If Dragonball Z came back on TV would Bruce Faulconer Music come back?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: If Dragonball Z came back on TV would Bruce Faulconer Music come back?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote:LMFAO you can't put music basic on manga any singer or music maker is going to iinterpret a comic book or in this case a manga much differently... But Bruce Songs fit perfectly with DBZ...
This kind of borderline-incomprehensible post really isn't acceptable here, I'm sorry to say. Please give the community guidelines a quick review before continuing. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Toonami Asia has used both the Faulconer and Jonson scores for their Z broadcasts in recent years, despite using Season set footage, which means they actively chose to use it. I personally think that if a channel airs English Z then they should stick with the score that became famous along with English Z. There's always Kai if people(or a network) want a more true to the original experience. The only way English Z would really work with the original score is if they did a full re-dub, which would be pretty redundant now anyway.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Honestly, since they're airing the dub with the replacement score, I really think Toonami Asia should use the singles DVDs instead of the Orange Bricks.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gokuisasuperhero wrote:LMFAO you can't put music basic on manga any singer or music maker is going to iinterpret a comic book or in this case a manga much differently... But Bruce Songs fit perfectly with DBZ...
This kind of borderline-incomprehensible post really isn't acceptable here, I'm sorry to say. Please give the community guidelines a quick review before continuing. Thanks!

Well I not good at spelling bro on learning disable... Sorry I try my best but this is how I am...

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Toonami Asia has used both the Faulconer and Jonson scores for their Z broadcasts in recent years, despite using Season set footage, which means they actively chose to use it. I personally think that if a channel airs English Z then they should stick with the score that became famous along with English Z. There's always Kai if people(or a network) want a more true to the original experience. The only way English Z would really work with the original score is if they did a full re-dub, which would be pretty redundant now anyway.
Wait that have? Why would that used another Dub Company for Dragonball Super for there English Dub then???

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Toonami Asia has used both the Faulconer and Jonson scores for their Z broadcasts in recent years, despite using Season set footage, which means they actively chose to use it. I personally think that if a channel airs English Z then they should stick with the score that became famous along with English Z. There's always Kai if people(or a network) want a more true to the original experience. The only way English Z would really work with the original score is if they did a full re-dub, which would be pretty redundant now anyway.
Wait that have? Why would that used another Dub Company for Dragonball Super for there English Dub then???
Probably because their were impatient waiting for FUNi. And you wouldn't happen to be TeenGohanFigter, that Faulconer loving YouTuber that calls Goku a superhero?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Cool, glad we're on the same page!

I don't agree at all with "scored to the show" having any weight at all in this discussion of "accuracy". Sure, the Faulconer Productions team often scored new pieces of music directly to scenes of the show. So did the original Shuki Levy / Ron Wasserman replacement score. But that has nothing to do with "accuracy"; that's just interesting behind-the-scenes information about its production. It's a tidbit. It's a factoid. Furthermore, they were told what kind of style to create by the higher production powers (namely Barry Watson), all of which was wrapped up in a marketing plan to appeal to a specific demographic in a certain place and time. It's not like Bruce sat in a vacuum and decided what the "spirit" of the show was.

Whether or not you "like" it also has no weight in an "accuracy" discussion, either. Toei made a product a certain way for certain reasons, and it is what it is. If you believe in the spirit of "accuracy", you're not looking for someone else's interpretation or hot new take on the product; you want the product (as close as you can get it; in some cases, that's subtitled in its original language, and in other cases, that's dubbed in your local language).
Well what I mean is that, music in itself is very subjective. Like, we can look at how the dub changed the dialogue as something you can factually say is different because it's changing the story a bit and the characterization. Music in itself is something added later which the manga wasn't designed around, and although that person is Japanese and read the manga, that is still that person's own interpretation on what it would sound like. This is where we get into the subjective aspect on what one considers the best portrayal of Dragon Ball Z in terms of music.

I suppose the point I'm attempting to make is that if we're getting into which is the closest to the manga, then that's the original anime with the original dialogue, but the music in itself I find to be subjective as it was added later after an anime was created. If Dragon Ball was an anime first and foremost, then I'd feel differently.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd say that they would probably use their orange brick/Blu-ray (whichever) footage because that's what they're using on Funimation Now and what they used on Hulu. Those versions of the series also only had the original BGM, so I'm assuming that the Faulconer BGM is pretty much never going to be used on TV or streaming media again.
The orange brick/Blu-ray have the Bruce Score in it...
I know. I'm just saying that they don't seem to be using their original footage anymore and while the Faulconer score is a part of the orange bricks/Blu-rays, it's not the default option, which makes it seem secondary now. Furthermore, Hulu and Funimation Now used only the dub with Japanese BGM.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Gokuisasuperhero wrote:
Probably because their were impatient waiting for FUNi. And you wouldn't happen to be TeenGohanFigter, that Faulconer loving YouTuber that calls Goku a superhero?
Not true b/c there dub announced came out before Funimation even made there announced on there dub... Also fyi Goku is a Superhero...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:51 pm

I know FUNi have to pay royalties if the BF score airs on TV, but this is interesting, I also know that music is a separate license and Kikuchi music probably is pretty expensive so that is maybe why Asia is using the BF score (I assume the royalty thing maybe only if it airs in America?)?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Well what I mean is that, music in itself is very subjective. Like, we can look at how the dub changed the dialogue as something you can factually say is different because it's changing the story a bit and the characterization. Music in itself is something added later which the manga wasn't designed around, and although that person is Japanese and read the manga, that is still that person's own interpretation on what it would sound like. This is where we get into the subjective aspect on what one considers the best portrayal of Dragon Ball Z in terms of music.

I suppose the point I'm attempting to make is that if we're getting into which is the closest to the manga, then that's the original anime with the original dialogue, but the music in itself I find to be subjective as it was added later after an anime was created. If Dragon Ball was an anime first and foremost, then I'd feel differently.
I think we mostly agree (of course musical taste is subjective), but where we differ is that you're still trying to argue that a change in music is fine because the "source material" is the manga which didn't have music.

OK, I concede to the manga not having music, but (again) I'm not interested in someone's adaptation of someone's adaptation of someone's adaptation. I can't go that many steps removed. Who cares at that point? Why not just make my own show?

Toei's anime adaptation has its own new material, authorial input, etc. beyond the original manga. The Dragon Ball anime is a self-contained product in and of itself, and that's the product I want to be able to watch and primarily have available. They made a slew of decisions around its production, and all of those work together hand-in-hand. When you start removing pieces, you get... uhh... well, FUNimation's original attempt at the show, which is something that I'm just not interested in.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I know FUNi have to pay royalties if the BF score airs on TV, but this is interesting, I also know that music is a separate license and Kikuchi music probably is pretty expensive so that is maybe why Asia is using the BF score (I assume the royalty thing maybe only if it airs in America?)?
I don't think that true b/c Cartoon Network still air it until 2008 long after the lawsuit and then also air it on April Fool Day in 2012 so that would not just give it for free to air if that could not air it on TV...

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Well what I mean is that, music in itself is very subjective. Like, we can look at how the dub changed the dialogue as something you can factually say is different because it's changing the story a bit and the characterization. Music in itself is something added later which the manga wasn't designed around, and although that person is Japanese and read the manga, that is still that person's own interpretation on what it would sound like. This is where we get into the subjective aspect on what one considers the best portrayal of Dragon Ball Z in terms of music.

I think we mostly agree (of course musical taste is subjective), but where we differ is that you're still trying to argue that a change in music is fine because the "source material" is the manga which didn't have music.

OK, I concede to the manga not having music, but (again) I'm not interested in someone's adaptation of someone's adaptation of someone's adaptation. I can't go that many steps removed. Who cares at that point? Why not just make my own show?

Toei's anime adaptation has its own new material, authorial input, etc. beyond the original manga. The Dragon Ball anime is a self-contained product in and of itself, and that's the product I want to be able to watch and primarily have available. They made a slew of decisions around its production, and all of those work together hand-in-hand. When you start removing pieces, you get... uhh... well, FUNimation's original attempt at the show, which is something that I'm just not interested in.
Them changing the song does not effect people liking it which is why it got over back in the early 2000's... B/c the song was WELL done by Bruce and his team...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm

People keep telling me they like the changed music... when I keep in turn telling them I understand they like the changed music and it's fantastic they like the changed music... but that's not the underlying point I've ever been making!

Again, really, it's great if you like the replacement music, and you've had a few decent theories as to what might be used were Z-proper to come back to American television. The side discussion, however, came off the word "accuracy", and subjective taste really has nothing to do with that.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:The reason Cartoon Network was able to air the DBZ movies a few years ago on TV with Kikuchi's score was because they were airing the uncut versions, and thanks to the orange bricks, FUNimation did in fact have an uncut version on hand featuring Kikuchi's score. I guarantee you that if Cartoon Network asked for an edited version, we would have heard the Faulconer score since the only edited version of the show that FUNimation has features the Faulconer score.
Don't forget all the licensed music in their dub of movie 5, which I'm pretty sure they didn't have the rights for when it came to TV broadcasts, only for home video.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 am

Also, don't they have some agreement in place where they have to pay Faulconer royalties every time his score is played on TV? So they'd probably go with the Kikuchi score if only to get around that.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 am

I feel that it's worth noting that Dragon Ball Z's chances of airing on American TV are very slim. Kai has been universally well-received and is a much better broadcasting option for several reasons, notably the fact that it has any dangerous flashes pre-removed, it's pre-censored to a degree, and it's a blatantly better show in any way that matters for your general, casual audience.
Puto wrote:Also, don't they have some agreement in place where they have to pay Faulconer royalties every time his score is played on TV? So they'd probably go with the Kikuchi score if only to get around that.
It's certainly not unlikely.
Retired.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 am

VegettoEX wrote:
I may be out of line here, but I just wanted to mention that while his post was difficult to read, I understood what he was saying perfectly. His response was to explain that he was disabled, and there was no acknowledgement on your part. I understand where you were coming from, because no one likes to read what appears to be texting shorthand, but my first thought was that maybe english wasn't this user's first language. I'm not even saying you owe him an apology, or special treatment, but I think your response was a bit much.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Bansho64 wrote:Honestly, since they're airing the dub with the replacement score, I really think Toonami Asia should use the singles DVDs instead of the Orange Bricks.
Sorry I meant to say they used Blu-ray footage, not Orange Brick footage. While the singles wouldn't be a bad choice they're not HD, which I'm pretty sure Toonami Asia's shows generally are. Plus they'd had to have used the Edited Ocean Pioneer singles for the early episodes, which would lead to censorship complaints.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Not necessarily. I think it basically applies to any country it airs in, and I've got a hunch that it's part of the reason Cartoon Network UK chose to switch to the Westwood dub later on, because they couldn't afford to pay Faulconer royalties on top of licensing the show. At least that's my assumption. There seems to be a somewhat similar issue with recent English dubs like One Piece and Buu Kai not being able to dub the Intro and Ending songs overseas due to the Japanese singers/songwriters maintaining certain rights.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am

VegettoEX wrote:People keep telling me they like the changed music... when I keep in turn telling them I understand they like the changed music and it's fantastic they like the changed music... but that's not the underlying point I've ever been making!

Again, really, it's great if you like the replacement music, and you've had a few decent theories as to what might be used were Z-proper to come back to American television. The side discussion, however, came off the word "accuracy", and subjective taste really has nothing to do with that.
"accuracy" there is no "accuracy" to DBZ it was a manga that turn into anime just b/c that change songs does not make it any less different in term of accuracy.