Suppose that the original Dragon Ball gets a new dub...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Suppose that the original Dragon Ball gets a new dub...

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Is there a list somewhere of all the insert songs that were cut from the DB dub?
It would be a lot easier to list the ones that were kept in.

-With a Blazing Heart: Defeat the Red Ribbon Army

That's it.
I see.
I ask as I've been considering trying to re-insert the missing insert songs as a pet project for my own personal amusement.

Maybe there's a list somewhere of just all the insert songs in Dragon Ball?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:I can't for the life of me understand the hatred Clinkenbeard gets for her Goku or the love Nadolny gets for Goku. Between Gohan and Goku, Nadolny is more bearable as the former.
I'm the exact opposite. I can deal eith Nadolny's Goku but her Gohan is soooo bad. Especially when Gohan is suppose to be a pre-schooler.

And she was cast as Gohan/Henderson imitator first
Her Gohan is at least somewhat natural sounding. Her Goku sounds like Woody Woodpecker. There inflections and cadence is off putting. It's completely put on.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Is there a list somewhere of all the insert songs that were cut from the DB dub?
It would be a lot easier to list the ones that were kept in.

-With a Blazing Heart: Defeat the Red Ribbon Army

That's it.
I see.
I ask as I've been considering trying to re-insert the missing insert songs as a pet project for my own personal amusement.

Maybe there's a list somewhere of just all the insert songs in Dragon Ball?
Actually, not quite, a few more were than that were kept, which all happened to be in Season 3.

-The aforementioned Burning Heart in Episode 65
-Dragon Ball Legend in Episode 76
-Blue Travelers in Episode 78
-Mezase Tenkaichi was kept in Episode 86

-Mezase Tebkaichi was removed from Episodes 28 and 95
-Dragon Ball Legend was removed from Episodes 30, 33, and 35.
-Wonderland was removed from Episode 29
-Goku's song was removed from Episode 43
-Red Ribbon Army was removed from Episode 48
-Wolf Hurricane was removed from Episode 87

I think it'd be pretty interesting to see the scenes with the music re-inserted!
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am

Unfortunately Funimation replaced some of the insert songs with added chatter, some of which is almost impossible to remove without removing something that's supposed to be there. For example, since the Tenkaichi Tournament announcer now talks over stuff like grunts during Goku vs Jackie Chun, a fan edit would have to choose between keeping the readded Mezase Tenkaichi instrumental to avoid a DBZ Real Bands situation or be forced to cut out some of Goku and Roshi's grunts along with the announcer's added chatter.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 am

Danfun64 wrote:Unfortunately Funimation replaced some of the insert songs with added chatter, some of which is almost impossible to remove without removing something that's supposed to be there. For example, since the Tenkaichi Tournament announcer now talks over stuff like grunts during Goku vs Jackie Chun, a fan edit would have to choose between keeping the readded Mezase Tenkaichi instrumental to avoid a DBZ Real Bands situation or be forced to cut out some of Goku and Roshi's grunts along with the announcer's added chatter.
Adding extra grunts from other places and scenes might be able to cover this up.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't really see how that would be an issue. There are plenty of scenes in the series that had dialog added. It wouldn't be any more jarring than the dialog in the song sequences that actually were kept, most notably Episode 65.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Asura wrote:I agree with casting Kara Edwards as Kid Goku. Nadolny gets on my nerves and I can't stand listening to her anymore. I personally love Clinkenbeard as Gohan, but from what I've heard of her Kid Goku voice (as Goku GT in the Xenoverse series of games) she's horrendous.

I think Kara Edwards is a really good voice actress and I believe she could pull off something similar sounding to Goten, but not quite Goten, as a Kid Goku voice.
I'm only picturing something that isn't as high-pitched as Colleen's Gohan which I didn't like at all, but also something that isnt as throaty and nasally as Stephanie´s kid Gohan. Though I honestly think DB's dub was worse than Z's original dub acting wise, her GT kid Goku was better (as it wasn't as throaty as her Gohan and Kid Goku were). However I think Kara Edwards would be the best because she knows how to sound like an innocent boy type character, with a pitch in between Stephanie and Colleen.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:42 am

Robo4900 wrote:Maybe there's a list somewhere of just all the insert songs in Dragon Ball?
There is, right on this website!
Valerius Dover wrote:Actually, not quite, a few more were than that were kept, which all happened to be in Season 3.

-The aforementioned Burning Heart in Episode 65
-Dragon Ball Legend in Episode 76
-Blue Travelers in Episode 78
-Mezase Tenkaichi was kept in Episode 86
I honestly don't remember hearing those in the dub, but you seem to know your stuff, so I'll take your word for it. Interesting that they were all in the same "Season", but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327