Who saw the Japanese version as a kid?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Re: Who saw the Japanese version as a kid?

Post by Lunaar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 am

ABED wrote:What American cartoons have people getting peed on?
*readies notepad and pen, waiting eagerly*
ecrockedboston wrote:I had watched the Japanese version on the international channel because only 50 episodes had aired in English ><

No, really though. I remember being mesmerized by "Head Cha La" and "We Got Power" when I saw them for the first time. This was at a time when anime was this new, exotic thing.
I'm glad LuckyCat and I weren't the only ones, then! I wish I still had the old recordings. They've been taped over numerous times... most of which were for the Toonami airings, shamefully.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm

As a kid the only time I watched Dragon Ball in japanese was in 2002 only once, it was with a VHS of Metal Cooler movie.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I grew up in the UK, and guess I was around 7 when DBZ first started airing. Honestly, my schoolmates and I all just assumed it was American. One of my friends even spread some crap about Goku living in Texas and his full name being "Goku Anderson" or something.

When we started secondary school, naturally we shunned such things because we were grown ups now, and it wasn't until I was about 16 that I got back into DB, got into it seriously and watched the original, bought the manga etc.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:17 pm

In general I would say that I didnt have Cartoon Network growing up (still dont, though I might just subscribe once we get Stardust Crusaders in a few weeks), so it was really the comics & some of the games (dubbed with FUNi VAs) that were my exposure, on top of peripheral exposure through the huge audience.

I would say that one time I was fumbling with the TV remote on one of the DVDs I borrowed from the library (I was mostly reading the manga - thankfully- as the show order was so damn confusing & also hard to find), & fumbled upon the audio track switching button. For a moment I was rather confused, figuring it was broken, though it did cross my mind that DB was Japanese, of course there are Japanese voices. It was only for a couple of minutes though, & I wouldnt really consider it that much of an impression on me. I was about 11 though, & this was pre-immediate Internet subs, so I didn't really consider the idea of watching it subtitled. I thought, well, it's an official product, I'm sure they did a good job translating. It didn't remotely cross my mind that perhaps it was a very lame hackjob post-production job, or especially that they'd intentionally butcher the show.

At the same time however, I had learned of "Cha la Head cha la" being DB's Japanese opening through Shonen Jump's October 2007 DBZ blowout (that propaganda about the "remastered" bricks, btw, was quite confusing at the time, & rightfully so), so when I saw Abridged for the first time (dont kill me), I did recognize "Oh yeah, that's the Japanese opening, pretty cool!". Overall, it's taken me awhile to really get into the Japanese voice track, mainly because of the audio quality, but certainly as I learned that DB was essentially a showcase of the Japanese voice-over industry, it's become more important to me at least on that merit.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:47 pm

The only "Japanese Version" of DBZ that I ever saw/heard as a kid was probably when I played Super Butuoden 2 on Super Nintendo that belonged to one of my older cousins.

I remember how jarring it was to hear all of the character's voices, especially Goku's and Gohan's, were so different.

It was also the first time I saw Broly, Bojack, and Zangya.

Fun to play, but I was terrible at winning.

Ultimate Battle 22 was another game in which I heard the Original Japanese Voices growing up.

The last time I would hear them again was when I bought Budokai 3 GREATEST HITS version and I could switch the voices to Japanese, if I wanted to.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

I first saw the Japanese version when I was 8/9 but it wasn't till I was 12 I grew to seriously appreciate it.

So technically... yes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 pm

I've watched the series mostly in English, but I have watched some subbed episodes and I'm technically still a kid so I guess I kind of did?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Lunaar wrote:
ABED wrote:What American cartoons have people getting peed on?
*readies notepad and pen, waiting eagerly*
ecrockedboston wrote:I had watched the Japanese version on the international channel because only 50 episodes had aired in English ><

No, really though. I remember being mesmerized by "Head Cha La" and "We Got Power" when I saw them for the first time. This was at a time when anime was this new, exotic thing.
I'm glad LuckyCat and I weren't the only ones, then! I wish I still had the old recordings. They've been taped over numerous times... most of which were for the Toonami airings, shamefully.
I still remember seeing ads for bloussant, a breast enhancement pill. Heh.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

People in this thread have reminded me that I also had all three Dragon Ball PlayStation games as a thirteen-year-old (super cool kid right here), so that was another bit of exposure to the Japanese voices. I didn't really think anything of it.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Cipher wrote:People in this thread have reminded me that I also had all three Dragon Ball PlayStation games as a thirteen-year-old (super cool kid right here), so that was another bit of exposure to the Japanese voices. I didn't really think anything of it.
Would you say the conversation here is more implicative of discussion of the original story, or more about the cultural flavor of the language itself?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Would you say the conversation here is more implicative of discussion of the original story, or more about the cultural flavor of the language itself?
Cultural flavor, but not just in terms of the language. There's a reason you so rarely see manga versus anime invoked as a divide within English-speaking fandom, despite the accuracy of Viz and FUNimation's scripts being quite far apart.

If we wanted to stop mincing words in most of these threads, we could just focus discussion on Nozawa and Kikuchi from the start.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 am

Cipher wrote:People in this thread have reminded me that I also had all three Dragon Ball PlayStation games as a thirteen-year-old (super cool kid right here), so that was another bit of exposure to the Japanese voices. I didn't really think anything of it.
Besides having a SNES well past 1996, we were a PC house - so we definitely played a crap-ton of the Super Butouden games via emulation. Those games are probably how I got used to hearing the cast change as a child, seeing as I played them regularly.

...do I even need to put a disclaimer here about how emulation is piracy? It's piracy, kids. It's also 20-goddamned-17.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Lunaar wrote:
Besides having a SNES well past 1996, we were a PC house - so we definitely played a crap-ton of the Super Butouden games via emulation. Those games are probably how I got used to hearing the cast change as a child, seeing as I played them regularly.
Cipher and Lunaar, you both have a good point about the voices. I also think Super Butouden did a good job of setting up Gohan as the protagonist of the Cell games. At least, I was totally expecting Goku to concede and for Cell's real opponent to be Gohan when I finally saw the anime.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 am

Lunaar wrote:do I even need to put a disclaimer here about how emulation is piracy? It's piracy, kids.
Just a reminder that its downloading ROMs that's illegal, not using emulators themselves. Otherwise it would also be illegal to run homebrew ROMs on emulators and things like Steam and Gog Dosbox game bundlez as well as Nintendo's Virtual Console couldnt legally exist.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 am

Lunaar wrote:...do I even need to put a disclaimer here about how emulation is piracy? It's piracy, kids.
Got a great GDC talk for you to watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWY7fCXUwE
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Uh... I'm REALLY sprry Mr Vegetto Ex but that video is 1 hour and 56 seconds long? Could we please get a Readers Digest version?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Lunaar wrote:...do I even need to put a disclaimer here about how emulation is piracy? It's piracy, kids.
Got a great GDC talk for you to watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWY7fCXUwE
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Uh... I'm REALLY sprry Mr Vegetto Ex but that video is 1 hour and 56 seconds long? Could we please get a Readers Digest version?
Uh... I'm REALLY sprry Mr(s? Miss? ...Dr?) Cure Dragon 255 but it's a GDC talk. I was just given the best way to pass time at work. Thanks, friend!

EDIT: I was awash in memories of the NESticle when it was presented. That made this viewing worth it alone. Really enjoying it. Anyway, let's get back on topic.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Mr, and I'm glad you are so polite. What's a GCD talk btw? I get it that its (Apparently) meant to be really long and so on but I still dont know what that is...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Mr, and I'm glad you are so polite. What's a GCD talk btw? I get it that its (Apparently) meant to be really long and so on but I still dont know what that is...
"GDC" is Game Developers Conference, an annual event where video game developers get together to talk shop, share best-practices, debrief, arrange further business deals, etc. Unlike something like E3, it's not really intended for or directed at the press, and even less for regular consumers. This is an example one one such presentation from the event in 2016.

The person presenting the aforementioned talk, Frank Cifaldi (now also of the Video Game History Foundation), worked with Digital Eclipse on the Mega Man Legacy Collection product (and the upcoming Disney Afternoon Collection), which collect old NES games and present them in a playable fashion on modern consoles (things like PS4, Xbox One, and PC). As you'll hear in the talk, "emulation" is a "dirty word" with game publishers, and so even though they're essentially emulating the older games, they're doing so in a way that isn't technically emulation (it's been rewritten in C). The word "emulation" has been equated with piracy, when that's not the case at all: the one case of emulation being brought to court was struck down. Emulation in and of itself is not piracy.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Mr, and I'm glad you are so polite. What's a GCD talk btw? I get it that its (Apparently) meant to be really long and so on but I still dont know what that is...
"GDC" is Game Developers Conference, an annual event where video game developers get together to talk shop, share best-practices, debrief, arrange further business deals, etc. Unlike something like E3, it's not really intended for or directed at the press, and even less for regular consumers. This is an example one one such presentation from the event in 2016.

The person presenting the aforementioned talk, Frank Cifaldi (now also of the Video Game History Foundation), worked with Digital Eclipse on the Mega Man Legacy Collection product (and the upcoming Disney Afternoon Collection), which collect old NES games and present them in a playable fashion on modern consoles (things like PS4, Xbox One, and PC). As you'll hear in the talk, "emulation" is a "dirty word" with game publishers, and so even though they're essentially emulating the older games, they're doing so in a way that isn't technically emulation (it's been rewritten in C). The word "emulation" has been equated with piracy, when that's not the case at all: the one case of emulation being brought to court was struck down. Emulation in and of itself is not piracy.
This is worth a discussion on an entirely different board, but if you'll allow me to go off-topic for a while, let me be clear: I was absolutely in need of correction when I made that statement. I'm only 23 minutes in and it's been wildly entertaining (for me. I love this stuff). While I was using the inappropriate terminology to begin with, as I had intended to mean that owning ROMs and playing them is illegal but ended up saying "emulation" anyway - I was entirely wrong on the matter. I had no idea about the court cases on emulation (I remember Bleem!) and while I had always known that the Wii Virtual Console was basically a glorified, hypocritical emulator that sells you ROMs... that bit about the Super Mario Bros. ROM coding being identical to one found online from the late 90s is mind-numbingly bonkers to me.

I didn't even know I was a fan of this guy, as I knew about Gamasutra back in the day and really enjoy the work put into the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I've paused the video at the moment, so I'm not sure if he addresses this later, but is anyone aware of how inferior Nintendo's emulation is on the Virtual Console? Getting into the Virtual Console's debug mode reveals a couple of options that remain locked and invisible to everyone - including the brightness/gamma adjuster, of which is set to be incredibly low for all games. Compare any game on Mega Man Legacy Collection to the individual product that Nintendo sells on the VC and you'll know what I'm talking about. Did you know you can raise the resolution settings on DS games, making them look better than anyone's ever seen? It's nuts. ...alright, shutting up and going back to the video. This is a great watch, thanks VegettoEX.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★