Interview with Masaki Satō, Veteran DB Animator

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Interview with Masaki Satō, Veteran DB Animator

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:31 pm

This interview is from HobbyConsolas last December, but I didn't see a thread for it here.

Masaki Satō was one of the best or arguably the best animator from the old DB/DBZ anime. Whenever you think of Dragonball animation at its highest quality, he was largely responsible for many of those moments (Goku vs Nappa, Vegeta vs Recoome, Goku's first SSJ transformation, etc.)

Some of his recent DB artwork show that he hasn't lost his touch and can still capture that original DB art style seen from his past works:

The interview is in Spanish, but Google Translate provides an adequate enough translation. Interesting to note that he doesn't like the direction DB Super has gone but ambivalently would like to work on it nonetheless, as his passion for the original series is still there:

http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reportajes ... or-84308#!

[spoiler]Antonio Sánchez-Migallón (@MrKaytos) (1) First of all, thank you very much for accepting our interview for Hobby Consoles. Let's go with the first question of a total of 10 questions: How did you feel when drawing a Dragon Ball illustration 20 years later?

Masaki Satō - I have not felt that 20 years have passed. It is true that the time without touching Dragon Ball has been long, and I could not imagine how to get closer to his world. So I did not want to intervene in a disruptive way, just express who I am right now and think like I'm part of the Dragon Ball world. So it has all been unplanned.

A- (2) What was it like working together with Minoru Maeda? What memories and anecdotes do you bring that time?

M. S. - I met Mr. Maeda when I was a junior character creator working on Touch and Dragon Ball. The first time I saw him was at the end of the poster of the first film. Mr. Maeda was intimidating in our industry, by rumors in other companies about his hard work! (However, half of the week we spent drinking ... it was fun to be with Mr. Maeda, although as I do not drink ... Sometimes it was difficult!) When the anime reached the manga in terms of history , Mr. Maeda gave me the sleeve saying "toma, I have not read it yet". We got a big surprise when Yamcha died. At first I thought it was a joke, but ... Yamcha had really died!

A - (3) What is your favorite Dragon Ball character and saga and why?

M. S. - My favorite character is Goku, of course! Especially because of all the scenes I've created about it. I also like Tien Shin Han, with his energy cannon. In stage Z, during the battle against Vegeta and Nappa, although Tien had gained power, he was beaten by Nappa, cutting his arm cleanly. My feeling was "Wow, but if that's Tien! What a great force! " It was fun creating that scene and Tien's surprise at seeing the enormous difference of strength between the Saiyans and the others, and as Tien, despite everything, managed to harm Nappa even a little. I would like Tien to appear more in the future of the series!

A - (4) Have you met Akira Toriyama in person? What is your opinion?

M - Unfortunately I have not met Akira Toriyama in person.

A - (5) You have participated in episodes, specials, movies and even TV ads of Dragon Ball. Remember what was the most complex project to encourage in the franchise?

M. S. - Although difficult to say, both the debut of the first Dragon Ball movie and my directorial debut (also in Dragon Ball) were complicated. There was no time, the project was very big, and the whole team had to try to reach the point of the manga story. Sometimes we also made mistakes when we made television ads that we only noticed once they were on the air! Initially, the direction of the episodes was of Mr. Maeda, but he was busy with other drawings and had scheduling problems. For scheduling confusions, the chapters had to be prepared before the TV special, although this was broadcast before ... To be my first job was very hard!

A - (6) How about Dragon Ball Super in the animated and plot area?

M. S. - I'm not involved in Super, but it does not give me the same feeling as the series that we did. At the time I did my job, Dragon Ball was quite unknown. I read the volumes to know the world of Dragon Ball (which I still reread from time to time and I still like!) I do not know much about Super, but since it does not come from a manga, there is no concrete guide for the creation of the chapters. Apart from Goku and Vegeta, who have become very powerful, it seems that the other characters are not up to par. It is also difficult to know if Goku and Vegeta are on equal footing. As neither I nor my friends are involved in the project, it is difficult to know what the future holds for Super.

A - (7) Would you like to participate in Dragon Ball Super and satisfy millions of fans who yearn for it?

M. S. - Yes! I never thought I'd join the Dragon Ball creator community again. However, I do not think it has anything to offer a new Dragon Ball. I get the impression that the Super expression shows that it has a different, more foreign touch. I think this influences the style of the drawing. Right now I have no hope of participating in Dragon Ball Super.

A - (8) Apart from Dragon Ball, what do you consider your best work in the field of animation? Do you have new projects on the horizon?

M. S. - Regardless of Dragon Ball, and without wanting to miss modesty, I think Slam Dunk, where I was in charge of the design of characters for the first time. Right now I'm creating characters for TV series, and I received an offer to be director of Creation of characters in a foreign company.

A - (9) Would you like to come as a luxury guest to Spain for some manganime convention?

M. S. - It would be a great honor! If family and work permit, it may be possible. 10 years ago I went to New York and since then I have not traveled ... So I really want to!

A - (10) Could you send a message to all Dragon Ball fans who enjoyed their excellent work? Thank you very much for answering our questions, dear Masaki Satō.

M. S. - Thank you very much for contacting me. Since I left Dragon Ball 20 years ago, those who saw it have become parents, and their children are still watching Dragon Ball. I think this is the great merit of the work. Even if I try to look at the situation objectively, I see that Dragon Ball is still loved in Spain and the rest of the world, and that makes it the best work of Japan (in the sense of anime and manga). I felt so honored to work in A franchise so popular that I could not get involved in any other project at that time. At that moment, I felt that many immature projects were being offered to me. Today, I still feel the popularity of those chapters. I am very happy that my friends who participated in those episodes also feel proud of their work. Thanks Antonio, and thanks to Spain. I know Dragon Ball is very popular there and that makes me very happy. Thanks for your time![/spoiler]

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Interview with Masaki Satō, Veteran DB Animator

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 am

Great interview.

His artwork is still awesome after all those years.

I think that maybe he should come and work on Super.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Re: Interview with Masaki Satō, Veteran DB Animator

Post by Trickster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

He was one of the best animators in DB series, he is my goal to improve my artwork. But I didn't like the interview very much. I think they could have focused more in the technical aspects of working as an animator, instead of his personal life/feelings.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful