Why Kibito Kai unfusing was best for Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Why Kibito Kai unfusing was best for Super

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 pm

I don't know if many people think about this, but I'm sure on Kanzenshuu's forums - What I'm about to say is common knowledge to fans. But still, I'm going to bring it up anyway. As we all know, Supreme Kai and Kibito are no longer fused together as Kibito Kai. Honestly, I enjoyed Kibito Kai in GT even if his role could easily be seen as the annoying bumbling sidekick to Old Kai. Still, as far as Super's storyline goes - I like that he is unfused.

I'm going to call Supreme Kai "Shin" even though I'm pretty sure this isn't his official name (only the name he used for the tournament even though DB Wiki now states this is his name, which I don't mind because it makes it easier to name him). Shin is a Supreme Kai and Beerus is a Destroyer God (I also like how Funimation calls Beerus a Destroyer God because it fits alongside a title like Supreme Kai more in terms of word numbering - but that's another story). Both characters have attendants in the characters of Kibito and Whis. Having Supreme Kai unfused makes the whole "If one of us dies, the other dies" parallel stronger because we know that both Shin and Beerus have their own attendants instead of Kibito Kai being one entity while Beerus still has his attendant, Whis.

Still, it'd be interesting to see if Super would ever make it to where Supreme Kai remains unfused BUT Beerus and Whis are forced to fuse together like in DB Fusions. It'd be kind of unique to have Beewhis (or whatever his name is) be permanently one character with elements of both Beerus' unhinged nature and Whis' calm/reserved nature.

precita
Banned

Re: Why Kibito Kai unfusing was best for Super

Post by precita » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Overall I was indifferent about them defusing at first, but now I admit I like it.

I really do like Shin's design more than the fused form where he's taller and has long hair.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 am

I didn't like it at first, because I hate the lack of consequences the Dragon Balls offer to this franchise.
But they made up for it with how well they've using Kaioshin. Now that the Kaioshin and Hakaishin connection became such a central aspect in DBS, I rather this way and I don't want to see Kibitoshin again.
mecha3000 wrote: Still, it'd be interesting to see if Super would ever make it to where Supreme Kai remains unfused BUT Beerus and Whis are forced to fuse together like in DB Fusions. It'd be kind of unique to have Beewhis (or whatever his name is) be permanently one character with elements of both Beerus' unhinged nature and Whis' calm/reserved nature.
I love their fusion design in DB Fusions but it's something that never crossed my mind. However, skinny Beerus and fat Champa to fuse and become a muscular cat...Yeah, it did. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:41 am

Agree with you on everything you wrote but Beerus fusing with Whis. It would ruin two amazing characters. Luckily we know only Kaioshins can permanetly fuse. I swear that potara "retcon" is one if the best thing to ever happen. We finally won't see fans crying "why don't they fuse" anymore, or, at the very least, as much as they used to, considering we also got the "SSB consumes too much of the potara energy" bif
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:53 pm

I honestly felt kind of crappy when Supreme Kai and Kibito put on the potara earrings without knowing that they would be permanently fused. Seriously, Old Kai really should have told them that so they could have decided to be fused forever.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Shouldn't old Kai defuse from the witch then? Could be a nice comedy gag. He finally gets his chance have his youth back, but by the time he defuses he is already an old man.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:07 pm

emperior wrote: Luckily we know only Kaioshins can permanetly fuse. I swear that potara "retcon" is one if the best thing to ever happen. We finally won't see fans crying "why don't they fuse" anymore, or, at the very least, as much as they used to, considering we also got the "SSB consumes too much of the potara energy" bif
Wouldn't the new potara rules increase the amount of people asking why they don't fuse? If fusion isn't permanent, what prevents them from using it in literally every world threatening situation? I can't think of anything besides pride.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:11 pm

It wasn't best, it made hardly a difference. If they did more with Kibito I'd agree, but really Kibitoshin is just Kaioshin but stronger. Otherwise they could have had Kibitoshin do all of what's happened, and nothing changes. It's an indifferent change.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:It wasn't best, it made hardly a difference. If they did more with Kibito I'd agree, but really Kibitoshin is just Kaioshin but stronger. Otherwise they could have had Kibitoshin do all of what's happened, and nothing changes. It's an indifferent change.
If it served as a setup for how they'd defuse Vegetto, that would've been a good piece of foreshadowing but....
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:13 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:It wasn't best, it made hardly a difference. If they did more with Kibito I'd agree, but really Kibitoshin is just Kaioshin but stronger. Otherwise they could have had Kibitoshin do all of what's happened, and nothing changes. It's an indifferent change.
Well the change is based mostly on appearance. I like Shin's design more where he's smaller with the mohawk over his fused form where he's huge and has long hair.

It makes Shin look more inexperience and young in his regular form which fits his character better.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 pm

precita wrote:
Well the change is based mostly on appearance. I like Shin's design more where he's smaller with the mohawk over his fused form where he's huge and has long hair.

It makes Shin look more inexperience and young in his regular form which fits his character better.
Hey that's cool and all, but I don't think it really adds much or makes much of a difference personally. I'd be inclined to only agree, if Kibito had more of a role. In the manga we see he did something. More of that would justify it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
If it served as a setup for how they'd defuse Vegetto, that would've been a good piece of foreshadowing but....
At the very least Vegetto's win count is still zero.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 am

I don't really care. I like their separate designs better, but their defusion doesn't add or subtract anything from the narrative. Quite frankly, I'm confused as to why Toriyama even bothered.
mecha3000 wrote:Having Supreme Kai unfused makes the whole "If one of us dies, the other dies" parallel stronger because we know that both Shin and Beerus have their own attendants instead of Kibito Kai being one entity while Beerus still has his attendant, Whis.
How does that follow, exactly? Fused or unfused, Kaioshin has a connection with Beerus. Whether or not both of them have attendants doesn't have anything to do with it.
Retired.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm

I think Toriyama had them defuse for story reasons since he did have the life force of the Kaioshins and the Gods of Destruction together. Not to mention I always found Kibitoshin to be pointless since he is just Kaioshin with a different body.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:52 pm

I always thought Kibito Kai was an ugly man child of a fusion.

I preferred their own designs as individuals over their fusion.

Just my opinion on that though.

As it concerns Super... It just looks like their rolling with a tough God crew.
It's more unique and differs from other universes, Elder Kai, Kibito, and Supreme Kai with Beerus and Whis... God Crew checking in.