What's so bad about 'Bulla?'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: What's so bad about 'Bulla?'

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 am

Because it's not her fucking name... :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

I've always seen the dissatisfaction among the Dragon Ball community around the name "Bulla" being entered around the fact that it ruins the pun behind her original name.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Because people would have been offended by her original name, I guess.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:59 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Because people would have been offended by her original name, I guess.
So the word "Bra" is more objectionable than Videl's fight with Spopovich?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Because people would have been offended by her original name, I guess.
For those sensitive people, it probably is or isn't.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
For those sensitive people, it probably is or isn't.
It's pretty stupid, though. And a little sexist, given "Trunks", "Dr. Briefs", and kid Goku's junk constantly showing up are all okay.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Well, the English dub of the Videl/Spopovich fight was heavily censored when shown on TV, so your point is kind of invalid.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:08 am

But it wasn't censored on the uncut DVDs, whereas Bra's name was.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 am

Gog wrote:With everyone's negative reactions to the Dragon Ball Super Sub calling Bra 'Bulla'. I just have to ask a question what's so bad about the name Bulla?
Firstly, it completely loses the intended pun /allusion. Secondly, it sounds like bully.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:35 am

Now that I think about it, Bulla is a very masculine sounding name, it straight up has the word "bull" in it.

And once again, if you follow the (uncut version of the) series from beginning of DB to end of DBZ you would have already seen things like Ran Fan stripping to her underwear, Kuririn lifting up Bulma's shirt, Bulma walking around in her underwear in filler episodes on the way to Namek, multiple scenes of Bulma in the bath and quite a few other sexy moments.

I can understand why a kids TV time slot would want to censor things like this but they should have changed Bulla to Bra on the DVDs like how they changed Hercule to Mr Satan. (Although having said that, there are plenty of names they should have corrected on the DVDs while they had the chance, seeing as the American fanbase was surprisingly accepting of the name Mr Satan being used in the dub over Hercule)

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, I think it was the closest what they were trying to relate it to, as opposed to just completely making up a name out of the blue for her like they did with Mr. Satan and still poorly do with Tenshinhan. "Bulla" at the least sounds like a diminutive of "Bulma". For the sake of subs, I do agree that they shouldn't use the dub names for it, only because of how circular it is, and the fact that people think the dubisms, are the direct translations because they read them in the subs.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.