Is there anyone that's annoyed of the DragonBall Super Japanese Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is there anyone that's annoyed of the DragonBall Super Japanese Dub?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Guess who just earned a place in my sig?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 pm

I've heard some japanese fans refer to the japanese dub as the "japanese dub"...interesting

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 pm

How? In what language? Japanese? English, how do you know?

EDIT: Also, even if they did, they must be ignorant of what constitutes a dub. For Example any cartoon made outside of Japan that is dubbed into Japanese counts. Like Ducktales, Steven Universe or even movies like The Princess and The Frog and Moana.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Guess who just earned a place in my sig?
What did? It looks the same to me?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm

You did. I will alter it right now.

Also here is the article for "Dubbing" in Japanese. I want someone to translate the title lol.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%90%B9 ... F%E3%81%88

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:How? In what language? Japanese? English, how do you know?
Why do you approach me so aggressively? o_O You did this to me on my Kenshiro Kills thread...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm sorry. I'm just REALLY passionate about this particular topic. I intended my posts on the Kenshiro thread to be lighthearted. Guess they werent. I really love Kenshiro, even if I feel he cant kill Super Saiyans. Kenshiro's compassionate side is very appealing.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
keyz05 wrote:As a long-time DragonBall fan, I want to ask anyone if DragonBall Super's Japanese dub bother's people in anyone's opinion. For me, personally, I don't have any grudge against the Japanese dub, in general. But I want to know, is there anyone that's sick and tired of the Super's Japanese dub?
I don't understand this viewpoint at all.

If you're that against watching the series in Japanese, you can do the same thing that tons of other casual fans do: just wait until it's available in whatever your native language is. No-one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to watch the series in Japanese (as much as it may feel that way if you hang around Kanzenshuu long enough).

But again, I can't understand this. As big of a fan I am of the series, it flabbergasts me that people could wait. I need to know everything right away. I need to experience it. I need to be part of that community zeitgeist. It's exciting. It's so much fun to experience it all together at once. Waiting on that? When there's no reason to? My brain can't reconcile that.

To me, this just reads as: "I don't like it in Japanese; please validate my feelings." Am I totally missing the boat here? I dunno, I feel like I've just been trained by online conversations to look for some ulterior motive. And if I'm spot-on, why do you need your opinions validated? It's cool to like whatever you want to like and dislike whatever you want to dislike. You're your own person.

What throws me off is the "I don't have any grudge against the Japanese dub". So... but... why would you make a thread saying you're sick of it? If I don't have any strong feelings about something, nothing prompts me to initiate a conversation about it.

I'm just SO confused by the entire train of thought that goes into what you posted. Please help me understand!
MarcBigleague wrote:Makes me feel like i'm watching a show made for pre-schoolers.
You are, in fact, watching a children's show.
Will do... Sorry. It takes time for my brain to process more of my vocabulary correctly because how little I sleep and other stuff that's going on in my life. Anyways, I just want to see people's opinion's on what they think about the Japanese dub of the series.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 am

Before, I prefered the Eng ver rather than the original, but now I prefer the original in a way, Sean is good with Goku, but Nozawa completely killer her Black role, no one can top what she pulled with Black.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:00 pm

I remember finding one character's voice annoying but I can't remember which.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:40 pm

It's actually grown on me a lot since I started watching Super though Grandma Goku will always be horrifically bad.

It's one of the main reasons why the dub has always been so popular, people just can't stand the voice. I've gotten used to it but yeah it's still terrible to hear.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Not me but something about Nozawa's Goku really irritates me when it honestly didn't watching DB Z or GT subbed. I feel like it's higher pitched then ever although the 'new' voice does fit with his flanderized character
It is. Or at least she's going to a higher register on average than she used to. I'm not sure if it's the script, the direction, or simply vocal comfort.

That is not to say her new performances are bad. It's just a noticeable difference.