Saga Continues Toy Line

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Saga Continues Toy Line

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm

So I was making my rounds on ebay, mainly looking at Super Battle Collection and Saga Continues figures, and I noticed something. So first, The Saga Continues line is Irwin's re-release of Bandai's Super Battle Collection line (as well as a few other AB line toys). I remember the packaging well from when I was a kid. I noticed the Saga Continue line in packaging I hadn't seen before, blue and red packing with Gohan's silhouette, released by Bandai. I don't ever recall seeing this release. Is this new? I notice it says "collectors edition" on the side. Here's an example.

Irwin Saga Continues

VS

Bandai's Saga Continues

So what's the deal? When did Bandai re release these figures? Is it recent to pick up on the nostalgia market?

Edit: Here's the blue packaging I referenced

Edit: Mattel also released the SBC figures?

Edit: For reference, the original Super Battle Collection

One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Saga Continues Toy Line

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I have four figures from the original 1996 release of Bandai's "Super Battle Collection" run over here. Some of them were blue, some were red. They weren't two separate releases or later re-releases; it's just that some characters came in one color (Goku was red, for example), while others were in another color (Freeza with two "ee"-s was also blue).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I have four figures from the original 1996 release of Bandai's "Super Battle Collection" run over here. Some of them were blue, some were red. They weren't two separate releases or later re-releases; it's just that some characters came in one color (Goku was red, for example), while others were in another color (Freeza with two "ee"-s was also blue).
Interesting, you might actually have the answer to my question. Where is "over here"? In the states, more specifically, the Boston area, I only ever saw the Irwin green and purple box as shown in the first picture in my original post. I never saw these blue and red boxes, and certainly not the green Mattel release.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:50 pm

I think I was visiting family in Virginia at the time when I bought them. Might have been 1997 by that point.

Again, this was while the show was still in syndication from 1996-1998. Irwin didn't come on the scene until FUNimation brought things in-house in 1998. A post I wrote in 2000 says for that previous year or so, Irwin was doing SBC and AB molds.

EDIT: OK, I definitely bought them in 1997, because I also bought a Cloud Strife figure at the same time (and... well, he didn't exist yet really in 1996, and I certainly wouldn't have bought him without already playing the game yet). Anyway, I'm also thinking that maybe the red ones came first and the blue ones were a second line in the same rollout? 'Cuz SSJ Vegeta and Freeza certainly weren't going to come out first. I'll have to dig mine out of whatever hole they're in and see.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think I was visiting family in Virginia at the time when I bought them. Might have been 1997 by that point.

Again, this was while the show was still in syndication from 1996-1998. Irwin didn't come on the scene until FUNimation brought things in-house in 1998. A post I wrote in 2000 says for that previous year or so, Irwin was doing SBC and AB molds.

EDIT: OK, I definitely bought them in 1997, because I also bought a Cloud Strife figure at the same time (and... well, he didn't exist yet really in 1996, and I certainly wouldn't have bought him without already playing the game yet). Anyway, I'm also thinking that maybe the red ones came first and the blue ones were a second line in the same rollout? 'Cuz SSJ Vegeta and Freeza certainly weren't going to come out first. I'll have to dig mine out of whatever hole they're in and see.
That's super interesting. So the Bandai release preceded Irwin's? I was starting to think it was a European or Canadian release. My initial thought was that they were repros up until I saw the Bandai logo.
-Memetic Lexicon

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm

You guys were lucky. Back in my country Venezuela we got the bootleg version of those figures. A 5-pack most of the time. I wanted Piccolo so bad. I remember my mom going to the Flea Market after work to get it (That's the only place you could get it). Even today she still recalls all the struggle she had to go through to get that Piccolo action figure. It only came in a 5-pack.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:37 pm

successoroffate wrote:You guys were lucky. Back in my country Venezuela we got the bootleg version of those figures. A 5-pack most of the time. I wanted Piccolo so bad. I remember my mom going to the Flea Market after work to get it (That's the only place you could get it). Even today she still recalls all the struggle she had to go through to get that Piccolo action figure. It only came in a 5-pack.
I actually remember seeing Dragon Ball bootleg figures everywhere, and I'm pretty sure they were all from Latin American countries. Back the, since there was a sparse number of episodes released, I always wondered if the liberties taken by the booleggers (fake example: Goku in a white gi with green SSJ hair) was something we'd eventually see in later episodes. Do you still live in Venezuela? Seems like things are rough there at the moment. I hope all is well
-Memetic Lexicon

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:40 pm

ecrockedboston wrote:
successoroffate wrote:You guys were lucky. Back in my country Venezuela we got the bootleg version of those figures. A 5-pack most of the time. I wanted Piccolo so bad. I remember my mom going to the Flea Market after work to get it (That's the only place you could get it). Even today she still recalls all the struggle she had to go through to get that Piccolo action figure. It only came in a 5-pack.
I actually remember seeing Dragon Ball bootleg figures everywhere, and I'm pretty sure they were all from Latin American countries. Back the, since there was a sparse number of episodes released, I always wondered if the liberties taken by the booleggers (fake example: Goku in a white gi with green SSJ hair) was something we'd eventually see in later episodes. Do you still live in Venezuela? Seems like things are rough there at the moment. I hope all is well
And we got them from China!
Thank you for asking, I moved to Florida 5 years ago because of the situation over there.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm

successoroffate wrote:
ecrockedboston wrote:
And we got them from China!
Thank you for asking, I moved to Florida 5 years ago because of the situation over there.
I'm glad to hear it! I was reading that bakers have been arrested recently for the crime of using flour in their brownies. Glad to have you here in the states.
-Memetic Lexicon