Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 am

The title suggests it all.
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Dragon ball GT Canon?

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 am

NO -_-"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

Yes and no.

GT is both canon and non-canon.

Super is also both canon and non-canon.

Likewise, the various movies and specials are all both canon and non-canon.

Even the original manga is both canon and non-canon.

Dragon Ball does not have an official, authoritatively defined central canon.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am

Kaboom wrote:Yes and no.

GT is both canon and non-canon.

Super is also both canon and non-canon.

Likewise, the various movies and specials are all both canon and non-canon.

Even the original manga is both canon and non-canon.

Dragon Ball does not have an official, authoritatively defined central canon.
There is always a "Canon" and "Non-Canon"

Dragon>Dragon Ball Z>Dragon ball Super (Akira/Toei Pure Canon)
GT,Movies,Filler,Games and such aren't in anyway close to anything manga/anime timeline related. (Non-Canon only.)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am

Canon doesn't need to be explicitly stated. There is a canon for DB. I have NO idea where that idea comes from.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:35 am

Dragon Ball GT was an official continuation of the original story created by the same team at Toei Animation, with early character design involvement from Akira Toriyama, which aired on television between 1996 and 1997. Its in-universe story began five years after the original manga/TV series ended.

Dragon Ball Online was an official continuation of the original story first made for the Korean market (later expanding to several other Asian territories) with significant character design and story supervision involvement by Akira Toriyama. Its background materials covered a lot of the same in-univere timespan that Dragon Ball GT would have, but had entirely separate events taking place during that time.

Dragon Ball Super is the latest official expansion of the franchise, and takes place during a ten-year gap in the original manga/TV series (between the defeat of Boo and the 28th Budokai). While it is still within that timespan and has not yet gone beyond the end of the series the same way Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Online have, its own internal events do not reconcile with or allow many (most) of the events of either of those two prior continuations to "happen" within its own universe.

That is the answer to your question.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 am

VegettoEX wrote:Dragon Ball GT was an official continuation of the original story created by the same team at Toei Animation, with early character design involvement from Akira Toriyama, which aired on television between 1996 and 1997. Its in-universe story began five years after the original manga/TV series ended.

Dragon Ball Online was an official continuation of the original story first made for the Korean market (later expanding to several other Asian territories) with significant character design and story supervision involvement by Akira Toriyama. Its background materials covered a lot of the same in-univere timespan that Dragon Ball GT would have, but had entirely separate events taking place during that time.

Dragon Ball Super is the latest official expansion of the franchise, and takes place during a ten-year gap in the original manga/TV series (between the defeat of Boo and the 28th Budokai). While it is still within that timespan and has not yet gone beyond the end of the series the same way Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Online have, its own internal events do not reconcile with or allow many (most) of the events of either of those two prior continuations to "happen" within its own universe.

GT is under it's own continuity for toei but not canon continuity to Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super.

but I don't see how character design means its canon.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am

BrolyLSSJ wrote:but I don't see how character design means its canon.
I didn't say anything about character designs equating canonicity.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 am

GT certainly does line up a lot better with the End of Z IMO. There's just so much stuff in Super that doesn't make sense. GT has it's own flaws, but I could easily see where it falls timeline wise.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 am

VegettoEX wrote:Dragon Ball GT was an official continuation of the original story created by the same team at Toei Animation, with early character design involvement from Akira Toriyama, which aired on television between 1996 and 1997. Its in-universe story began five years after the original manga/TV series ended.

So I will add to this. GT starts in the age 789 A.D. The events of it conclude in approximately 1 year. Goku then is called to Shenron for a period of approximately 100 years, with Goku supposedly returning in the year 889/890 A.D. The events of Dragon Ball Online appear to occur in the year 1000 A.D. (Says so on its website), So there is no real overlap between the events of DBO and GT, and there is even an addition 100 year gap between the two. Super also has yet to overlap the events of either GT or DBO, thus making it possible (through any combination of DB wishes/retconts to fit all timelines into a single continuity) Beyond this DBO also had elements which would incorporated into Xenoverse, further the format of DB Heroes as an in-universe game and Dragonball minus serving as a prequel make it so that the events could logically follow in a chronological order as follows, but with some degree of plot holes.

DB Minus > DB > DBZ > Super > GT> Xenoverse > Heroes > DBO

So in part due to all the timeline shenanigans, the gaps in between series, and the ability of several sets of dragon balls which can basically grant any wish, it would theoretically be possible to make them all fit in a single continuity with some work. Whether its worth the trouble or not is another matter entirely. The short answer is, its possible because the time periods do not overlap as stated above, but there is no official canon.
THE STORY OF DBOG
The events of Dragon Ball Online take place in the age 1000 (216 years after the Buu saga.) with the role of villain going to a group headed by Mira. Mira originates from the Demon Realm and is attempting to invade the Earth in the age 2000, with the help of Frieza's army and the Red Ribbon Army, but currently has his eyes set on the past by way of time travel. The purpose for him wanting to go back in time is so that he can attempt to obtain Goku's DNA which he will then use to strengthen himself for when he invades the Earth in the future. Currently, all known henchmen of the Dark Eye have been under the effect of mind control. Mind controlled victims are characterized by a green gem marked with an "X" that rests in their forehead (in some cases it may be in their chest or could also be a mask instead of a gem).
The player takes the role of a character from an unknown time period who is sucked through a crack in time caused by Mira's Army. Eventually, the player makes their way to the age 1000 (with the help of the Time Patrol Capsule and Trunks) and throughout the game the player will be able to travel through different time periods to alter the past and fix the present.
It should also be noted that all of the events that the player witnesses in the Age 1000 currently only take place on the planet Earth. Both the Majin and Namekian race start their journeys, just like the Humans, on Earth. The new planet Namek was destroyed by Mira in the age 853 and sections of the Earth have since been transformed to resemble the planet Namek.
Timeline placement of Xenoverse
The events taking place in Toki Toki City in Xenoverse take place in Age 850. This is 60 years after the conclusion of Dragon Ball GT (Age 790), 39 years before Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi's Hero Mode and Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, and 150 years before Dragon Ball Online.
Due to time travel, most of the story happens during the events of Dragon Ball Z, from the arrival of Raditz (Age 761), to Beerus' visit to Earth (Age 778). The first part of the games' Demon God Demigra Saga takes place shortly after Beerus' visit (Age 778) and finishes in Toki Toki City (Age 850).There is also Future Trunks' timeline, in Age 783 and Age 785.
The Legendary Super Saiyan Saga takes place in several eras from the Genocide of the Saiyans (Age 737), Broly's appearance on Earth (Age 774), and even during SSJ Goku's epic battle with Frieza on Dying Planet Namek Age 762, and finally ending on Earth after Porunga transported everyone save for Goku and Frieza.
In the GT DLC, the story covers the end of the Baby Saga (Age 789), the Super 17 Saga (Age 790) and also the Shadow Dragon Saga (Age 790).
Characters
Last edited by TheMikado on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 am

I'll use the same example that I think answers this question:
"GT is to Dragon Ball, what Fear The Walking Dead is to the Walking Dead."

Or:
If you like and enjoy GT, why should you care if it's canon or not? If you think it's canon then so be it. That's exactly what I do.

The only thing that would probably destroy any "GT is canon" possibilities is to have Super's potential ending completely butchering "End of Z" and living no connections with the beginning of GT. However, even if the butchering happens, I would still use The Walking Dead example.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:38 am

successoroffate wrote:I'll use the same example that I think answers this question:

Or:
If you like and enjoy GT, why should you care if it's canon or not? If you think it's canon then so be it. That's exactly what I do.

The only thing that would probably destroy any "GT is canon" possibilities is to have Super's potential ending completely butchering "End of Z" and living no connections with the beginning of GT. However, even if the butchering happens, I would still use The Walking Dead example.
it did butcher GT connection.....ROF?.....Beerus?....only connection is Pan/Bulla

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 am

BrolyLSSJ wrote:
successoroffate wrote:I'll use the same example that I think answers this question:

Or:

it did butcher GT connection.....ROF?.....Beerus?....only connection is Pan/Bulla
I suggest waiting until the series ends to see what happens and what remains intact for future series. Again if you look at my timeline above, inserting things into Super would potentially effect all the other series which could technically coexist. "canon" or not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:48 am

In the words of Rick Sanchez, "The answer is don't think about it."

Seriously, canon in Dragon Ball has always been sketchy at best. The best thing to do is to just enjoy each part of Dragon Ball for what it is, and not really bother thinking about canon.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't think Dragon Ball can have one canon so I split it up into multiple canons.

Canon A : The original 520 chapters as they're presented in the Kanzenban volumes.

Canon B : The Original 520 chapters as they're presented in the Kanzenban volumes, The Jaco volume, The 2008 OVA, The BOG movie, The RF movie and Super's manga starting from the Champa arc.

Canon C : The Dragon Ball anime (minus episodes 30-33/79-83/127-132/149-153), The Dragon Ball Kai anime, The international Kai Buu arc (minus episodes 101&165), The Bardock and Trunks TV specials & The Dragon Ball super anime.

Canon D : The Dragon Ball anime, The Dragon Ball Z anime, The original 13 Z movies, The Bardock and Trunks TV specials & The Dragon Ball GT anime and TV special.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:The title suggests it all.

It's canon if you want it to be since there is no official cannon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm

DHM211 wrote:It's canon if you want it to be since there is no official cannon.
I think it depends on who's the writer. Toriyama as far as I know just follows the stories he wrote so the canon as of now would be those.

Whenever he's done we'll get a new writer who might like some of the stories that weren't written by Toriyama so what's canon will change.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm

sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:It's canon if you want it to be since there is no official cannon.
I think it depends on who's the writer. Toriyama as far as I know just follows the stories he wrote so the canon as of now would be those.

Whenever he's done we'll get a new writer who might like some of the stories that weren't written by Toriyama so what's canon will change.
Good point.
sintzu wrote:I don't think Dragon Ball can have one canon so I split it up into multiple canons.

Canon A : The original 520 chapters as they're presented in the Kanzenban volumes.

Canon B : The Original 520 chapters as they're presented in the Kanzenban volumes, The Jaco volume, The 2008 OVA, The BOG movie, The RF movie and Super's manga starting from the Champa arc.

Canon C : The Dragon Ball anime (minus episodes 30-33/79-83/127-132/149-153), The Dragon Ball Kai anime, The international Kai Buu arc (minus episodes 101&165), The Bardock and Trunks TV specials & The Dragon Ball super anime.

Canon D : The Dragon Ball anime, The Dragon Ball Z anime, The original 13 Z movies, The Bardock and Trunks TV specials & The Dragon Ball GT anime and TV special.
For me the best continuity would be a combination of cannon B and C which would go like: The Dragon Ball anime, The Dragon Ball Kai anime, The international Kai Buu arc, The Bardock and Trunks TV specials, The Jaco volume, The BOG movie, The RF movie & The Dragon Ball super anime starting with the U6 arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

DHM211 wrote:For me the best continuity would be a combination of cannon B and C which would go like: The Dragon Ball anime, The Dragon Ball Kai anime, The international Kai Buu arc, The Bardock and Trunks TV specials, The Jaco volume, The BOG movie, The RF movie & The Dragon Ball super anime starting with the U6 arc.
Regarding the new material, there are things that I like about the anime, manga and movies so I'd like a 4th version when everything is over that takes the best of all 3 and puts them into one. I doubt that'll happen so that version will probably stay in my head.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:47 pm

sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:For me the best continuity would be a combination of cannon B and C which would go like: The Dragon Ball anime, The Dragon Ball Kai anime, The international Kai Buu arc, The Bardock and Trunks TV specials, The Jaco volume, The BOG movie, The RF movie & The Dragon Ball super anime starting with the U6 arc.
Regarding the new material, there are things that I like about the anime, manga and movies so I'd like a 4th version when everything is over that takes the best of all 3 and puts them into one. I doubt that'll happen so that version will probably stay in my head.
I get ya. I actually have a Battle of Gods cut where I added in a few things from Super. I would really like to redo the Future Trunks arc tho. There are so many thing I want to take out of the manga and combine with the anime to get the "perfect" version.