Would you like to see Japan do a live-action DB feature?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Would you like to see Japan do a live-action DB feature?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:35 am

Japan's has done a lot of live-action features of its famous shows. Examples include:

Gintama

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Space Battleship Yamato

Sailor Moon

Would you like to see Japan do a live-action DB show/film, if they could pull off the VFX (and more crucially the acting and fun/serious tone)?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FlorianGran

Re: Would you like to see Japan do a live-action DB feature?

Post by FlorianGran » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:34 am

Eh, not really. Call it nostalgia or bias or whatever, but Dragonball should always look like Toriyama's art. It's cartoony and deceptively simple, and live actors wouldn't capture it as well. I feel the same about all manga that go for a cartoon style (I wouldn't want a live action One Piece either), but I don't have a problem with live action adaptations whose artwork or setting strive to be realistic.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:27 am

The only "live action" DB I'd like to see is a big budget CGI movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:01 am

NO.

Not even with a 100 Millon + Budget.

You will never capture the vision Toriyama created.

I've never seen any Ki style attacks look anywhere near good enough or realistic enough on film. They wouldn't even get Saiyan hair correct.

NO. Just NO.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:46 am

I don't feel like anything about Dragon Ball particularly lends itself to live action, especially not within an nidustry as hamstrung for special-effects budgets as the Japanese studio system is, but I'd still be curious enough to check it out.

Glad to see people here acknowledging that Dragon Ball is basically inseparable from Toriyama's art though.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:00 am

Cipher wrote:I don't feel like anything about Dragon Ball particularly lends itself to live action, especially not within an industry as hamstrung for special-effects budgets as the Japanese studio system is, but I'd still be curious enough to check it out.

Glad to see people here acknowledging that Dragon Ball is basically inseparable from Toriyama's art though.
Here is the Pledge of Z Japanese music video from the Frieza DBZ film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYYhAryLnHY

They came very close to capturing Toriyama's artwork I think.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:05 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:They came very close to capturing Toriyama's artwork I think.
Unfortunately Chiaotzu is way too prominent in that video for it to feel authentic.

But yes, I would be up for a kitschy Japanese live-action take.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:10 am

Cipher wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:They came very close to capturing Toriyama's artwork I think.
Unfortunately Chiaotzu is way too prominent in that video for it to feel authentic.

But yes, I would be up for a kitschy Japanese live-action take.
It'd probably have to be kitschy wouldn't it? And that'd have to go for ANY adaptation, especially since much of DB is based on parodying other works (martial arts, Journey to the West, etc).

And anyway some kitsch would be refreshing after all the trend of live-action cartoon adaptations getting "updated" to be all grim and serious.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:13 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It'd probably have to be kitschy wouldn't it? And that'd have to go for ANY adaptation, especially since much of DB is based on parodying other works (martial arts, Journey to the West, etc).

And anyway some kitsch would be refreshing after all the trend of live-action cartoon adaptations getting "updated" to be all grim and serious.
I mean, I'm all for kitsch, especially in Japanese manga adaptations, as the productions usually can't afford, and the content often feels somewhat betrayed by, anything but.

This is all to say, I'd be up for something of a similar nature to the live-action Sailor Moon series, even if I don't think it really needs to exist. I think that kind of adaptation would at least be sincere and interesting.

That might even go doubly for Dragon Ball, since so many of its influences are kitschy live-action productions to begin with.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 am

Yeah, kitschy, tongue-in-cheek is OK. A serious one? No way, they would screw it.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Japan could do a live-action movie pretty well, unlike the absolute utter crap that Dragonball Evolution is. So I'll say sure, make a live action movie. They seem to be a big thing these days and unlike American live-action anime movies they are actually good and faithful to the anime.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:21 pm

If Toriyama himself were given the final say regarding any of the creative liberties, I'd at least give it the time of day.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:22 pm

No, it would just look like a bad cosplay.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:44 pm

With a damn good budget and people working behind the scenes who wouldn't make pointless changes to the source material, sure. I dont think the first arc of the manga is anything too vast to not be translated well to film. But again, it would have to have a damn good budget and the right people working on it.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Also, more criteria:
1. Don't make anyone white.
2. Have some of the original voice actors make cameos as roles other than the ones they voice.
3. Do it legally. The era of "Ssawora Son Goku, Igyeora Son Goku" bootlegs is over.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm torn on this. On one hand, Japan would certainly do a better job than Evolution. On the other hand, while this kind of fighting has been staple of the Wuxia before DB was even conceived I just can't see it put together well outside of animation - Toriyama's art style is too iconic.
floofychan333 wrote:Also, more criteria:
IMO some characters would fit better played by whites, like Bulma who's supposed to be more Western (I know the stylised art direction makes any racial traits more vague, but culturally the western part of the continent she hails from looks evidently Western). Also Mr. Satan who's a tall, hairy, burly spoof of hammy wrestlers.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:30 am

Good god no. Their movies usually look like trash because they simply don't have the budget to produce anything worthwhile.

The Japanese actors are also infamously well known for being terrible at acting for the most part.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 am

Nope.

Dragon Ball is so cartoony and outlandish with its distinctive style that it's impossible to capture completely faithfully in a live action setting, even if it had a monster budget behind it. You would need a crap load of CGI just match some of the settings in Dragon Ball, let along how the characters would look like. I honestly wouldn't mind if some liberties were taken, because it would really be a near improbable task to make a live action Dragon Ball movie capture all the aesthetics of the manga without going into the uncanny valley.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Beek King wrote:I'm torn on this. On one hand, Japan would certainly do a better job than Evolution. On the other hand, while this kind of fighting has been staple of the Wuxia before DB was even conceived I just can't see it put together well outside of animation - Toriyama's art style is too iconic.
floofychan333 wrote:Also, more criteria:
IMO some characters would fit better played by whites, like Bulma who's supposed to be more Western (I know the stylised art direction makes any racial traits more vague, but culturally the western part of the continent she hails from looks evidently Western). Also Mr. Satan who's a tall, hairy, burly spoof of hammy wrestlers.
I just meant don't pull an Evolution and make Goku white. True, Bulma could be white but it's probably really hard to find a white actress who can speak fluent Japanese. Also, I've always thought Mr Satan is half black, half Arabic.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 pm

He's a loud obnoxious showy wrestler Mr. Satan is the whitest guy ever in DBZ.

Not sure about Bulma being white vs Japanese though.

Goku needs to be Japanese. If its an unacceptable for Superman to be anything but white than its unacceptable for Goku to not be Japanese

Personally I think you can do Dragon Ball Z without the cartoony and kitschy elements and stay relatively faithful.

Dragon Ball Evolution was a terrible example.