Is there anything we can do to get Dragon Box - The Movies released in region 1?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Is there anything we can do to get Dragon Box - The Movies released in region 1?

Post by Damned » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 pm

I know you guys told me in a previous topic I made that Funimation has the rights to this Dragon Box (Does anyone have actual proof though?). I'm really interested in this Dragon Box being released more than the ones for Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball GT because...

1. The amazing quality audio contained within. While I don't have any issue with the optical audio, I'd certainly like to own versions of the movies with the best possible audio quality.

2. The two Z specials. I know that sounds weird, as they weren't on the R2 Dragon Box - The Movies, but Funimation has included them in their "Double Feature" line of Z products. This makes me believe that they consider those two specials movies, and that a R1 Dragon Box - The Movies would include them. I would like to own them in 4:3, with the Eng dub / Jpn score, and there is no release that gives me this, only one or the other. Since the R1 Dragon Box Z included this audio option, I feel it would only make sense for any other R1 Dragon Box release to do the same. This is also probably my biggest disappointment with our R1 Dragon Box Z release.

So, is there anything at all we can do to convince Funimation of releasing this other Dragon Box they have licensed? Emails, petitions, starting a Facebook or Twitter campaign? It seems pretty sad that Funimation is apparently just sitting on another Dragon Box they can release, especially the one that I want more than any other! I did read through the threads and people said that the R1 Dragon Box Z apparently didn't sell well, but is there any proof of that?

It just worries me since DVDs are slowly on the decline in use. The window for a Dragon Box release to still be viable is ever so slowly shrinking. I know Funimation will obviously want to focus on Dragon Ball Super first and foremost, and that will just be more time lost for Dragon Box - The Movies.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Is there anything we can do to get Dragon Box - The Movies released in region 1?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Very unlikely that we'll get an old DVD release adapted in this era of HD. They don't have a good reason to, either. Most people think the current release is fine. It's not very hard to import the Japanese and sync it with subtitles and audio from other releases all in an easy MKV format. Those who are in the market for it have already taken that route. Best to give up on this crusade.
Retired.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is there anything we can do to get Dragon Box - The Movies released in region 1?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 am

Damned wrote:(Does anyone have actual proof though?).
The only "proof" are some lines in FUNimation's original press release which state things like "the entire Dragon Ball Z anime series, episodes and films" and more specifically "the entire 291 episode television series and all 13 of its movies".

They could have been wrong, things could have changed, etc. Was never able to get a solid answer out of them on that part.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am

Damned wrote:I know you guys told me in a previous topic I made that Funimation has the rights to this Dragon Box (Does anyone have actual proof though?). I'm really interested in this Dragon Box being released more than the ones for Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball GT because...

1. The amazing quality audio contained within. While I don't have any issue with the optical audio, I'd certainly like to own versions of the movies with the best possible audio quality.

2. The two Z specials. I know that sounds weird, as they weren't on the R2 Dragon Box - The Movies, but Funimation has included them in their "Double Feature" line of Z products. This makes me believe that they consider those two specials movies, and that a R1 Dragon Box - The Movies would include them. I would like to own them in 4:3, with the Eng dub / Jpn score, and there is no release that gives me this, only one or the other. Since the R1 Dragon Box Z included this audio option, I feel it would only make sense for any other R1 Dragon Box release to do the same. This is also probably my biggest disappointment with our R1 Dragon Box Z release.

So, is there anything at all we can do to convince Funimation of releasing this other Dragon Box they have licensed? Emails, petitions, starting a Facebook or Twitter campaign? It seems pretty sad that Funimation is apparently just sitting on another Dragon Box they can release, especially the one that I want more than any other! I did read through the threads and people said that the R1 Dragon Box Z apparently didn't sell well, but is there any proof of that?

It just worries me since DVDs are slowly on the decline in use. The window for a Dragon Box release to still be viable is ever so slowly shrinking. I know Funimation will obviously want to focus on Dragon Ball Super first and foremost, and that will just be more time lost for Dragon Box - The Movies.
If you want new Dragon Ball release - you shouldn't even think about DVD. Dragon Boxes are outdated. It's 2017. We need Blu-ray! We need brand new film transfers to be done by Toei Animation with the use of first generation masters. We should concentrate on explaining Toei what we really want. Dragon Ball fanbase needs to start acting in their own interest.

The quality of both - picture and sound - on Dragon Box: The Movies is far from what we can achieve today. Most of the quality gain, which can be achieved, does not require much effort (fixing colors, balancing blacks and whites to not crush them etc.).
We need brand new release!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Very unlikely that we'll get an old DVD release adapted in this era of HD. They don't have a good reason to, either. Most people think the current release is fine. It's not very hard to import the Japanese and sync it with subtitles and audio from other releases all in an easy MKV format. Those who are in the market for it have already taken that route. Best to give up on this crusade.
Maybe Discotek Media could acquire license? Cardcaptor Sakura series got released by NiS America, but Movie 1 was re-released by Discotek
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:58 am

coola wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Very unlikely that we'll get an old DVD release adapted in this era of HD. They don't have a good reason to, either. Most people think the current release is fine. It's not very hard to import the Japanese and sync it with subtitles and audio from other releases all in an easy MKV format. Those who are in the market for it have already taken that route. Best to give up on this crusade.
Maybe Discotek Media could acquire license? Cardcaptor Sakura series got released by NiS America, but Movie 1 was re-released by Discotek
Impossible. All the films and TV episodes (besides the Jump anime special which is owned by Shuiesha) are handled by Toei, who have a long standing relationship with Funimation for over 20 years now. You have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the license for anything Dragon Ball related away from Funimation. It's their golden calf, they're number one evergreen property. The only way for the license to be picked up by anyone else is if Toei pulled it for whatever reason, and even then I can't imagine it would be a smooth process.