What's so bad about 'Bulla?'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

What's so bad about 'Bulla?'

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 pm

With everyone's negative reactions to the Dragon Ball Super Sub calling Bra 'Bulla'. I just have to ask a question what's so bad about the name Bulla?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: What's so bad about 'Bulla?'

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm

It's just obnoxious that they change the names, and "Bulla" is a new reminder of that.
Retired.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:17 pm

There's nothing wrong with the name, it would be odd if the name was changed, it's like we're used to it, GT or not...
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 pm

successoroffate wrote:There's nothing wrong with the name, it would be odd if the name was changed, it's like we're used to it, GT or not...
That only applies to the English dub, this is people getting annoyed at changing the name for the subtitles of the Japanese version.

Weirdest thing for me was that earlier in the episode they used Karin instead of Korin, but also I found it weird that so many people are talking about this particular one when most of us were expecting this to happen since it already happened with the other names.

Here's hoping that Funimation will at the very least just change these names for their home release.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Don't the subtitles also use Bulma instead of Buruma and Krillin instead of Kuririn and Yamcha instead of Yamucha?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Don't the subtitles also use Bulma instead of Buruma and Krillin instead of Kuririn and Yamcha instead of Yamucha?
The subtitles use Bulma, Kuririn, and I'm pretty sure Yamcha.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 pm

The pronunciation of 'Bulla' in the anime sounds close to 'Bra', so that isn't the issue for me. The issue for me is that in English it will read and sound like 'Bull-ah' and that, in my opinion is a garbage name. It doesn't sound remotely female and Funimation's decision to go with Bulla instead of Bra is a horrible decision. But that's just my opinion.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Don't the subtitles also use Bulma instead of Buruma and Krillin instead of Kuririn and Yamcha instead of Yamucha?
The subtitles use Krillin, not Kuririn.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Avenant wrote:The pronunciation of 'Bulla' in the anime sounds close to 'Bra', so that isn't the issue for me. The issue for me is that in English it will read and sound like 'Bull-ah' and that, in my opinion is a garbage name
Reminder that apparently Bulla is a dumb name but Bra is totally fine.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 pm

ABED wrote:
The Simmons/Mandelon subs use Bulma, Kuririn, and Yamucha. The Toei subs use Bulma, Krillin, and Yamcha.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with the name itself, but people want accuracy. Which is fair. I personally don't care either way. I refer to her as Bra online and Bulla when I'm speaking with my more casual friends.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 am

Wouldn't doubt it was done at a corporate level since it would be hard to sell merch like toys if the kid's name in English is Bra. But then, I dislike Bulma too. My Funko toy has the Bulma crossed out and Bloomer written overtop of it...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 am

precita wrote:
ABED wrote:
Which subtitles?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:43 am

Gog wrote:With everyone's negative reactions to the Dragon Ball Super Sub calling Bra 'Bulla'. I just have to ask a question what's so bad about the name Bulla?
It's bad in the same way that names like Piccoro, Bejita, Furiza, Tolunkusu, Seru, and Bebi are bad: they're names that are indisputably puns on English words, and they're translated in a way that masks this as much as possible. That misses the entire point behind the names. That's pretty much leaving meta-jokes untranslated.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 am

ABED wrote:
precita wrote:
ABED wrote: The subtitles use Bulma, Kuririn, and I'm pretty sure Yamcha.
Which subtitles?
The subtitles used on the simulcasts of DBS, the ones provided by Toei themselves that use dub names (and they also randomly use new translations like Masenko was always called Masenko in the dub but they randomly decided to translate it to Demon Flash) basically they're quite messy subs with inconsistent naming schemes and everyone is hoping that Funimation puts the proper names in the subtitles for their home release of Super.

It was mentioned in the OP, remember to read the OP everyone (though now I mention it is the OP asking what's bad about the name Bulla in general or just in relation to being used on the DBS subs?) (Either way, it's not that it's a bad name it's more that it's just an incorrect name that purposefully misses the name pun, yes I know why they did it but still this is the same series with Ran Fan in it, kids know what a bra is)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 am

Destroys the pun, and is just stupid censorship. And if it wasn't because of censorship, then I hate it even more.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 am

Deathbringer wrote:
ABED wrote:
precita wrote:
Which subtitles?
The subtitles used on the simulcasts of DBS, the ones provided by Toei themselves that use dub names (and they also randomly use new translations like Masenko was always called Masenko in the dub but they randomly decided to translate it to Demon Flash) basically they're quite messy subs with inconsistent naming schemes and everyone is hoping that Funimation puts the proper names in the subtitles for their home release of Super.

It was mentioned in the OP, remember to read the OP everyone (though now I mention it is the OP asking what's bad about the name Bulla in general or just in relation to being used on the DBS subs?) (Either way, it's not that it's a bad name it's more that it's just an incorrect name that purposefully misses the name pun, yes I know why they did it but still this is the same series with Ran Fan in it, kids know what a bra is)
Thanks man.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am

Is this really the big thing? Did people not notice that the subs use names like "Ox King" and "King Kai?" The subs all have the dub terms -- "Spirit Bomb" included. So yeah, Bra's name in the dub was "Bulla," so that's what was used. When we get the Blu-rays, I'm sure that the names will be changed to their former Steve Simmons translation.

By the way, "Bra" is a ridiculously stupid name to begin with and Funimation wasn't about to put that out on TV in 2003. I mean, come on.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Avenant wrote:The pronunciation of 'Bulla' in the anime sounds close to 'Bra', so that isn't the issue for me. The issue for me is that in English it will read and sound like 'Bull-ah' and that, in my opinion is a garbage name
Reminder that apparently Bulla is a dumb name but Bra is totally fine.
It's pronunciation is more in the vein of Bulma, Trunks and the whole Briefs name than "Bulla". Bulma is a funny name. Trunks is a funny name. Dr. Briefs is a funny name. Bra would be a funny name, but we're given Bulla. Sounds like crap, plain and simple.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am

In movie 7, we can see Kuririn with that space uniform, when they're going to New Namek, and it's written "Kuririn" on it, not "Krillin". Instead of Bulma, who we can see, in the first episode, with "Bulma" in her t-shirt, not "Buruma". So, I think it's clear those are the right ways to write the names.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful