Am I the only person who says "Dragon Ball Zed?"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Am I the only person who says "Dragon Ball Zed?"

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:37 pm

I know, I'm Canadian so I say Zed instead of Zee. However, most people, even in Canada, call it "Dragon Ball Zee," and I think it was even called that in the Ocean dub. Technically, "Zed" is more accurate to the original pronunciation of "Zetto". So does anybody else pronounce it like I do?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

precita
Banned

Re: Am I the only person who says "Dragon Ball Zed?"

Post by precita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Yes, yes you are.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:55 pm

It appears that every English-speaking country outside of the United States says "Zed" for the letter "Z." So, surely there must be someone else. Since "Dragon Ball Z" is the title of the series, and nobody actually uses the term in the series, I guess you can say it however you'd like. Now if pronunciation affected anything in-story, it would probably matter more. The only thing that is actually pronounced in the series is the term "Z Warrior." So don't worry, pronounce it however you'd like.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:56 pm

People say 'Zed' instead of 'Zee' here, but never in my life have I heard anyone pronounce the Z in Dragon Ball Z as anything other than 'Zee'.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm

As italian, i pronounce it "ZETA", like in "tZEH TAH". (Zeta is the letter, but is pronounced ZZZ, that's impossible).
It's fun. Try it.
DRAH GON BOWHLL tZEH TAH.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Ajay wrote:People say 'Zed' instead of 'Zee' here, but never in my life have I heard anyone pronounce the Z in Dragon Ball Z as anything other than 'Zee'.
Really? This surprises me because Britain is the birthplace of the Queen's English, which says "Zed." I guess it's because you guys got the FUNimation dub that says "Zee" and some of the Big Green dub?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:38 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I guess it's because you guys got the FUNimation dub that says "Zee" and some of the Big Green dub?
We had almost exactly what you Canadians had. Ocean, then Funi for a bit, then Westwood. Considering the Westwood opening literally went, "DRAGON, DRAGON BALL... DRAGON BALL ZEEEE", that pronunciation is deep in our skulls. Well, that and the narrator also saying 'Zee'.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Ajay wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I guess it's because you guys got the FUNimation dub that says "Zee" and some of the Big Green dub?
We had almost exactly what you Canadians had. Ocean, then Funi for a bit, then Westwood. Considering the Westwood opening literally went, "DRAGON, DRAGON BALL... DRAGON BALL ZEEEE", that pronunciation is deep in our skulls. Well, that and the narrator also saying 'Zee'.
I saw "Dragon Ball Z" written on the spine of a manga volume I saw in the library before I heard it said, so I've always assumed it's "Zed."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:18 pm

I've always said "Zed." Even though I grew up with the theme song saying "ZEEEE", my peers were very much in the camp of "That's just the way those silly 'muricans say it." So that attitude has stuck with me.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm

It's pronounced Zee, so anyone who says 'Zed' is just wrong. Regardless of your own countries pronunciation.

We say 'Mum' here, but when Bad Moms came out, it was called Bad Moms, and people said Mom.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:28 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:As italian, i pronounce it "ZETA", like in "tZEH TAH". (Zeta is the letter, but is pronounced ZZZ, that's impossible).
It's fun. Try it.
DRAH GON BOWHLL tZEH TAH.
Same with both Spanish versions. This even though in Mexico there is a powerful cartel called the Zetas. I guess that didn't bother the translators, because they used it anyway.

"Plata o plomo" doesn't work on anime dubbing companies.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 pm

LordCrumb wrote:It's pronounced Zee, so anyone who says 'Zed' is just wrong. Regardless of your own countries pronunciation.

We say 'Mum' here, but when Bad Moms came out, it was called Bad Moms, and people said Mom.
Isn't it "Zetta" in Japan ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 am

It's a separate suffix sound but you're more or less correct.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:26 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:It's pronounced Zee, so anyone who says 'Zed' is just wrong. Regardless of your own countries pronunciation.

Isn't it "Zetta" in Japan ?
I've always seen "Doragon Bōru Zetto" in the lyrics of We Gotta Power!... Including on this website (wait, theres a website too?)

Though when watching the opening it always sounded more like "Doragon Bōru ZeeiiAAAAAAAaa!!!!" to me. Zetto in other places.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:04 am

The katakana below the name say "Zetto", in Germany we pronounce it as "Dragon Ball Zed", I used to pronounce it as Zed. These days I am used to say "Zee" but I will always be aware of the katakana saying what they say.
It's pronounced Zee, so anyone who says 'Zed' is just wrong. Regardless of your own countries pronunciation.
Err, no. If anything, when it comes to contextualizing and therefore decoding the message reflecting the original intention, Zet/Zed is the most accurate one as it is exactly what stands under the regular name while "Zee" would then come next together with all the other "possible meanings that are legitimate but not as accurate as the former one and then the "legitimate but context-wise wrong ones"". That is how decoding messages in communication works if you do not want something to result in a disturbance of communication.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:24 am

Cetra wrote:
Err, no.
Says a lot about the community, that so far no one has tried to belittle that person, as he so nonchalantly does to everyone who doesn't share his opinion.
And I'm from Denmark and have always pronounced it as Zed, cause that's how we pronounce Z.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:30 am

I'm British and even I say Zee when talking about the shows title. American TV/Movies are popular in the UK so I never found American English too foreign.

Interesting that Canada uses Zed too. Makes me wonder how other countries where English is the official language such as India and Australia use Zee or Zed.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 am

Kid Buu wrote:I'm British and even I say Zee when talking about the shows title. American TV/Movies are popular in the UK so I never found American English too foreign.

Interesting that Canada uses Zed too. Makes me wonder how other countries where English is the official language such as India and Australia use Zee or Zed.
Zee is an American-only pronunciation, as far as I know. Australia definitely uses Zed, and I imagine India does to, since their English descends directly from the motherland.
Retired.

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 am

No, you aren't. We also say "Zed" here in Germany. Though i don't know why...

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 am

I use Zed as well. Especially with another franchise that had the letter before DBZ (Mazinger Z).
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?