What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Imagine Christian Bale as Piccolo using his Batman voice. It'd be hilarious.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm not sure Bale's young enough to pull off the younger Piccolo from the 23rd Budokai.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'm not sure Bale's young enough to pull off the younger Piccolo from the 23rd Budokai.
It was just a joke.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:14 pm

When he was more in his prime, I would've liked Michael Jai White as Piccolo. He starred in "Black Dynamite" and has been in quite a few action films, and not action films. Many might most remember him from "The Dark Knight" as the gangster Joker takes out with the "Why So Serious?" bit, as well as his starring role here. He said he would've reprised for a sequel back then.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Super Sonic wrote:When he was more in his prime, I would've liked Michael Jai White as Piccolo. He starred in "Black Dynamite" and has been in quite a few action films, and not action films. Many might most remember him from "The Dark Knight" as the gangster Joker takes out with the "Why So Serious?" bit, as well as his starring role here. He said he would've reprised for a sequel back then.
I remember Spawn. That CGI devil looked so fake. The only good thing about the devil is that it was voiced by Frank Welker. Welker could easily voice any of the Dragons.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:30 pm

I think casting the post-reincarnation Piccolo is difficult, because you have to have someone who can be the fiendish devil you see in the 23rd Budokai, but also the wise mentor you see from the Androids onwards. And on top of this, they have to be pretty young for their debut in the 23rd Budokai.

David Tennant might be able to do it, but you'd probably end up having to pick an unknown actor like DC did for Gal Gadot, or Marvel did for Tom Holland.
Actually, David Tennant could be pretty amazing as Piccolo Junior... My only concern is he might not be imposing enough physically, but I dunno...

Anyway, here's a potentially fun one: A young Tom Cruise as Yamcha.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:When he was more in his prime, I would've liked Michael Jai White as Piccolo. He starred in "Black Dynamite" and has been in quite a few action films, and not action films. Many might most remember him from "The Dark Knight" as the gangster Joker takes out with the "Why So Serious?" bit, as well as his starring role here. He said he would've reprised for a sequel back then.
I remember Spawn. That CGI devil looked so fake.
Well it was 1997. He did have an awesome evil voice though.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I remember Spawn. That CGI devil looked so fake.
Well it was 1997. He did have an awesome evil voice though.
Jurassic Park came out four years before Spawn and the dinosaurs didn't look fake. However, the makeup for Spawn's face looked pretty good.

Yeah, Frank Welker's Dr. Claw's voice is awesome even if the voice directors tell him to reuse it a lot.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:58 pm

So, here's what I'm thinking for all the Dragon Ball villains:
Commander Red: J.K. Simmons
Piccolo Daimao: Clancy Brown
Piccolo Jr.: Adam Driver, Daniel Radcliffe, or Tom Felton (I'm still mulling this over, though. I think just some unknown younger guy who came outta no-where would be best here though, TBH)
Raditz: Christopher Eccleston
Nappa: Tom Hardy
Vegeta: James McAvoy
Freeza: David Tennant
Cell: Ralph Fiennes
Super Boo: Benedict Cumberbatch (Perhaps put him in a fatsuit for fat Boo. Kid Boo doesn't really have much character to him, he's just a force of pure chaos, so I guess just get a short stuntman to do that)

A few of these are a little rough, but I think one of the hardest to figure out might be Freeza.
My first instinct is Benedict Cumberbatch, since he's suave, potentially very scary, and can almost certainly pull off the feigned politeness, but I feel like he'd work better as Cell or Super Boo if anything, since he has the much more deep, imposing voice, and that odd look about him that fits the alien creature of Cell, or the mystical blob of Boo. For Freeza, you don't want an imposing voice, you want him to be like the Joker; he has to have a sense of fun, that he's absolutely revelling in every evil act he's comitting, and even when he gets serious, he'll still feign politeness for a laugh because in his mind, there's no way he'll lose.
And that's why I think David Tennant would work. He could pull off all that stuff Freeza has, and unlike Cell or Boo, he doesn't have to be all that imposing physically, and in fact a core part of why his character is so horrifying is that he's feigning a humble, polite gentleman, which really contrasts against his sadistic nature.
Another that might work is Ralph Fiennes, but I think his portrayal there might end up very close to Voldemort, and I dunno if that'd be such a good idea. It could end up as a great performance, but I feel like it'd be a lot like if sir Ian McKellen had been cast as the second Dumbledore.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 pm

J. Jonah Jameson as Commander Red? That's pretty cool.
"Bring me pictures of Son Goku!"

Hardy as Nappa just makes me think of Nappa with his Bane voice.