Piccolo's Voice in the Jr. Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Piccolo's Voice in the Jr. Saga

Post by ecrockedboston » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:00 pm

I've been watching the Dragon Ball anime for the first time the full way through, and I noticed that Piccolo's voice sounds EXACTLY like Vegeta's voice when he screams at Goku. I know Sabat voices them both, but wow... It's the EXACT same voice. Did anyone else notice this?
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Piccolo's Voice in the Jr. Saga

Post by Beek King » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Well as you've said they do both have the same actor. Screams are something harder to control in acting so I guess they're bound to sound similar at moments.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 am

That was definitely an issue back in the earlier days of Sabat's dubbing work, but generally in Z you can tell Piccolo and Vegeta's voices apart easily enough. At the 23rd tournament though, it's definitely...harder. I think it's because he'd never really had to voice evil Piccolo before (what with King Piccolo being more-or-less his own thing), so a lot of it ends up sounding a lot more like Vegeta than I'm sure he meant it to.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:12 am

His Piccolo Daimao doesn't sound anything like Vegeta. It sounds far more like DBZ Piccolo but deeper and more gravelly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.