Kyle Hebert's narration is so out place with the Japanese score

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Kyle Hebert's narration is so out place with the Japanese score

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Not sure if its his delivery or the lines they gave him to say but his voice does not fit as the narrator with the Japanese BGM. They should have used the guy from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Kai

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Kyle Hebert's narration is so out place with the Japanese score

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 am

Possibly because the Nicktoons kids might not've grown up with the old dub, but with Super (& BoG) they arent taking any chances. The whole point of the dub is to maximize profits...which it clearly has done several times over - they're keeping scripts intact with the Japanese version which is popularized over the Internet, while at the same time presenting parts of the old show that a mass audience grew up with. It's not a particularly "good dub" in my eyes, but it's respectful enough & well, it makes money for Toei, & doesnt erase the availability of the JP version (of Super specificly - God knows how many issues we have with DB/Z releases).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote:They should have used the guy from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Kai
They are two different people. Dragon Ball's narrator was Brice Armstrong, and Kai's is Doc Morgan.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:22 am

And Brice retired years ago from voice acting.

Kyle is kinda funny as the Smodcast Network promo guy, but he doesn't have that sort of voice for a narrator.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 am

ABED wrote:And Brice retired years ago from voice acting.

Kyle is kinda funny as the Smodcast Network promo guy, but he doesn't have that sort of voice for a narrator.
I do feel it's mainly the style & the fact that we're used to him as "the guy who ruined the DBZ dub narration" rather than a professional, talented, varied VA. Although with that said, I dont think he himself is actually too bad for a narrator. Although the DB & Kai narrators certainly did have that older fellow's quality about them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

I do feel it's mainly the style & the fact that we're used to him as "the guy who ruined the DBZ dub narration" rather than a professional, talented, varied VA. Although with that said, I dont think he himself is actually too bad for a narrator. Although the DB & Kai narrators certainly did have that older fellow's quality about them.
It's not a result of being used to him as that guy, I just don't think he has that sort of voice for narration. The best way I can put it is he tries to sound like a narrator instead of just being a narrator.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:28 pm

ABED wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

It's not a result of being used to him as that guy, I just don't think he has that sort of voice for narration. The best way I can put it is he tries to sound like a narrator instead of just being a narrator.
Its not even that. His pumped sports announcer voice sounds fine with the Johnson or Faulconer score but put it with the more light hearted and relaxed Japanese score and its hilariously out of place

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:58 pm

TBH, I can't imagine any other kind of narration. Sure, the dub's narrator's voice is unfitting, but honestly, I can't imagine an alternative.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:12 pm

ABED wrote:...but he doesn't have that sort of voice for a narrator.
I can see how people might think that in terms of DBZ, because he was brought in to match the narration style of Dale Kelly, who was cast during a time when FUNimation didn't have as clear an understanding of what kind of show DBZ was. However, I've heard him in other stuff, and he can actually do some legitimately awesome, badass sounding narration. Heck, even in BoG (which he provided the opening narration for), I think he sounded way better.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 pm

He's always been unfitting to me. He and Dale Kelly's approach to narration can basically be summed up as monster truck announcers. I get what they were going for but in my opinion, that direction cheapened the overall feel of the show. The lines they were given didn't help either but I just can't see those voices working even with a decent script. Steve Olson was another misfire but I personally didn't find him as grating as Dale who often just sounded a bit too guttural and unnatural sounding with that obvious put-on voice, it often gave the show a more sinister tone. It works decently as a character like Ginyu but not a for the narrator. Herbert was essentially just Dale Kelly light and I've always found it very bland. Aside from Chris Ayres, Doc Morgan was one of the best things about the Kai recasts.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 pm

He was just as unfitting as Dale Kelly was.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Which one was Dale Kelly?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Dale Kelly was the announcer starting in season 3 and he played Ginyu.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Huh I honestly remember Kyle Hebert doing it from the time Funimation took over ADR

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:26 pm

It's been a while since I've watched the DBZ dub with the Japanese score, but I didn't really feel Hebert stuck out too bad. But I agree he doesn't fit at well as Armstrong or Morgan. If you want to hear some really hilariously out of place narration though, listen to Andy Chandler's GT narrator with the Japanese score.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Huh I honestly remember Kyle Hebert doing it from the time Funimation took over ADR
I can think of two possible reasons why you might think this. Firstly, Kyle Hebert was brought in to match Dale Kelly (I don't recall when, but I want to say around the Buu arc), so it's possible that their narration styles blurred together after a while. Or, alternatively, it could be because when FUNimation got around to releasing the orange brick DVD sets in the mid-to-late 2000's, they had Hebert come in and re-voice all of Kelly's narration. They also--mercifully--re-wrote a lot of the narration scripts and toned down the corniness (not enough, in my opinion, but I'm all for acknowledging any effort, no matter how small, towards making a better product). The dub audio track used for the orange bricks has been re-used for every DBZ home video release since, so you won't ever see a future home video release featuring Dale Kelly's original narration. I'll see if I can dig up a comparison video featuring a scene that Hebert re-dubbed.

EDIT: This one features narration that wasn't re-written, but it's a start.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Here's a Dale Kelly vs. Kyle Hebert narration comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-1Za-OmQU

(EDIT: TheBlackPaladin beat me to it)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:34 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:It's been a while since I've watched the DBZ dub with the Japanese score, but I didn't really feel Hebert stuck out too bad. But I agree he doesn't fit at well as Armstrong or Morgan. If you want to hear some really hilariously out of place narration though, listen to Andy Chandler's GT narrator with the Japanese score.
This very much.
GT's dub in general doesn't gel with the original score very well, but while most of it is tolerable, the narration is really what ruins it for me.
Honestly, because of how poorly the GT dub fits with the original score, Blue Water's dub is probably a better English version of the show.

As for Z, I don't think it's that bad. It's a little odd, but it mostly works. Dale Kelley's would probably be a worse fit.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I don't think the dub is bad with the original GT score, no moreso than DBZ. It's just the narration. The overly serious tone of the narration doesn't fit with the original score.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I know the wrestling/monster truck rally comparison is a general adage by this point, but I'm only just now realizing how much Kelly's narration sounds like a Randy Savage imitation. :lol: