What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think they'd go with motion capture for Piccolo instead of make-up. With computers, you can do so much more.
I don't see the point. Piccolo is basically just a guy who's green, tall, and has antennae on his head. Motion-capping that would be like motion-capping Nebula from Guardians Of The Galaxy.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm thinking Christain Bale might make a good Vegeta,he has the right temper for the role. That aside I think that to avoid too much controversy like other anime based films have had, there should be a rule that the majority cast should be Asian based, with only characters that aren't human being non Asian. So with my above suggestion of Bale as Vegeta, Saiyans can be depicted as Caucasian for consistency, and Namekians can be whatever race you want since the actors will be covered in green anyways. The only other casting choice that comes to mind is Jackie Chan playing Master Roshi.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:23 pm

I'd actually bring James Marsters back for Piccolo. He was the best part of the film IMO, and he deserves a script that would let him do Piccolo justice. I think that Jackie Chan would make a good Roshi these days, and I wouldn't feel right not including him in a DB movie since Toriyama likes him so much. He could really have been a great Goku in his younger years. Those who are saying Ludi Lin would make a good Goku are onto something, I think. I loved him in Power Rangers (along with the rest of the cast in that movie), so I would be super excited if he got cast as Goku in a theoretical DB movie. Honestly, though, while I think DB could work in movie form, I'd prefer feature-length animated movies (either 2D or CGI) that retell the original story in a more condensed format. Basically, I would want a remake of Path to Power (maybe somewhat combine it with DB Movie 1, except Pansy is Chichi, it's Fire Mountain being terrorized, and instead of Gurumes' henchmen it's the Red Ribbon guys) and a whole series of movies to follow, telling the stories in a similar fashion.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I'd have Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or anyone who can use special affects really well direct it.

I don't think they need a writer cause the script is already there, all the director will have to do is turn the manga into live action.

I'd have the Aliens and Cell be CGI like the Jungle book and they'd be voiced by Funimation's cast.

The Androids and Humans can be acted by people but I don't think they need any huge name actors/actresses for the roles.
That sounds like a bad idea. You need to balance things to adapt something on the big screen. Just copying and pasting the manga won't work at all. Also Zack Snyder and Bay are terrible choices for a live action movie. They really suck at story telling.
When Snyder and Bay make good movies, they make really good movies. Of the two, Snyder would probably give you the best manga to live action transfer than any other film maker in Hollywood. Bay would make a movie loved by millions that make billions of dollars. And in all honesty would be a great director to have, as he would get almost all of Toriyama's humor.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I'd never trust Snyder and Bay to make a good movie.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Most Dragon Ball character simply don't peg me as Asian, at all, with afew exceptions like maybe Tenshinhan.

The series martial arts fighting is so over the top, you'd only need the actors be in good shape and be able to do convincing stances etc. CGI and make-up can buff them up when needed and handle most of the fighting.

It really is a dream of mine for a proper live action series of Dragon Ball to be made.

One question though, how the hell would you handle fusions in live action? Just make it a new actor and have whoever is playing Goku and Vegeta dub over his voice? :wtf:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:48 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Most Dragon Ball character simply don't peg me as Asian, at all, with afew exceptions like maybe Tenshinhan.

The series martial arts fighting is so over the top, you'd only need the actors be in good shape and be able to do convincing stances etc. CGI and make-up can buff them up when needed and handle most of the fighting.

It really is a dream of mine for a proper live action series of Dragon Ball to be made.

One question though, how the hell would you handle fusions in live action? Just make it a new actor and have whoever is playing Goku and Vegeta dub over his voice? :wtf:
That would work.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Looking at Chris Ayres face, with top notch make up appliances, I'd say let the man be live action Freeza, he deserves it.

Godspeed to his recovery.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think they'd go with motion capture for Piccolo instead of make-up. With computers, you can do so much more.
I don't see the point. Piccolo is basically just a guy who's green, tall, and has antennae on his head. Motion-capping that would be like motion-capping Nebula from Guardians Of The Galaxy.
I understand what you mean, but I honestly wouldn't mind it if they went for motion capture. Both techniques could work well.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Godspeed to his recovery.
recovery? did something happen to him? hope he's ok.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
He has COPD and advanced emphysema, two grave diseases.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
He has COPD and advanced emphysema, two grave diseases.
Oh dear, I hope he gets well. Poor guy :(

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 am

MR.Mark wrote:One question though, how the hell would you handle fusions in live action? Just make it a new actor and have whoever is playing Goku and Vegeta dub over his voice? :wtf:
It's possible to morph both actors faces in CGI and then capture movements from one of them or even a new one. The voice would exactly that way
They could call Lola VFX, the same company that shrunk Chris Evans and de-aged Robert Downey Jr., Michael Douglas and recently Kurt Russell in the Marvel movies

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 pm

King Kai: William Shatner
Piccolo Daimao: Clancy Brown
Piccolo Junior: Stephen Amell
Guru: John Goodman
Freeza: Benedict Cumberbatch
Cell: William Dafoe
Master Roshi: Patrick Stewart

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:King Kai: William Shatner
Shatner as King Kai? That would be a riot. And Amell as Junior? I'm now imagining Piccolo saying: "Frieza, you have failed this planet!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Shatner as King Kai? That would be a riot.
I know, right! He'd be pretty much perfect.
8000 Saiyan wrote:And Amell as Junior? I'm now imagining Piccolo saying: "Frieza, you have failed this planet!"
"My name is Piccolo Junior. After my father died, I lived on an island for five years with one goal: Survive. Now, I have returned to civilisation to right my father's wrongs, and kill Son Goku. But to do that, I must become someone else; I must become something else; I must become Big Green Arrow."

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Freeza: Benedict Cumberbatch
No, absolutely not. Frieza's voice needs to be higher, maybe Neil Patrick Harris or Alan Tudyk.

I could see Cumberbatch as Beerus though.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Even with make up appliances, William Dafoe isn't handsome enough for Perfect Cell, and his voice wouldn't work either.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:King Kai: William Shatner
With Amell as Piccolo I can see David Ramsey as a cool Garlic Jr. That guy's biceps are crazy.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:No, absolutely not. Frieza's voice needs to be higher, maybe Neil Patrick Harris or Alan Tudyk.

I could see Cumberbatch as Beerus though.
I don't think the voice matters quite as much as the performance. And I think Cumberbatch could do a pretty amazing Freeza.
I'm not sure Neil Patrick Harris would have quite the presence required for Freeza. Maybe Alan Tudyk, but I'm not sure he'd have the look.
MR.Mark wrote:Even with make up appliances, William Dafoe isn't handsome enough for Perfect Cell, and his voice wouldn't work either.
Well, they could just have three different actors play him. I dunno about Semi-Perfect, but I'd stick with William Dafoe for Imperfect, and probably go with someone like Chris Evans, or Chris Pine for Perfect. Or if he doesn't end up fitting as Freeza, Benedict Cumberbatch could do a pretty amazing Perfect Cell.
Draconic wrote:With Amell as Piccolo I can see David Ramsey as a cool Garlic Jr. That guy's biceps are crazy.
That could be pretty cool. What about his base form, though?