Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 pm

I think adaptations can have their own canon. There's nothing inherent in the concept that any Intellectual property can only have a single canon. The original Jason Bourne novels are VERY different from the movies, but I think both versions have their own canon just like I think the manga and the anime of DB can have their own.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 pm

ABED wrote: Fair enough and it's why terms like "head canon" bug me.
It's certainly much easier to just say headcanon or something like that than say "what I believe would be considered canon, or what I prefer to be canon", so, whatever.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

ABED wrote:I think adaptations can have their own canon. There's nothing inherent in the concept that any Intellectual property can only have a single canon. The original Jason Bourne novels are VERY different from the movies, but I think both versions have their own canon just like I think the manga and the anime of DB can have their own.
Would you say the 2 movies and Toyotarou's manga starting from the Champa arc are canon to Toriyama's manga while the Super anime is canon to DB & Z ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 pm

rereboy wrote:
It's certainly much easier to just say headcanon or something like that than say "what I believe would be considered canon, or what I prefer to be canon", so, whatever.
I just go with "in my imagination" or "I imagine". It's much clearer and doesn't confuse the concept.
Would you say the 2 movies and Toyotarou's manga starting from the Champa arc are canon to Toriyama's manga while the Super anime is canon to DB & Z ?
That's not for me to say. They could. All I know is that for something to be canon, it has to be official. It can change on a whim and it could change a lot or not at all.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm

ABED wrote:
rereboy wrote:
I just go with "in my imagination" or "I imagine". It's much clearer and doesn't confuse the concept.
That's not for me to say. They could. All I know is that for something to be canon, it has to be official. It can change on a whim and it could change a lot or not at all.
At the end of the day it's just a personal stylistic choice of how we choose to speak. Any term can be confusing for people who aren't familiar with it or are mistaken about what it, and, even if it's confusing for some, I don't see why people should refrain from using words or terms that they want to use and that other people might have trouble with since, if everyone did that, then no one would use any complex, unusual, varied or similar words/terms (like, for example, "borborygmus"), or would be criticized simply for trying to use any any complex, unusual, varied or similar words/terms, so that to me is a non-issue.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 pm

rereboy wrote:
ABED wrote:
rereboy wrote:
At the end of the day it's just a personal stylistic choice of how we choose to speak. Any term can be confusing for people who aren't familiar with it or are mistaken about what it, and, even if it's confusing for some, I don't see why people should refrain from using words or terms that they want to use and that other people might have trouble with since, if everyone did that, then no one would use any complex, unusual, varied or similar words/terms (like, for example, "borborygmus"), or would be criticized simply for trying to use any any complex, unusual, varied or similar words/terms, so that to me is a non-issue.
All good points, but in my mind, headcanon is needlessly confusing. People have enough trouble getting canon, then to put two opposing concepts together under one definition when there's already servicable enough shorthand is something I find irrational. I wish I know where it came from. I guess it amounts to there being a differnce between a term being confusing and people being confused by a term. For instance, people misuse nonplussed a lot, even though it only means one thing, but that's different from someone being confused by a term that lumps two opposing concepts together.

Think about head canon
Canon - officially declared continuity
Head - personal preference or imagination
So how can a person's personal preference or what's in their imagination be a version of the officially declared continuity?

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 pm

I like to think so lol

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:58 am

I really don't understand why people consider GT to be canon, had there be any doubts they should all be gone since BoG.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I really don't understand why people consider GT to be canon, had there be any doubts they should all be gone since BoG.
In Xenoverse 2 they have it as an alternate timeline so although it's not set in the same timeline as Super, its still connected to it through an alternate one where Beerus never went to earth. Like Trunks' timeline.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 am

What is 'Xenoverse 2' I don't know of such thing lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 pm

sintzu wrote:In Xenoverse 2 they have it as an alternate timeline so although it's not set in the same timeline as Super, its still connected to it through an alternate one where Beerus never went to earth. Like Trunks' timeline.
That is not the same as saying Dragon Ball GT is canon though. There is nothing implying GT never happened in-universe even it being non-canon, the same goes to the movies, outright stated to take place in a different dimension. There's no connection like you said.
PsionicWarrior wrote:What is 'Xenoverse 2' I don't know of such thing lol
One of the best Dragon Ball games out there. :)

The game is about Dragon Ball history and meddling with time, so you can expect it'll say something about movies and Dragon Ball GT canonicity.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:One of the best Dragon Ball games out there. :)

The game is about Dragon Ball history and meddling with time, so you can expect it'll say something about movies and Dragon Ball GT canonicity.
He's being sarcastic.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I really don't understand why people consider GT to be canon, had there be any doubts they should all be gone since BoG.
Because it's vastly preferable to Super at its very best?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 am

I'll say this.

Technically in Super, there is only two blatant contradictions to GT - Kibito Kai and the Pilaf Gang's ages. God ki can probably be handwaved, but we honestly don't know how Super will end, so still up in the air.

The only other thing I'll say is that the whole debate was reopened when GT was featured as part of the official timeline at a recent exhibition;

[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

So until something comes around in-universe that explicitly stops it from being canon, or Toriyama or Toyable or Toshio even say 'nah non-canon, didn't happen, alt timeline, whatever mate'; it'll always be canon to me.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 am

shadowmaria wrote:The only other thing I'll say is that the whole debate was reopened when GT was featured as part of the official timeline at a recent exhibition
Well, considering Dragon Ball GT is an official work, that's no surprising that official materials would give years to it. Even movies have their own time placement, as clarified in Daizenshuu 6. I don't think that means that the movies take place in the main continuity. Why would this mean Dragon Ball GT does?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:The only other thing I'll say is that the whole debate was reopened when GT was featured as part of the official timeline at a recent exhibition
Well, considering Dragon Ball GT is an official work, that's no surprising that official materials would give years to it. Even movies have their own time placement, as clarified in Daizenshuu 6. I don't think that means that the movies take place in the main continuity. Why would this mean Dragon Ball GT does?
Some of the movies can take place in the main continuity. I get the feeling that the anime considers it to be that some form of each movie happened at some point, but not exactly like depicted onscreen. Something like Movie 12 happened, but maybe Buu is mentioned as taking a nap or something, and it's in the timeskip. Or Movie 2 happens but Goku can go Super Saiyan and it's in the three-year wait for the Androids. Broad strokes. Otherwise, the Garlic Jr arc wouldn't be a thing. Basically, "something like the movies happened, but not necessarily exactly like the movies show".
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)