Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Totamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he wants to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
Like Black being Goten..........
Oh, man. The fanbase were so fucking hung up in that theory. Before Goku Black's reveal in the anime, so many fans desperately wanted Goten to be Goku Black, even though it was such a ridiculous idea.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he want to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
I think Toyotaro is evidence enough that fans simply cannot write Dragon Ball, fans sure as heck can draw it but not write, even something like this if you gave a fan to write Resurrection "F" with the basic plot lines from Toriyama I think it is very likely that the charm of what the final movie had wouldn't be there.
It's basically what GT is - fans writing DB. Some good ideas, but not quite DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he want to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
I think Toyotaro is evidence enough that fans simply cannot write Dragon Ball, fans sure as heck can draw it but not write, even something like this if you gave a fan to write Resurrection "F" with the basic plot lines from Toriyama I think it is very likely that the charm of what the final movie had wouldn't be there.
What was the charm?
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he wants to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
Like Black being Goten..........
Oh, man. The fanbase were so fucking hung up in that theory. Before Goku Black's reveal in the anime, so many fans desperately wanted Goten to be Goku Black, even though it was such a ridiculous idea.
It doesn't even make sense, goten is dead in future trunks' timeline and our goten grows up to be normal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
What was the charm?
It's very funny and lighthearted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

On the subject on writing Dragon ball. The thing is, Dragon ball is always changing, Part 1 is different to Part 2 (Z) and likewise to Super. They're all different in comparison so I don't really think it is very fair, Toriyama himself seems to change over the years in his years of writing Dragon Ball.

I also don't think BOG Is a fair example because Toriyama had a long time to work on it.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:On the subject on writing Dragon ball. The thing is, Dragon ball is always changing, Part 1 is different to Part 2 (Z) and likewise to Super. They're all different in comparison so I don't really think it is very fair, Toriyama himself seems to change over the years in his years of writing Dragon Ball.

I also don't think BOG Is a fair example because Toriyama had a long time to work on it.
And even in DB, the story is different from beginning to end. Hell, even Z is different from beginning to end.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegeta's rage surpassing SS3 wasn't fanservice then? Goku getting a God power up wasn't fan service?
No and no. Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta surpassing Super Saiyan 3 Goku was bullshit, but not fanservice (Trunks can do it in the manga too). Getting a god power up is a plot point being used until nowadays, so it's not fanservice.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Also you act like fan service is a bad thing when it's not. M15 was a film meant to be experienced with fellow fans in a theatre it set out what it wanted to achieve, it never once aimed to be anything but and it was still to this day the single most best theatre experience I ever had.
Fan service is generally a bad idea, as I mentioned earlier, it is the very and solely reason why Freeza was brought back and look how it turned out.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~