How much has the dragon ball franchise made?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How much has the dragon ball franchise made?

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:44 pm

I just read it was $5 billion.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Re: How much has the dragon ball franchise made?

Post by Avenant » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Is this number even calculable? So many people/companies own different rights to different aspects and intellectual properties within the DragonBall franchise that it should be next to impossible to get an accurate number. So I guess the questions should be a little more specific, because at this moment it's too generalized.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Was it properly sourced?
Retired.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Although it's probably impossible to get an accurate number due to the aforementioned reasons, I am really curious to see someone with adequate knowledge give at least an idea of what range the franchise is worth in total. Apparently Toriyama is like, a super millionaire? I was really surprised when I read that. Apparently he was a millionaire just from Dr. Slump even, he didn't even need Dragon Ball. Is this true?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 pm

I read somewhere it made about $30 billion which is understandable because the franchise is like up there with TMNT and Star Wars in terms of popularity and influence.

Though it's higher than The Simpson ($12 billion) and Dragon Ball is definitely not as big as that series.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Though it's higher than The Simpson, Dragon Ball is definitely not as big as that series.
It's probably bigger.

The simpsons is just an animated series while DB has that, movies, games, manga, etc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 am

Are you including all the merch with this, like the toys and videogames?

I mean if you count everything, not just the manga sales or anime ratings...it has to be....1 BILLION dollars. Or not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 am

sintzu wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Though it's higher than The Simpson, Dragon Ball is definitely not as big as that series.
It's probably bigger.

The simpsons is just an animated series while DB has that, movies, games, manga, etc.
The Simpsons is not just an animated series. It has comics, books, video games, tons of other merchandise, the feature length movie which made more than all of the Dragon Ball movies combined...

The Simpson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy bigger than Dragon Ball. It has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for crying out loud.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

Plus, The Simpsons mark on pop culture is far greater. Say the name Homer, and immediately everyone knows who that is even if they haven't been living in a cave. Even if they've never seen an episode, they know Homer and Bart Simpson.
I read somewhere it made about $30 billion which is understandable because the franchise is like up there with TMNT and Star Wars in terms of popularity and influence.
I don't believe that. It's nowhere near Star Wars.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:57 am

ABED wrote:Plus, The Simpsons mark on pop culture is far greater. Say the name Homer, and immediately everyone knows who that is if they haven't been living in a cave. Even if they've never seen an episode, they know Homer and Bart Simpson.
Yeah, I think some are letting their fandom cloud their judgement. Simpsons and Star Wars are definitely bigger. They both have entire theme park sections for crying out loud.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Avenant wrote:
ABED wrote:Plus, The Simpsons mark on pop culture is far greater. Say the name Homer, and immediately everyone knows who that is if they haven't been living in a cave. Even if they've never seen an episode, they know Homer and Bart Simpson.
Yeah, I think some are letting their fandom cloud their judgement. Simpsons and Star Wars are definitely bigger. They both have entire theme park sections for crying out loud.
To be fair, DB has a room at Shueisha now and also has an international following, but it's clearly less popular than Star Wars.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Avenant wrote:
Dragon Ball has multiple theme parks too.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:58 pm

In America?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:01 pm

DB is nowhere as big as Star Wars, Marvel, DC, The Simpsons and Star Trek. I do think the franchise is worth a lot since it's one of the most famous anime overseas. People who don't know anime or watch anime or read manga know what Dragon Ball is.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 pm

https://books.google.com/books?id=hEeDF ... rs&f=false
I don't know if it's credible or not looks credible, I was a little skeptical, but after I thought about it some more piece by piece, it seemed believable.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Avenant wrote:
I've seen people (on this forum, mind you), seriously argue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity. People are stupid.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm

ABED wrote:In America?
It has several in Europe, Italy, Japan, and of course... Latin America where it's practically a religion.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:In America?
It has several in Europe, Italy, Japan, and of course... Latin America where it's practically a religion.
The Simpsons is a cultural touchstone and is on American primetime TV. America is more of an importer than exporter, but one of the big things we export is TV and movies. The Simpsons is iconic American TV. And Star Wars was responsible for the concept of the summer blockbuster (along with Jaws).

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I've seen people (on this forum, mind you), seriously argue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity. People are stupid.
C'mon, you know better than this. Start finding nicer ways to phrase your statements, or the free warnings are going transition to account strikes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I've seen people (on this forum, mind you), seriously argue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity. People are stupid.
C'mon, you know better than this. Start finding nicer ways to phrase your statements, or the free warnings are going transition to account strikes.
I apologize. Long day. No excuse, but your point is taken.

As a more polite rebuttal to some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, and as a method of providing some perspective at how Dragon Ball sales measure up to mega-franchises like Star Wars and Marvel, here's a very helpful post from MarcFBR that was in a recently necrobumped thread on this page:
MarcFBR wrote:Just to further point out.

Like multiple people have clarified from actually reading the Funimation sales catalogs, the numbers given are apparently lifetime merchandise sales from the entire world for Dragon Ball Z (which for the sake of argument we will assume are accurate.) This number is roughly $5 billion as of late last year (for the lifetime of the franchise.)

Based on various bits over the years we know that while Marvel did quite well once Iron Man came out that Marvel as a true unstoppable juggernaut began the year Avengers came out in theaters (2012.)

According to Advertising Age, in 2011 alone Marvel's merchandise did $6 billion in retail merchandise sales.
Dragon Ball is like a nice shiny (if a bit aged) horse that you trot around to show off to important guests. Stuff like Star Wars and Marvel? That's like busting in on your dinner party riding a fucking T-Rex. There's no comparison.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"