Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by keyz05 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:35 am

Has anyone noticed any retcons so far in either both Z and Super? I'm really curious to find out if there were any the series.

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 am

I would consider Goku turning into an alien to be a pretty big retcon.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 am

Potara lasting an hour. Anything else I think are simple inconsistencies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 am

Gog wrote:I would consider Goku turning into an alien to be a pretty big retcon.
More of a reveal than a retcon.

Biggest retcon is Goku being able to turn Super Saiyan 3 after fighting Vegeta at his maximum.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 am

ABED wrote:
Gog wrote:I would consider Goku turning into an alien to be a pretty big retcon.

Biggest retcon is Goku being able to turn Super Saiyan 3 after fighting Vegeta at his maximum.
It was a retcon, it was something never stated or implied once in the entirety of the series. But it's a good retcon as it just fits in so well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 am

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:

It was a retcon, it was something never stated or implied once in the entirety of the series. But it's a good retcon as it just fits in so well.
That's how a lot of reveals work. A retcon is something like there being a previous Black Canary and acting like that had always been the case. Nevermind, I just thought of Muten Roshi saying he knew Goku was an alien. That's the bigger retcon, not necessarily the reveal that Goku is an alien. That in and of itself wouldn't be a retcon.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 am

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:

Isn't a retcon when you change/rewrite something that's already been established with something different? Goku being an alien was a reveal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am

Isn't a retcon when you change/rewrite something that's already been established with something different? Goku being an alien was a reveal.
I know I'm flip flopping here, but the retcon in this case is Muten Roshi knowing Goku is an alien, otherwise I would agree with you

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:20 am

ABED wrote:
I know I'm flip flopping here, but the retcon in this case is Muten Roshi knowing Goku is an alien, otherwise I would agree with you
He didn't know he was an alien, he said that Gohan found him in the woods, that's all

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 am

mute_proxy wrote:Potara lasting an hour. Anything else I think are simple inconsistencies.
I never believed the bad air excuse from Goku, but I guess that we were told by the old Kaioshin that it would be permanent, so it counts as a retcon. Here's a few others:
- Majin Boo Pure as the strongest at the end of his saga by virtue of DB Super calling Goku the strongest as well.
- Gohan's power being unlocked and allowing him to go Super Saiyan on top of it when he didn't against Bootenks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 am

Desassina wrote: - Gohan's power being unlocked and allowing him to go Super Saiyan on top of it when he didn't against Bootenks.
If you mean the recent episodes, he's not yet at his peak there.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:26 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Desassina wrote: - Gohan's power being unlocked and allowing him to go Super Saiyan on top of it when he didn't against Bootenks.
Is it inferred or were we told that? I took a step back with the episodes to watch them in my country's dub, so I'm not following the latest, and I appreciate it.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 am

Goku being an alien was not a retcon because before Saiyan saga, his origins were a mystery. HIs revealed alien origin was filling a blank and did not contradict anything established previously.
The biggest retcon of them all would probably be the entire existence of Super. EoZ had Bulma say she hasn't seen Goku in 5 years and it's implied the 10 year gap was pretty uneventful.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 am

Desassina wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Is it inferred or were we told that? I took a step back with the episodes to watch them in my country's dub, so I'm not following the latest, and I appreciate it.
He got weaker because of peace times and family stuff between Battle of Gods and Ressurection F, he said "I think I can still go Super Saiyan" meaning he's weak, then he tried getting back on track later, and now in the Universal Tournament thing he's a lot stronger, but says he still has quite a bit to improve.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 am

mute_proxy wrote:
ABED wrote:
He didn't know he was an alien, he said that Gohan found him in the woods, that's all
I don't recall the dialog, but the images of the spaceship implies that he knows about the ship. Maybe that's just the anime.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 am

In the RRA arc the android that Goku fought at muscle tower scanned him and it said he was an alien. It was a joke of course but it worked out in the end.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 am

This is by far the biggest and literally drives the entire Dragonball franchise from that point forward. I honestly can't think of anything close to this in any media that had such a profound impact on future stories.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Does the Garlic Jr saga in DBZ count as a retcon? It would suggest the movie is in continuity with the series thus retconning the whole "Krillin meeting Gohan for the first time in episode 2" and the 5 year reunion at Roshi's.

Freeza destroying the planet Vegeta vs The Kami of planet Vegeta directing meteors to destroy it

The legendary super saiyan only appears once every thousand years vs You get to a Super Saiyan! You get to be a Super Saiyan! And you! And you! Also Super Saiyan 2,3, Super Saiyan God!

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Does the Garlic Jr saga in DBZ count as a retcon?
If you consider filler to be in the same continuity as non-filler then there's plenty of retcon opportunities. For example, the filler episode where Gohan is transformed into a giant ape by Goku's space capsule. Piccolo destroys the space capsule in the episode. Later, Dr. Briefs says that he finds Goku's capsule, intact. So Dr. Briefs' statement would be a retcon if you were following the filler as the story.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Beerus ordering Freeza to destroy planet Vegeta.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: