Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Post by keyz05 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 am

Now, I'm curious... After a recent amount of Episodes in Super, I was wondering... Does Toriyama listen to his fans after the recent episodes of Super came out? I mean, they feel so improved to me, in my opinion. Does anyone agree to this or what?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm

No, and he shouldn't. Fans are stupid and don't know what they want.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:51 pm

And on the small possibility he did, it would only be Japanese speaking fans of course.

Toriyama wouldn't care what a bunch of english speaking foreigners who grew up with the west thing about Dragonball.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure. Lots of fans here have made speculations about DB that actually made it into the story, for example Future Trunks' return and the female SSJ. However, I highly doubt he listens to a bunch of English-speaking fans that he doesn't really care about.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't think Toriyama listens, but the Dragon Ball Room sure does. I think they're the ones behind the recent fan stuff.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:32 pm

He said that he added more action to RF cause fans thought BOG didn't have enough so we know that he does now but during the manga's run however, he said multiple times that he didn't and that's why I think it turned out as good as it did.

The franchise is a lot more merchandise oriented than it was before so listening to fans is probably a priority now.
Chuquita wrote:I don't think Toriyama listens, but the Dragon Ball Room sure does. I think they're the ones behind the recent fan stuff.
They did say they were paying attention to what the international fans want (or maybe fans in general).
floofychan333 wrote:I highly doubt he listens to a bunch of English-speaking fans that he doesn't really care about.
Maybe he isn't but the DB room that works with him does.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Fans are stupid and don't know what they want.
I think the problem with fans is that they want more of the same. Bring characters back and introduce new Ssj forms are usually on top of the list of fan demands.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Didn't Toriyama originally intend on Gohan defeating Buu before Japanese fans demanded it be Goku?

Or was that just a dumb rumor/half truth?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Or was that just a dumb rumor/people talking out their ass?
Fixed and answered.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:01 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure. Lots of fans here have made speculations about DB that actually made it into the story, for example Future Trunks' return and the female SSJ. However, I highly doubt he listens to a bunch of English-speaking fans that he doesn't really care about.
I think the Dragonball Room is most likely responsible for that. It almost seems like they might be the ones who take the most popular things the fanbase asks for and considers a concept through what their staff of Toriyama might say to it. It just seems that way because of the Female Broly troll character and the heavier tones of this "evil Goku" theme that we're getting a lot in Super and the more recent demand for Gohan relevance we're seeing. If this is the case, I'm nervous, because the vocal majority of the western fandom seriously has the worst ideas judging by its fanfic.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure. Lots of fans here have made speculations about DB that actually made it into the story, for example Future Trunks' return and the female SSJ. However, I highly doubt he listens to a bunch of English-speaking fans that he doesn't really care about.
I think the Dragonball Room is most likely responsible for that. It almost seems like they might be the ones who take the most popular things the fanbase asks for and considers a concept through what their staff of Toriyama might say to it. It just seems that way because of the Female Broly troll character and the heavier tones of this "evil Goku" theme that we're getting a lot in Super and the more recent demand for Gohan relevance we're seeing. If this is the case, I'm nervous, because the vocal majority of the western fandom seriously has the worst ideas judging by its fanfic.

Same here. I've lost a lot of hope in Super as of late.

I'm willing to wait until the end of this arc to see if it redeems itself, but right now I'm feeling let down.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Same here. Ignoring both the core fans and the new younger fans in favor of the western casual nostalgia base makes me feel like that one group is the only one that matters to them. :(

I'm willing to wait until the end of this arc to see if it redeems itself, but right now I'm feeling let down.
Exactly. It's why I'm starting to respect GT a bit more because it still had some sense of innovation to it where it was made as a spiritual continuation of the series as a story, as opposed to the sake of commercializing nostalgia that Super seems to thrive on. Its why these arcs don't feel as organic as they could be alternatively. They feel more like they're just what the vocal casual majority would want for the sake of it being "cool".

- An evil Goku & an evil Kaioshin (revised AF plotline.)
- SSB Vegito returned for hype. Fans wanted Vegito.
- Trunks gets all these new moves, and all this elevated treatment and gets the most significant kill. For Trunks fans.
- An arc about all 12 Universes, people wanted from BoG.
- A "Universal War" arc: People wanted in speculation. Now we have the Battle Royal.
- The main Goku being evil (somewhat, as the multiverse hates him and sees him as evil.)

It could be a conspiracy to me, but it isn't unlikely. I honestly think if they're going to pander to the casual west's nostalgia and the market of who would by anything under the brand regardless, it should make sense that they'd want to hear from people who could improve the story with a fine-tooth-comb but then again, my personal ideas won't sell the most toys, just make a better anime. (all the while people will say Super is the greatest thing ever anyway as is).
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm

He does read what the fans say. When fans told him not to kill Vegeta, he responded by killing Vegeta off.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Toriyama once said fans sent him letter asking him not to kill vegeta on namek and he did the opposite of that.

But that was then, toriyama is older and much more mellowed out, so I think he does listen to fans which is great because fans want stupid shit, let them have their stupid shit.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 pm

I don't think he does, his only computer he uses it for work from what I heard he does not use the internet. So I guess he does not listen to fans.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Well... I was just curious as to why he decides to improve his show, all of a sudden. But I think he doesn't listen to his fans, in my opinion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm willing to wait until the end of this arc to see if it redeems itself, but right now I'm feeling let down.
The only way to fairly judge Super is to wait till it's over cause as of now it can get really good, really bad or stay the same so it's hard to give a final judgment on something that's still ongoing.
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:It could be a conspiracy to me, but it isn't unlikely.
Toriyama and the DB room said they were listening to fans and trying to give them what they wanted so it's not a conspiracy.

I'm not against listening to fans to a degree but BOG was the last thing that felt completely original, everything afterwards had some form of major fan service. bringing back Freeza, alternate universe saiyans and Freeza, an evil Goku, bringing Trunks back and now a Broly lookalike.

Although the stories have been good so far, this kind of constant fan pandering really clashes with BOG and the original manga in the sense that those were a one man's work while these have a lot of hands on it, both officially (Toriyama, Toei's writers, Toyotaruo, the DB room, probably Bandai,etc.) and unofficially (fans).

Based on that I think it's safe to say we'll see Bardock and Gogeta sooner or later. I guess one way to predict future events is to go through popular demand and see what fans want now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 am

sintzu wrote:Toriyama and the DB room said they were listening to fans and trying to give them what they wanted so it's not a conspiracy.
Well I guess thats the confirmation then, but where are they going for input? Its eerie that the fanbase for example decreed that Goku was a terrible father, and now he confirms that he is with him just laughing off how he neglected Goten.
sintzu wrote:I'm not against listening to fans to a degree
The right ones, yes. I mean If they came for input before Super started, they could have gotten feedback to what they needed to improve on from Z or GT, though I really wouldn't know who is trustworthy enough with that sort of creative control.
sintzu wrote:BOG was the last thing that felt completely original, everything afterwards had some form of major fan service. bringing back Freeza, alternate universe saiyans and Freeza, an evil Goku, bringing Trunks back and now a Broly lookalike.
Yeah, you can definitely feel the difference in the series quality from its peak in BoG & its downfall from ROF where the huge dip is noticeable, then the gimmicky plots in Super and the lack of an actual story in them. I also might be the only one who really thinks the designs for the new characters have really stepped down from what we had been used to. I mean Toyotaro really can't design characters to save his life. Ivan still irks me.
sintzu wrote:Although the stories have been good so far, this kind of constant fan pandering really clashes with BOG and the original manga in the sense that those were a one man's work while these have a lot of hands on it, both officially (Toriyama, Toei's writers, Toyotaruo, the DB room, probably Bandai,etc.) and unofficially (fans).
I fear its because there is no inspiration to Super being done at all. It isn't made as a continuation in mind but only thrown out because of the success of ROF. There just isn't any real innovation to it and as a stand alone series it really feels like a generic modern Shounen show. Theres just no substance in Super for me. It feels like it just exists for the sake of it existing. GT at least tried to progress the story.
sintzu wrote:Based on that I think it's safe to say we'll see Bardock and Gogeta sooner or later. I guess one way to predict future events is to go through popular demand and see what fans want now.
I honestly do expect to see Bardock somewhere now, even though they already ruined his character enough.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 am

Why do so many on here think "evil Goku" is somehow fan related? It's a fictional trope to have dark versions of the hero.

As for "the fans" there is no such thing. It's just a label of a disparate group of people with different preferences and opinions.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:01 am

Considering how each fan have different story in mind, he would get crazy, if he tried to please everyone :D
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:13 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:No, and he shouldn't. Fans are stupid and don't know what they want.
This.
I want Toriyama's story, not stories of him trying to please his fans.