Pre-Battle of Gods, was it always implied that the Z-fighters were God-tier?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Pre-Battle of Gods, was it always implied that the Z-fighters were God-tier?

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 pm

The idea of a God of Destruction is something that I really like. In general, it's good to see the supernatural side of Dragon Ball get an expansion.

However, with so many power ups and transformations, I always got the impression that Goku, Vegeta & Co. were, in their own way, "gods" among mortals early on in Dragon Ball Z.

For me, a Super Saiyan was, in a sense, a Saiyan God.

I'm curious to know if, in official Japanese advertising or in various fanbases before the Goku vs. Beerus movie, the main characters were viewed as a group of ordinary people who work their way up to a level of god-hood.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Pre-Battle of Gods, was it always implied that the Z-fighters were God-tier?

Post by Desassina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 am

Their only reference of a God had already been surpassed, should we count Kami and Kaioshin as the ones, so they set themselves apart without thinking too much. There's only so much fuss about the higher Gods - Beerus and Zeno - now, because Goku hasn't surpassed them casually like he did before, but it's this series' (DB Super) long running theme, so expect everything to be compared to Godhood now, when they could simply reach that level without noticing that they were Gods. I know that it would be impossible in their lifetime, but you get the idea... They're still Super Saiyans and advertised as such.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Pre-Battle of Gods, was it always implied that the Z-fighters were God-tier?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah, Goku was god-tier when he literally trained with God (well, his attendant) before the 23rd Budokai.

And then again when he trained with the Lord of Worlds (the Northern Kaio) during the Saiyan arc.

And then again when Kaioshin couldn't believe what he was seeing during the 25th Budokai onward.

Nothing that's happening now is anything different from what's come before; it's just a new (expanded) hierarchy of gods with a continued escalation of strength.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes, they were gods in terms of strength. They were even stronger than Supreme Kai and the Kaioshins, so they could certainly be considered god tier.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 pm

It interesting that for the new Dragon Ball series, I've been interpreting the addition of a new type of deity (God of Destruction) as Toei's way of saying, "THIS TIME THEY'RE REALLY REALLY FIGHTING GODS!!! REALLY!"
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6