Strange Dragon Ball DVD Releases on Amazon UK

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogito

Strange Dragon Ball DVD Releases on Amazon UK

Post by Gogito » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Hey guys I had to decided to try and buy the original Dragon Ball on DVD or Blu Ray and the only one Amazon UK had were these ones that looked similar to the blue bricks I had seen online but were yellow and for the season 4 DVD it used different artwork. And then on the fifth season it randomly went back to blue but had different artwork again this time showing Kid Goku instead of Teen Goku. I looked through DB wiki and the Kanzenshuu Home Release guide as well as Geekdom 101's Home Release Guide but found nothing. Does anyone have info??
Seasons 1-3 are all the same as regards to colour and artwork (artwork same as blue brick but yellow colour)
Link to season one (same artwork,different colour): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Se ... 6TP3700AXC
Link to season four(different artwork,different colour): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Season- ... Z8G2VQG0H0
Link to season five (different artwork,same colour): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Season- ... 6CA4SP70Z7

These seem to be the only ones available in the UK and I want my money's worth so does any one have any info??

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Strange Dragon Ball DVD Releases on Amazon UK

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 pm

That is just Amazon messing up, here is what Season 5 actually looks like:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

They are all yellow and yea some have different art work than the blue bricks, the remaster is completely different as it isn't a remaster it is taken from the old DB saga sets, so I think these are the better release anyway.

Gogito

Post by Gogito » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks so much man!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They are all yellow and yea some have different art work than the blue bricks, the remaster is completely different as it isn't a remaster it is taken from the old DB saga sets, so I think these are the better release anyway.
Except for the whole "Fortuneteller Baba saga episodes having problems displaying properly in Japanese" thing that the Madman R4 sets shared...and unlike those sets I don't think Manga UK ever bothered with replacement disks. You might want to supplement these uk releases with an R1 Fortuneteller Baba DVD set.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:36 am

Danfun64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They are all yellow and yea some have different art work than the blue bricks, the remaster is completely different as it isn't a remaster it is taken from the old DB saga sets, so I think these are the better release anyway.
Except for the whole "Fortuneteller Baba saga episodes having problems displaying properly in Japanese" thing that the Madman R4 sets shared...and unlike those sets I don't think Manga UK ever bothered with replacement disks. You might want to supplement these uk releases with an R1 Fortuneteller Baba DVD set.
Oh really? Haven't had a chance to grab these yet, what exactly is the issue?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
One episode doesn't have correct subtitles (it just has transcriptions of the dub-script rather than a proper translation) and there's apparently some playback glitch where if the language was set to Japanese on the menu, the DVD will somehow skip several chapters at the midway point of a certain episode to then take you to the midway point of a different episode instead. Or so I heard.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: Except for the whole "Fortuneteller Baba saga episodes having problems displaying properly in Japanese" thing that the Madman R4 sets shared...and unlike those sets I don't think Manga UK ever bothered with replacement disks. You might want to supplement these uk releases with an R1 Fortuneteller Baba DVD set.
One episode doesn't have correct subtitles (it just has transcriptions of the dub-script rather than a proper translation) and there's apparently some playback glitch where if the language was set to Japanese on the menu, the DVD will somehow skip several chapters at the midway point of a certain episode to then take you to the midway point of a different episode instead. Or so I heard.
Oh wow that's a pretty big over-sight especially since I'm sure MangaUK authored the discs themselves, but MangaUK do have a history of problems so not too surprising I guess.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:06 pm

IIRC, aside from some minor menu differences, they're quite literally just the same discs as the saga DVDs.

There's some debate about whether the singles are better than the bricks for DB and GT, so be glad you don't have to deal with that debate as a UK fan; both the singles/sagas and the seasons/bricks are the same content, just in different packaging. :)

As other say though, the Fortuneteller Baba saga has some issues, which can essentially be solved by just importing the american version for the two(Could be three, might even be one, but I think it's two) discs in question. Still, better than the Orange Bricks, am I right? 8)
Having said that, you're in luck if you're a dub fan, as the issues only affect the Japanese track.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gogito

Post by Gogito » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
IIRC, aside from some minor menu differences, they're quite literally just the same discs as the saga DVDs.

There's some debate about whether the singles are better than the bricks for DB and GT, so be glad you don't have to deal with that debate as a UK fan; both the singles/sagas and the seasons/bricks are the same content, just in different packaging. :)

As other say though, the Fortuneteller Baba saga has some issues, which can essentially be solved by just importing the american version for the two(Could be three, might even be one, but I think it's two) discs in question. Still, better than the Orange Bricks, am I right? 8)
Having said that, you're in luck if you're a dub fan, as the issues only affect the Japanese track.
I'm definitely no stranger to importing DBZ releases as the UK unfortunately have missed out on the Blu Ray season releases so it should be no problem :)

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote

They are all yellow and yea some have different art work than the blue bricks, the remaster is completely different as it isn't a remaster it is taken from the old DB saga sets, so I think these are the better release anyway.
But the DBZ Uk DVDs seem to have the Orange Bricks content, since a reviewer on the Amazon UK articel (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Se ... agonball+z) metioned the cropping issue. Fitingly they also keept the cooler from their US counterparts. Too bad they didn´t used the Dragon Box footage, that would have been cool.