Is there anyone that's annoyed of the DragonBall Super Japanese Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Is there anyone that's annoyed of the DragonBall Super Japanese Dub?

Post by keyz05 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 pm

As a long-time DragonBall fan, I want to ask anyone if DragonBall Super's Japanese dub bother's people in anyone's opinion. For me, personally, I don't have any grudge against the Japanese dub, in general. But I want to know, is there anyone that's sick and tired of the Super's Japanese dub?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is there anyone that's annoyed of the DragonBall Super Japanese Dub?

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Not really. Any particular reason why you might be?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Not really. Any particular reason why you might be?
Just curious, actually. I've seen another post where a lot of people are bothered that Super isn't coming regionally.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 am

Not me but something about Nozawa's Goku really irritates me when it honestly didn't watching DB Z or GT subbed. I feel like it's higher pitched then ever although the 'new' voice does fit with his flanderized character

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 am

When I started super it's was pretty annoying, now it feels natural
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:53 am

No. (Don't Kill Me) but I prefer the Japanese cast performance in the recent material like Kai and Super. Even with the Master Audio, I still prefer their current voices.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 am

I don't find the dub annoying but i do get annoyed when I hear high-pitch voiced characters on top of Super's BGM. Makes me feel like i'm watching a show made for pre-schoolers.
simtek34 wrote:No. (Don't Kill Me) but I prefer the Japanese cast performance in the recent material like Kai and Super. Even with the Master Audio, I still prefer their current voices.
What's Master Audio?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 pm

keyz05 wrote:As a long-time DragonBall fan, I want to ask anyone if DragonBall Super's Japanese dub bother's people in anyone's opinion. For me, personally, I don't have any grudge against the Japanese dub, in general. But I want to know, is there anyone that's sick and tired of the Super's Japanese dub?
I don't understand this viewpoint at all.

If you're that against watching the series in Japanese, you can do the same thing that tons of other casual fans do: just wait until it's available in whatever your native language is. No-one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to watch the series in Japanese (as much as it may feel that way if you hang around Kanzenshuu long enough).

But again, I can't understand this. As big of a fan I am of the series, it flabbergasts me that people could wait. I need to know everything right away. I need to experience it. I need to be part of that community zeitgeist. It's exciting. It's so much fun to experience it all together at once. Waiting on that? When there's no reason to? My brain can't reconcile that.

To me, this just reads as: "I don't like it in Japanese; please validate my feelings." Am I totally missing the boat here? I dunno, I feel like I've just been trained by online conversations to look for some ulterior motive. And if I'm spot-on, why do you need your opinions validated? It's cool to like whatever you want to like and dislike whatever you want to dislike. You're your own person.

What throws me off is the "I don't have any grudge against the Japanese dub". So... but... why would you make a thread saying you're sick of it? If I don't have any strong feelings about something, nothing prompts me to initiate a conversation about it.

I'm just SO confused by the entire train of thought that goes into what you posted. Please help me understand!
MarcBigleague wrote:Makes me feel like i'm watching a show made for pre-schoolers.
You are, in fact, watching a children's show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:i do get annoyed when I hear high-pitch voiced characters on top of Super's BGM.
I'm still puzzled by this generalization, which is still quite prevalent on YouTube. It makes it sound like every single character is like a South Park character. Really the only character that I would characterize as unusually high is Goku's family, and I guess Kuririn and Yajirobe, which I wouldn't constitute as a problem. But If you know the history, the characters, and what makes Nozawa's portrayal so brilliant, you not only "get used" to it, but you embrace it. I love her voice for Goku, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can imagine, if you grew up with the Toonami broadcast, going from SUPER HERO GOKU to the Japanese Goku could be quite jarring. But that's hardly the fault of the product that existed over a decade before the version of Goku you know came onto the scene. Not to mention, just because they're voiced by females doesn't automatically make them high-pitched.

In any case, other than those three, you have plenty of characters with low voices--Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Beerus, Kaio, Hit, Zamasu, etc. This characterization by the contingent Broli/Disturbed/Bruce Faulconer/whatever crowd is quite strange.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:
simtek34 wrote:No. (Don't Kill Me) but I prefer the Japanese cast performance in the recent material like Kai and Super. Even with the Master Audio, I still prefer their current voices.
What's Master Audio?
The original audio for DB and DBZ that was on the original Japanese TV Broadcasts that Toei stupidly threw away. Fans like Kei17 have persuaded to give Toei the audio for mm their VHS revordings but they say No. But Christopher R. Sabat, from FUNimation accepted the audio and is trying to get FUNi to release it. Here is an example between the Broadcast audio and the current optical audio that Toei has on the Dragon Boxes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPkEIod-mU

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanos wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:i do get annoyed when I hear high-pitch voiced characters on top of Super's BGM.
I'm still puzzled by this generalization, which is still quite prevalent on YouTube. It makes it sound like every single character is like a South Park character. Really the only character that I would characterize as unusually high is Goku's family, and I guess Kuririn and Yajirobe, which I wouldn't constitute as a problem. But If you know the history, the characters, and what makes Nozawa's portrayal so brilliant, you not only "get used" to it, but you embrace it. I love her voice for Goku, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can imagine, if you grew up with the Toonami broadcast, going from SUPER HERO GOKU to the Japanese Goku could be quite jarring. But that's hardly the fault of the product that existed over a decade before the version of Goku you know came onto the scene. Not to mention, just because they're voiced by females doesn't automatically make them high-pitched.

In any case, other than those three, you have plenty of characters with low voices--Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Beerus, Kaio, Hit, Zamasu, etc. This characterization by the contingent Broli/Disturbed/Bruce Faulconer/whatever crowd is quite strange.
Lol your reply doesn't apply to me at all. You only quoted the part where I say I find hearing the high-pitch voices in combination with Super's BGM annoying. That's me saying I don't have an issue with high-pitch voices when there's none of Super's BGM XD
simtek34 wrote:Here is an example between the Broadcast audio and the current optical audio that Toei has on the Dragon Boxes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPkEIod-mU
"You vs the audio she tells you not to worry about" HAHA I know about that meme XD

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 pm

The only thing that annoys me is I can't understand the language and have to rely on subs.

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 pm

I am annoyed. Much annoyed. That the Japanese haven't dubbed the series in English. Prob still watch subs, but at least we wouldn't have the drastic change of tone and character.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Atp23 wrote:I am annoyed. Much annoyed. That the Japanese haven't dubbed the series in English.
Obviously the Japanese won't dub it in English XD in Japan it's Japanese people who watch the show in Japanese so no English haha. Also I don't think Japanese accented English would sound professional...

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:23 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:Also I don't think Japanese accented English would sound professional...
It should exist on novelty alone.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm

MathSSJ wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:Also I don't think Japanese accented English would sound professional...
It should exist on novelty alone.
No it would just have so many memes XD It wouldn't be Dragon Ball Super anymore but in stead Dragon Ball Meme :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Not at all. The voices are the perfect fit and mould for the characters we see on the screen.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I don't understand. Are people really that against watching something in another language? I have a feeling that a lot of the sub dislikers are just people who can't let go of nostalgia.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm more annoyed by the people who call the Original Japanese Version a "dub". IT ISNT DAMMIT.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm more annoyed by the people who call the Original Japanese Version a "dub". IT ISNT DAMMIT.
I know! Seeing YouTube comments of people hating Girl Goku and the "Japanese Dub" just MAKES ME MAD!!!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017