Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 am

Not sure if this topic exist yet but since the English dub seems to have 20 voice actors for every character how do you rank them

Goku:
Ian Corlett
Kai/remastered era Sean Schemmel
Peter Kelamis
Sean Schemmel in the original Toonami broadcast

Piccolo
Kai/remastered era Chris Sabat
Scott Mcneil
Toonami Broadcast era Chris Sabat

Vegeta
Brian Drummond screaming
Kai/Remastered era Chris Sabat
Brian Drummond
Android saga and beyond Chris Sabat
A cat dying
Original season 3 broadcast Chris Sabat

Gohan:
Saffron Henderson
Colleen
Getting repeatedly punched in the throat
Stephanie

Freeza:
Chris Ayres
Pauline Newstone
A homeless person asking me for a cigarette
Linda Young

Krillin:
Terry Klassen
Sonny Strait

Bulma:
Monica Rial
Lalainia
Tiffany Vollmer

Never watched the Ocean/Westwood dub or Bluewater dub outside of some clips and voice comprison videos so I didnt include those.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:43 am

The only one I'm 100% on is Scott McNeil as Majin Buu.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:22 pm

It's quite clear from this post that you love the Ocean dub and despise the original FUNimation dub, which is something I have to respectfully disagree with.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 pm

floofychan333 wrote:It's quite clear from this post that you love the Ocean dub and despise the original FUNimation dub, which is something I have to respectfully disagree with.
Well, the real original FUNi dub is the Ocean dub. Well, at least the first two arcs of it. The only part that the OP seems to despise is the parts of it with the in house guys. But I know whatcha mean.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm

^ With the exception of Ian Corlett as Goku, Safferon as Gohan, and Terry as Krillin (who I'm not crazy over) all my top picks were the Funi cast in the Kai era and when in Sabat's case when he re- recorded his dialog for s3

I genuinely found the Funi cast during the broadcast era of Toonami to be awful because THEY were. Voice actors who never voice act before being told to imitate the Ocean cast.

I just slightly prefer Ian in the 30 or so episoses he did for the Saban era over Sean at his best. But the VAST improvements Sean Schemmel made from season 3 to Kai can't be understated.

Once Sabat mastered his Vegeta voice I did prefer him over Drummond but Drummond is a better Drummond than Sabat.'Fact.

Sonny sounds waaay to much like Jimbo from South Park to me and I don't even like Terry that much.

Safferon isn't even that amazing she just succeed where the other two actresses fail miserably and makes Gohan sound like a little boy.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am

Goku: Sean Schemmel>Ian Corlett>Saban/Pioneer-era Kelamis>Kirby Morrow>>Westwood-era Kelamis.

Vegeta: Overall Sabat is the best, but Drummond nailed crazy Vegeta before he was forced to tone it down for story reasons.

Kid Gohan: Stephanie Nadolny>Saffron Henderson>Colleen Clinckenbeard>Jillian Michaels.

Piccolo: For me this is kind of a tossup. McNeil was excellent early on and Sabat went from decent to great.

Krillin: Sonny Strait>Terry Klassen overall. Klassen was great as Krillin in the Saban/Pioneer dubs but sucked in the Westwood dub.

Adult Gohan: Kyle Hebert>Brad Swaile. Both were good, but overall Hebert had better delivery and was better at Gohan's confident side.

Bulma: Lalainia Lindbjerg>Monica Rial>Tiffany Volmer>First Westwood dub actress>Replacement Westwood actress. I think Volmer got much better over time.

Frieza: This is kind of tough for me to rank. Chris Ayres has always been really good but I enjoy him more in Resurrection F and the videogames when his dialogue isn't so over the top and wordy. I'll always enjoy Linda Young's Frieza, and even Pauline Newstone's had a certain charm to it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 am

Dameon Clarke
Brian Drummond
Sonny Strait
Justin Cook

The rest

*HUMONGOUS GAP*

Tiffany Vollmer

I'm being generous with Vollmer.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am

I'm including TFS voices in here because they're all great. I'm also including Blue Water's voices.
I've left Colleen Clinkenbeard out of the running for Kid Goku because I haven't heard her do much Kid Goku at all.

Goku:
MasakoX (TFS)
Peter Kelamis (Ocean)
Sean Schemmel (Kai era FUNi)
Ian Corlett (Ocean)
Sean Schemmel (Toonami era FUNi)
Jeremiah Yurk (Blue Water)

Kid Goku:
Zoe Slusar (Blue Water)
Stephanie Nadolny (FUNi)
Saffron Henderson (Ocean)
Celi Delgadillo (FUNi circa 1995)

Vegeta:
Brian Drummond (Ocean)
Chris Sabat (Kai era FUNi)
Lanipator (TFS)
Chris Sabat (Toonami era FUNi)
Roger Rhodes (Blue Water)

Piccolo:
Scott McNeil (Ocean)
Chris Sabat (Kai era FUNi)
Lanipator (TFS)
Chris Sabat (Toonami era FUNi)
Ethan Cole (Blue Water)

Kid Gohan:
Colleen Clinkenbeard (Kai era FUNi)
MasakoX (TFS)
Saffron Henderson (Ocean)
Jillian Michaels (Ocean)
Stephanie Nadolny (FUNi)

Master Roshi:
Mike McFarland (FUNi)
Ian Corlett (Ocean)
Don Brown (Ocean)
Lanipator (TFS)
Dean Galloway (Blue Water)
Michael Donovan (Ocean)
Peter Kelamis (Ocean)
MasakoX (TFS)
Terry Klassen (Ocean)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 am

TFS doesn't count and their voices are awful. It's a bad fandub (is there any other kind)

Goku - Schemmel (who was a welcome change from Kelamis right off the bat) > Corlette > Morrow >>>>>>> Kelamis
Vegeta - Sabat (Kai) > Drummond >> Sabat (DBZ: redub) > Sabat (DBZ)
Young Goku - Henderson > Clinkenbeard >> Delgado >>>>> Nadolny
Freeza - Ayres >>> Newstone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Young
Piccolo - McNeil > Sabat, but not by much in Kai.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

These are my rankings in order
Goku: Peter Kelamis, Kai Schemmel, Ian Corlett, Z dub Schemmel, Kirby Morrow
Vegeta: Ryo Horikawa, Brian Drummond, Kai Sabat,
Z dub Sabat
Piccolo: Toshio Furukawa, Scott McNeil, Kai Sabat
Gohan: Henderson, Clinkenbeard, Nadolny, Jillian Michaels
ABED wrote:TFS doesn't count and their voices are awful. It's a bad fandub (is there any other kind)
Fandub or not, they are English dub voice actors. They get to be included. This thread is about DB English voices in general. They count. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean that they don't count.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:41 pm

ABED wrote:TFS doesn't count
Agreed they're a PARODY

and their voices are awful.
No, they're not. But their voices are intentionally done in a way to emphasize that its a parody
It's a bad fandub
You know they're a parody right?
(is there any other kind)

Why yes because there are fandubs, parody or not, that actually sound genuinely awful because the actors can't voice act and/or their audio equipment is shit.

And while TFS aren't professionals, by any means, the voices sound quite good for a gag dub and the audio doesn't sound like they jammed the microphones down their throats.

They sound much bettet than the actual 1999 Z dub at any rate but I wouldn't include them brcause they're not a professional production

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Fandub or not, they are English dub voice actors. They get to be included. This thread is about DB English voices in general. They count. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean that they don't count.
They aren't English dub actors. THey are friends that got together to put a show on the net. They do not count, otherwise count every single fandub ever. You have Ocean dub actors, FUNimation actors, and a bunch of guys on the internet on the same list. One of these things is not like the other. Please stop giving them legitimacy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:19 pm

ABED wrote: They aren't English dub actors. THey are friends that got together to put a show on the net. They do not count, otherwise count every single fandub ever. You have Ocean dub actors, FUNimation actors, and a bunch of guys on the internet on the same list. One of these things is not like the other. Please stop giving them legitimacy.
Nah, they're still English dub actors. They dubbed and acted out something in English, which makes them English dub actors. Official or nah, that's what they are and they count in this topic. I'll give em all the legitimacy that I feel they deserve.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote: They aren't English dub actors. THey are friends that got together to put a show on the net. They do not count, otherwise count every single fandub ever. You have Ocean dub actors, FUNimation actors, and a bunch of guys on the internet on the same list. One of these things is not like the other. Please stop giving them legitimacy.
Nah, they're still English dub actors. They dubbed and acted out something in English, which makes them English dub actors. Official or nah, that's what they are and they count in this topic. I'll give em all the legitimacy that I feel they deserve.
They are terrible for one and two, they aren't official and don't count. Why not include any other fandubs? What makes them so damn special to you guys that you include them in a list of actors who made their livings voicing DB? They don't deserve legitimacy because it's not a legit dub. It's a fandub, and a parody to boot.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:24 pm

How are they terrible? All the voices fit the version of the characters they're playing and they deliver their lines just fine.

Compare this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCD4PDz4JNQ

to this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8yD_sIm-i3k

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm

ABED wrote: They are terrible for one and two, they aren't official and don't count. Why not include any other fandubs? What makes them so damn special to you guys that you include them in a list of actors who made their livings voicing DB? They don't deserve legitimacy because it's not a legit dub. It's a fandub, and a parody to boot.
Them being terrible is your opinion and what you think. It isn't factual. So stop stating it like it is. And this thread isn't restricted to official actors, as it says "English dub actors". Not " Official English dub actors", just "English dub actors".

And maybe some people don't wanna list other fandub actors because they don't want to. TFS is what a lot of people like, so that's what they wanna list. They're special to people because some like them and prefer their voices, official or not.

And they seem legit enough. Fandub, parody, terrible, unofficial, whatever you wanna label em, they're English dub actors. And people are gonna list them because they like em.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Goku: Schemmel > Kelamis > MasakoX > Corlett > Morrow

Vegeta: Sabat > Drummond > Lanipator

Piccolo: Sabat > McNeil =>=Lanipator

Kid Gohan: Henderson > Clinkenbeard > MasakoX > Nadolny

Adult Gohan: Kyle Hebert > Brad Swaile

Freeza: Ayres > Newstone > Young
Bansho64 wrote:Piccolo: Toshio Furukawa, Scott McNeil, Kai Sabat
Umm... what? :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Them being terrible is your opinion and what you think. It isn't factual. So stop stating it like it is.
I won't because it's true. They are objectively god awful and don't sound remotely real or natural.

And it's a parody, so it doesn't count as a dub of Dragon Ball.

People like 'em. My dad was right, there's no accounting for taste.
They're special
They're the opposite.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:Piccolo: Toshio Furukawa, Scott McNeil, Kai Sabat
Umm... what? :lol:
Crap, I was thinking about all the Vegeta's and Piccolos when wrote their original voices down.
ABED wrote:I won't because it's true. They are objectively god awful and don't sound remotely real or natural.

And it's a parody, so it doesn't count as a dub of Dragon Ball.

People like 'em. My dad was right, there's no accounting for taste.

They're the opposite.
Whatever, you call it whatever you like.

Dubbing is putting voices over video. So yes, it is a dub.

You completely ignored the second part of what I said. I said that they're special to people. And, again, those are your thoughts. You keep stating these things like their facts you'd hear every day, but they're not.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 pm

For the record I hate putting parody voices with a serious dub but if we're going to include the TFS cast

MasakoX is my favorite English Goku. And I'd put his Gohan above Stephanie for sure.

I'd put Lanipator Vegeta about on par with Drummond but above early Sabat. Likewise above Sabat's early broadcast Piccolo but below Mcneil and Kai era Sabat's Piccolo. And his Krillin is my favorite.

And LK Freeza is on par with Ayres if slightly below

And Megami33's Bulma is definitely way more tolerable than Vollmer