How much has the dragon ball franchise made?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How much has the dragon ball franchise made?

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:52 pm

The point is that Dragon Ball has obviously sold much more per-issue than Superman has. At 12,779 appearances, in order to reach 600 million, each issue sold an average of 46,952 copies. For Dragon Ball to reach 200 million, each issue had to sell an average of 384,615 copies. That's not taking into account Superman's massive advantage in time. Superman might be more recognized, but are you really telling me that he's more popular based on those numbers?
I get what you are getting at, but the comparison is incredibly difficult to make the comparison apples and apples. You're trying to make a comparison of a comic with a finite number of issues against a character who has had numerous titles over a different time period, so the dollar figures will also be different. It's like comparing film grosses across decades. Even taking inflation into account, the markets are completely different.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 pm

GigaDrill wrote:I always felt that LotR was more of a niche franchise from the beginning, with Harry Potter and Superman having become far more mainstream since their movies came out.
Lord of the Rings was never a niche franchise. The books have been loved for decades way before Peter Jackson's movies where release in the early 2000's. Not to mention that Lord of the Ring has been a huge inspiration for the fantasy genre and has a impact on pop culture for decades ( Led Zeppelin has a song referencing the Misty Mountains). Dungeons & Dragons, Warcraft, Record of Lodoss War, EverQuest, and Final Fantasy would probably won't exist without Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is the Star Wars of the fantasy genre. I read the books and watch the 70's animated film before the first live action movie was release in theaters as a kid. These books have a fandom many years long before I was born (I was born in 1991).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:I always felt that LotR was more of a niche franchise from the beginning, with Harry Potter and Superman having become far more mainstream since their movies came out.
Lord of the Rings was never a niche franchise. The books have been loved for decades way before Peter Jackson's movies where release in the early 2000's. Not to mention that Lord of the Ring has been a huge inspiration for the fantasy genre and has a impact on pop culture for decades ( Led Zeppelin has a song referencing the Misty Mountains). Dungeons & Dragons, Warcraft, Record of Lodoss War, EverQuest, and Final Fantasy would probably won't exist without Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is the Star Wars of the fantasy genre. I read the books and watch the 70's animated film before the first live action movie was release in theaters as a kid. These books have a fandom many years long before I was born (I was born in 1991).
Star Wars wouldn't exist without LotR.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Has Lucas said it was an influence? I don't recall that ever being the case.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Not directly, but things he has cited were influenced by Tolkien. Nearly any western story with fantasy origins can be traced back to LotR, in a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way.

There are other things, like the story structure in parts of the original trilogy, but I won't go into that here.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Not directly, but things he has cited were influenced by Tolkien. Nearly any western story with fantasy origins can be traced back to LotR, in a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way.

There are other things, like the story structure in parts of the original trilogy, but I won't go into that here.
Tolkien didn't create the fantasy genre. It was arguably the most popular, but I doubt it created the tropes of fantasy fiction the same way Sherlock Holmes created many of the tropes of detective stories.

I don't think LOTR influenced the structure of Star Wars.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am

ABED wrote:
The point is that Dragon Ball has obviously sold much more per-issue than Superman has. At 12,779 appearances, in order to reach 600 million, each issue sold an average of 46,952 copies. For Dragon Ball to reach 200 million, each issue had to sell an average of 384,615 copies. That's not taking into account Superman's massive advantage in time. Superman might be more recognized, but are you really telling me that he's more popular based on those numbers?
I get what you are getting at, but the comparison is incredibly difficult to make the comparison apples and apples. You're trying to make a comparison of a comic with a finite number of issues against a character who has had numerous titles over a different time period, so the dollar figures will also be different. It's like comparing film grosses across decades. Even taking inflation into account, the markets are completely different.
I don't see how those factors can be anything other than advantages to Superman. He has many different titles from many different writers in many different time periods, meaning he's had the opportunity to appeal to a far wider group of people. He's been scifi, campy, dark, light, introspective, action-packed. Not to mention the numerous tie ins with other characters. If somebody wants to read Batman, they'd buy World's Finest and give Superman an extra sale by default. Dragon Ball is just one thing from one writer, different types of people can all potentially find a Superman story that appeals to them because the character has experienced every tone imaginable, but Dragon Ball had to get by as just Dragon Ball.

And that "over a different time period" you mentioned is just a longer time period. As in, nothing but an advantage to Superman. Superman remained in publication the entire time Dragon Ball was being written. You said that what I'm doing is like comparing film grosses over different decades, but the reason that isn't fair is because more people go to the movies in the modern world than they did in the past decades. But that flaw doesn't apply to this comparison because Superman was in publication before Dragon Ball, simultaneously with Dragon Ball, and after Dragon Ball.

Yet with all that said, per issue or per volume Dragon Ball has outperformed Superman. Vastly. Superman is more recognized, but Dragon Ball has more actual fans.

The only reason Superman franchise has sold more than Dragon Ball is because of its greater quantity of material and more time. Superman has the advantage with movies and more merchandise because he is culturally known and accepted while Dragon Ball is a niche thing that people would he embarrassed about, the companies simply don't put out as much merch or advertisement for DB, but when you compare them in any field where Dragon Ball has an equivalent (for example, comics vs comics or animations vs animations) Dragon Ball always comes out superior by leaps and bounds.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 am

So the original thread that contained a link and information that showed the franchises sales and worth was locked.

And yet this thread which was made due to me referring to that original thread on the TV ratings thread and what doesn't contain any links or information at all was kept open instead....riiiight.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 am

Superman got those advantages by being popular. He wouldn't have gotten that many issues and titles had he not sold well. Plenty of characters don't have that sort of longevity. You don't get that quantity if you don't sell well.
but the reason that isn't fair is because more people go to the movies in the modern world than they did in the past decades.
I don't know if that's true, but the point remains that it's a vastly different market than it used to be. Distribution has changed things a lot.
the companies simply don't put out as much merch or advertisement for DB
They would if it sold as well. And if it's niche, it's not as popular. You are contradicting yourself.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Bullza wrote:So the original thread that contained a link and information that showed the franchises sales and worth was locked.

And yet this thread which was made due to me referring to that original thread on the TV ratings thread and what doesn't contain any links or information at all was kept open instead....riiiight.
'Cuz that thread was 2 years old, admins here prefer people making new topics instead of bumping old topics.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:28 pm

I don't know about Dragon Ball but One Piece is surely as hell comparable to either Star Wars or Simpsons overall. It has made 240 million dollars of revenue annually on average since 2010.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:37 am

Trillions maybe?

So much so Toriyama's next 7 generation dont have to work for a living

Think about it. Battle of Gods & RoF broke worldwide record as highest grossing anime films. And these were during its arguably lowest phase (post GT, half-hearted Kai, Kai 2.0, putrid merchandise sales, Yamamoto plagiarism)

Just think what a monster it musta been during its peak (DB/Z films & OVA's alone musta raked billions) to speak nothing of the killing TOEI must've made outta video-games, toys, trading cards, DVD's, action figures. Add licensing as well as telecasting rights to Funi, Ocean, Big Green, Speedy etc

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:31 am

Vijay wrote:Trillions maybe?
No way has the franchise made trillions. Not in Yen or dollars.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:15 am

In terms of manga vs. comics, here is the list on how many issues/volumes have been sold:

1. Superman - 600+ Million
2. Batman - 460+ Million
3. Spider-Man - 360+ Million
4. One Piece - 345+ Million
5. X-Men - 270+ Million
6. Captain America - 210+ Million
7. Tintin - 200+ Million
8. Dragon Ball - 200 Million
9. The Phantom - 150 Million

Source:
http://whatculture.com/comics/9-best-se ... e%E2%80%8F
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:04 am

Guy, why does comic come into this?

Unless your trying to aggrandize Marvel/DC, I dont think your post contributes to what topic is about. Which is about the profit DB franchise has made

Apparently here in Singapore and Malaysia, manga/comics here has listed greatest Shounen and Non-Shounen manga that stated DB has sold over 500 million copies worldwide, with OP ranked second coming at 480 million, followed by others (Bleach, Naruto, AoT etc)

Which contradicates to the point you just mention: DB selling 200 million, while OP 345 million

Back to topic, unless someone frm TOEI or Bandai themself open their mouth by registering at Kanzenshuu, topics like this are equivalent to finding needle in ocean

We can only make assumptions based on DB's fame & staying-power (dare say, no anime comes close to Z when it comes to fandom that welcome any Z product with open-arms)

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 am

Vijay wrote:Guy, why does comic come into this?

Unless your trying to aggrandize Marvel/DC, I dont think your post contributes to what topic is about. Which is about the profit DB franchise has made

Apparently here in Singapore and Malaysia, manga/comics here has listed greatest Shounen and Non-Shounen manga that stated DB has sold over 500 million copies worldwide, with OP ranked second coming at 480 million, followed by others (Bleach, Naruto, AoT etc)

Which contradicates to the point you just mention: DB selling 200 million, while OP 345 million
No, other sources has Dragon Ball selling 240 Million copies (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ll/.107591)
and One Piece at 350 Million copies (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... de/.114254). Those were written this year.
As for the other link in my previous post, I should noted that that article was written in 2014.
Nonetheless, I did that to straighten those who have posted in lack of self-awareness regarding them being fans of the franchise.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:04 pm

A little tidbit I thought I would share: Toei Animation made 2.5 billion dollars in retail sales during 2016. And were ranked 28th on the list of the "Top 150 Global Licensors of 2016"

More info here.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:A little tidbit I thought I would share: Toei Animation made 2.5 billion dollars in retail sales during 2016. And were ranked 28th on the list of the "Top 150 Global Licensors of 2016"

More info here.
Thanks!

Ginyu-On-VHS

Post by Ginyu-On-VHS » Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 pm

idk prolly like 6 dollars

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 am

ABED wrote:
Depends on the environment. I'm sure most college students and adults will think of the poet first.
I'm still willing to bet that you are wrong. Even college kids who likely know who Homer is will first think Homer Simpson, especially from my generation.
Lmao you're correct. They have forgotten that this is the 21st century. You say Homer and literally everyone will think of Homer Simpson, not a poet.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.