw her pregnant", he probably did.
It actually did happen, Goku not knowing how to kiss is honestly one of the most pathetic and dumbest thing to come out of Dragon Ball. Kissing is a form of intmacy, for a married man not to do that even once with his wife is rather sad, and using the excuse because he is an alien, is quite frankly dumb as well.

No I didn't you typed it, I even quoted it for you. Own up to your mistake.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:44 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Because they kissed the anime
Pretty sure they never did. I know that Funimation added a kissing sound effect in one dub scene, but that's it.
Nah they really did, a lot of cartoons or shows do that, when two characters they do a brief cut away, they don't show it, but you know it happened.
No, that's not a thing that happens. Not in the way that you're expecting us to believe, anyway.
SaiyanGod117 wrote:It actually did happen, Goku not knowing how to kiss is honestly one of the most pathetic and dumbest thing to come out of Dragon Ball.
The fact that some obsessive nutjobs still care enough to (unsuccessfully) nitpick a joke is honestly the most pathetic and dumbest thing to come out of natural selection.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:51 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Pretty sure they never did. I know that Funimation added a kissing sound effect in one dub scene, but that's it.
Nah they really did, a lot of cartoons or shows do that, when two characters they do a brief cut away, they don't show it, but you know it happened.
No, that's not a thing that happens. Not in the way that you're expecting us to believe, anyway.
Then why did the camera cutaway?
What else could they have done?
Hug? That couldn't be it they did that when he first woke up.
I've seen a lot of shows cutaway the camera for a incoming kiss.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:55 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Would you mind providing examples so I can easily tear them apart?
That's a hilarious statement. Uh hem, Cell managing to return back to earth, in his perfect form, while he had lost 17, him managing to get it back is something never once stated or implied, Cell managing to instantly learn the instant transmission, even though Goku already used it. There's so many of them, that there's an actual fucking thread about it, with ten pages of it. viewtopic.php?t=33502

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Goku passed the torch to Gohan then tried it with Goten and Trunks. It failed but it still happened.

Well no shit it's an opinion... an opinion I can back up with the facts.
Except it never happened, ever, even when it happened it failed. So why bother? None of the current cast members don't want to be fighters.

Are you talking about Goku? Cause' I got this signature because of that, and besides that the characters are just basically were we left off.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: The rushed production mostly just justifies the quality (or lack thereof) of the animation not highlight it.
And even with that I'd say that the animation quality is on par with Z, and even manages to surpass it at some times.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: So... Chi-Chi mourning the loss of her husband during the Cell Games, overjoyingly welcoming him back home even after leaving for years on end, Goku actually making an effort to keep her happy and safe (shown after his recovery from the heart virus and after his 24 hours on Earth ran out), and actually making compromises (the 3 year training and after his recovery from the heart virus) never happened even though I can find them even in the manga?

I want to ignore the shitty gags but Toei seems obsessed with them and those moments you mentioned are too far-and-few in between to let me overlook them.
Your right about four times in the entire manga, while in super we have gotten ChiChi concerned about Goku, during the hit mini arc. Goku losing his shit over there deaths, and Chi Chi rushing towards him during the defeat of Frost. All within 70 episodes. Compared to Z's 500 hundred episodes, and the manga's whole entire series. There relationship is just the same as it has always been, except Toriyama is revealing more about it.

And you have a problem with the gag's I remember the time Goku slapped ChiChi, and gave her some injuries, the gag's have always been there, your just noticing them now.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:57 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Nah they really did, a lot of cartoons or shows do that, when two characters they do a brief cut away, they don't show it, but you know it happened.
I was going to ask for the episode number, but fuck that. Who cares?! It was a joke!

Even if I was wrong, the manga (y'know, that thing that contains the original, core narrative) didn't have the same version of that scene. You're in a losing battle either way.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:05 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: No, that's not a thing that happens. Not in the way that you're expecting us to believe, anyway.
I was going to ask for the episode number, but fuck that. Who cares?! It was a joke!

Even if I was wrong, the manga (y'know, that thing that contains the original, core narrative) didn't have the same version of that scene. You're in a losing battle either way.
Well you were wrong, no need to look for the episode number, when you can just search it up on YT. The scene not being in the manga is irrelevant, Gregory ( albeit a Toriyama creation) was in the anime now he's canon along with the fact of there being no offical canon of DB. It being a joke is irrelevant as well, since the joke was meant to been taken seriously. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:07 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Then why did the camera cutaway?

Well you were wrong, no need to look for the episode number, when you can just search it up on YT. The scene not being in the manga is irrelevant, Gregory ( albeit a Toriyama creation) was in the anime now he's canon along with the fact of there being no offical canon of DB. It being a joke is irrelevant as well, since the joke was meant to been taken seriously. I guess we can just agree to disagree.
Goku never once kissed ChiChi. That was a dub-ism, never happened

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:07 am

This universal tournament arc is going to be my real test. Tournaments and VegeBul are boring to me. The idea of losing universes before we even get to explore them irritates me. I feel cheated that we still haven't seen Planet Salad. I'm disappointed they still haven't bothered to physically age Trunks and Goten. None of the new character designs interest me. I'm honestly hanging on to hope at this point. All the previous arcs at the start had something for me. This time I feel left out and I'm mildly upset at myself over it.

I feel like everyone else is excited about this arc and I'm sitting here hoping this isn't the last arc altogether.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 am

Gog wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I was going to ask for the episode number, but fuck that. Who cares?! It was a joke!

Ok agree to disagree.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:10 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Gog wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Well you were wrong, no need to look for the episode number, when you can just search it up on YT. The scene not being in the manga is irrelevant, Gregory ( albeit a Toriyama creation) was in the anime now he's canon along with the fact of there being no offical canon of DB. It being a joke is irrelevant as well, since the joke was meant to been taken seriously. I guess we can just agree to disagree.
Ok agree to disagree.
It is okay to disagree, but it never once happened in the series.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:25 am

The only people that kissed on screen in this series was Gohan and Cocoa, you know a married man and a hussy :problem: ...
And in the orignal japanese dub there's a sound of kissing in that gochi scene, you just have to watch and pay atention.

And to answer the thread: Yes, I decided today to stop watching the super anime. I'll just read the super manga from now on.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:39 am

mabalia wrote:And to answer the thread: Yes, I decided today to stop watching the super anime. I'll just read the super manga from now on.
I understand preferring the manga over the anime,but why would you completely stop watching the latter? What made you make that decision?
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Gog wrote:That's a hilarious statement. Uh hem, Cell managing to return back to earth, in his perfect form, while he had lost 17, him managing to get it back is something never once stated or implied, Cell managing to instantly learn the instant transmission, even though Goku already used it. There's so many of them, that there's an actual fucking thread about it, with ten pages of it. viewtopic.php?t=33502
Cell said that his cells remembered his perfect form and just because Goku used it doesn't necessarily mean Cell should know. The only time he got to witness the technique when he was going kamikaze.

Also, most of the "holes" in that thread can easily be proven and not that many were pointed out either (the thread is filled with repeats and endless debating).
Except it never happened, ever, even when it happened it failed. So why bother? None of the current cast members don't want to be fighters.

Are you talking about Goku? Cause' I got this signature because of that, and besides that the characters are just basically were we left off.
You're not making any sense...
And even with that I'd say that the animation quality is on par with Z, and even manages to surpass it at some times.
Yeah, but this proves nothing to me. Even some of the worst-looking episodes of DBZ beat Super's average output.

Z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niw43mkSC5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMMj8NvUmoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-h-ulBvP78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOmu0hoJ2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAnLjgWzRYA

Super:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUu8AXlkTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikLdSnxVqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RVJaswVq3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6M43X01EY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45RJ8Dzj3fA

Not to mention Super is reported to only use 2000-2500 frames per episode while DBZ used 3500 frames per episode. When today's episode showcases the general problem with Super's animation (whatnot with the stiff movement, lack of storyboarding, and constantly off-model).
Your right about four times in the entire manga, while in super we have gotten ChiChi concerned about Goku, during the hit mini arc. Goku losing his shit over there deaths, and Chi Chi rushing towards him during the defeat of Frost. All within 70 episodes. Compared to Z's 500 hundred episodes, and the manga's whole entire series. There relationship is just the same as it has always been, except Toriyama is revealing more about it.

And you have a problem with the gag's I remember the time Goku slapped ChiChi, and gave her some injuries, the gag's have always been there, your just noticing them now.
1. There's a lot more than four examples and Z only had 291 episodes. Besides, if we count filler there's way more examples to point at while Super only has like 5 examples at most.

2. Can you name an example where Chi-Chi wanted to make Goku her slave and Goku is a retard with absolutely no concept of relationships (despite being married for 20 years and having two kids) in the original series? Super hasn't expanded on shit... they basically just threw Goku x Chi-Chi to the curb while shamelessly pushing Bulma x Vegeta and that shit pairing Trunks x Mai.

3. Yes because one "gag" (which admittedly I was never terribly fond of to begin with) justifies like a dozen or so shitty "gags".

As for pregnancy thing... Goku never seeing Chi-Chi pregnant only serves to prove to his haters right that he is indeed a bad father and husband like they've been saying all this time I call bullshit to Super improving their relationship.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:21 pm

DBZAOTA482, that's something else that turns me off about Super based on what I've seen, it's just unappealing to look at. The show looks too clean and shiny compared to the original because it's being done with computers (though this is a criticism I have of modern anime in general), it feels sterile; but at the same time it has off model moments like those that make it look ugly, like shining up a turd.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:10 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
mabalia wrote:And to answer the thread: Yes, I decided today to stop watching the super anime. I'll just read the super manga from now on.
I understand preferring the manga over the anime,but why would you completely stop watching the latter? What made you make that decision?
Because the Goku I read from Toyotaro is closer to the original, his characterization is better (in my opinion).

And my patience was tested enough in the past arcs with the way the anime portrayed Goku. And my limit was that they make Goku, who's a grandfather, don't have the common sense that a pregnancy for a woman at Bulma's age is dangerous. I didn't like how he insisted for Vegeta to come along despite knowing the situation and he even dared to justify this saying he was dead when Goten was born. Last time I checked he didn't know Chichi was pregnant when he decided to stay dead. (I copied from myself a bit about what I answered in another thread)

And yeah, if Toyotaro does the same thing with Goku, I'm done with the manga too.
People can say whathever they want to say about Goku, but he could feel empathy in the past and he sure was smarter then what fans remember.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:02 pm

mabalia wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:
Because the Goku I read from Toyotaro is closer to the original, his characterization is better (in my opinion).

And my patience was tested enough in the past arcs with the way the anime portrayed Goku. And my limit was that they make Goku, who's a grandfather, don't have the common sense that a pregnancy for a woman at Bulma's age is dangerous. I didn't like how he insisted for Vegeta to come along despite knowing the situation and he even dared to justify this saying he was dead when Goten was born. Last time I checked he didn't know Chichi was pregnant when he decided to stay dead. (I copied from myself a bit about what I answered in another thread)

And yeah, if Toyotaro does the same thing with Goku, I'm done with the manga too.
People can say whathever they want to say about Goku, but he could feel empathy in the past and he sure was smarter then what fans remember.
I agree with you that manga Goku is much more mature than his anime version but I would advise you to give the anime a second chance.This new arc may give us a Goku that you will eventually grow to like.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:41 am

I started watching from the beginning, dropped it around episode 5, have been off and on ever since. I did watch all of Universe 6 and Future Trunks in the background while doing work however and watch the one off Slice of Life episodes weekly. With the new arc I am most likely gonna marathon all current 76 episodes to catch up.

Super at this point is the anime equivilant of a long running comic book. With it now having it's 5th series director, Toriyama and Toei being the executive meddlers and the quality/series direction changing constantly. Any comic book fan will tell you comics depending on their writer can have all over the place narratives and often you judge a comic based on it's individual arcs. Super has become that.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 am

Gog wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I was going to ask for the episode number, but fuck that. Who cares?! It was a joke!

Yes, it's a anime only scene IIRC, but it's not like it doesn't exist. I don't even really care about this, I stopped watching Super in 2015, and occasional check out the Black arc, but the "joke" was nonsense.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:51 am

Super has been almost consistently great since the start of the Zamasu arc. There are obviously some nitpicks and animation mishaps here and there, but for the most part its turned into a worthy successor to DBZ.

If you told me a few years ago I would be excited to watch a new Dragonball series in the year 2015-2017...I would have laughed.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 am

Majin Buu wrote:I have not watched it. Like a previous poster I was also kind of annoyed when it was announced and even more so when Toei declared that it would be at least 100 episodes because as someone in my late 20s with a full time job I no longer have the time or energy to devote to another 100+ episode long runner. I'm generally not the type of person that needs more of a series if I was satisfied with how it turned out. I was satisfied with how the original series turned out and because of that I personally wish Dragon Ball was allowed to just exist as a completed work without these continuous attempts to make it the new hotness; but I know that will never happen because Dragon Ball is the big money maker, and that gravy train needs to keep rolling.

Another reason I was annoyed by Super's announcement is because I knew there would eventually be new developments and retcons that would start to ruin stuff from the original series for me (which I still hold dear) since that had already been happening since Battle of Gods came out; and lo and behold, the Future Trunks arc did just that by overriding Future Trunks' happy ending from the Cell arc. That being said, there are some interesting concepts in that arc that have me intrigued enough to check it out (though I had to spoil myself on the story to get interested enough in the first place), so messing up Future Trunks' life more may end up feeling justified to me depending on if I enjoy the arc or not.

Also, the music is a huge turn off for me. The few pieces of Sumitomo's score I've listened to just don't feel like Dragon Ball to me, it feels "off".
TOEI never announced Super would be 100 episodes. Geekdom101 has explained it ad nauseam on his channel, as you will see from the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsF3IJ4pr0

Super will only continue or get cancelled depending on how successful it is.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: