Who saw the Japanese version as a kid?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who saw the Japanese version as a kid?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:28 pm

I loved the video too. I was in a hurry but then I decided to skip college today.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm

I want to say I was 11 or 12 years old when I first saw glimpses of the Japanese version in the early 2000s, via a handful of clips that were hosted on an old fansite called DBZ Domain. They were clips taken from the International Channel broadcast, with subtitles based on the ancient Usagi North translations transcribed in a black box below the video.

Awhile later I got a hold of a fansub tape from a store that had them and was emptying them from their stock (this was well after Funimation was already putting out dual audio DVDs. Looking back this really a pretty shady thing for this place to be doing). By 2003 I had managed to get a few of Funi's singles and gradually I started prefer the Japanese version as time went on.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 am

Well, I'm from Brazil, so I watched DB dubbed in my language (which is the best one in the world, except from the japanese one :D :D ), BUT our version doesn't have the changes in the soundtrack, like yours, so I think I can say that I watched kind of a inalthered version of the series.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I first saw Dragon Ball in Japanese in 1996 (starting with a dbz movie and DBGT). I was 14 years old at the time. So I guess, yeah? Having grown up with the french dub, I found Goku's voice very off, but I quickly got used to it.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Yep, I use to watch the Buu saga on the International Channel in RAW Japanese while I was watching the Cell Saga on Toonami. Still prefer the dub to this day, but DBZ is DBZ and it was enjoyable.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:15 pm

I always knew that it was a Japanese series as a kid (thanks to the ultra primitive internet in the late 90's), but my first experience with the Japanese voices was with Final Bout and Greatest Legends on PS1 in late-99. After that, I saw Japanese versions of some movies in 2003. I started collecting the DVDs in 2004 (I believe) and that's when I actually got exposed to the Japanese version. So I first heard the voices when I was 11, but really saw true Japanese content when I was 15. I'm 29 now, by the way... That feels terrible to write out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:53 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I always knew that it was a Japanese series as a kid (thanks to the ultra primitive internet in the late 90's), but my first experience with the Japanese voices was with Final Bout and Greatest Legends on PS1 in late-99. After that, I saw Japanese versions of some movies in 2003. I started collecting the DVDs in 2004 (I believe) and that's when I actually got exposed to the Japanese version. So I first heard the voices when I was 11, but really saw true Japanese content when I was 15. I'm 29 now, by the way... That feels terrible to write out.
I'm 34 and turning 35 later this year. Does that make you feel less terrible?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:31 am

sangofe wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I always knew that it was a Japanese series as a kid (thanks to the ultra primitive internet in the late 90's), but my first experience with the Japanese voices was with Final Bout and Greatest Legends on PS1 in late-99. After that, I saw Japanese versions of some movies in 2003. I started collecting the DVDs in 2004 (I believe) and that's when I actually got exposed to the Japanese version. So I first heard the voices when I was 11, but really saw true Japanese content when I was 15. I'm 29 now, by the way... That feels terrible to write out.
Nah because others' age is like "Okay, cool" but when it's me, I start freaking out lol It's more about what I've done and have yet to do as opposed to the actual age lol

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Nah because others' age is like "Okay, cool" but when it's me, I start freaking out lol It's more about what I've done and have yet to do as opposed to the actual age lol

Dude, don't give a shit about expectations and what's "normal"...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote:
Awhile later I got a hold of a fansub tape from a store that had them and was emptying them from their stock (this was well after Funimation was already putting out dual audio DVDs. Looking back this really a pretty shady thing for this place to be doing).
My local Japanese collector shop and comic book shop was like that around 2002. By 2002, the Internet was more common and DVD finally outsold VHS. You still had VHS fan subs being made in 1999 up to 2002 since I remember .Hack//Sign and Chobits had VHS fan subs.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/