Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I wouldn't have minded Sabat's Recoome if he used his Armstrong voice. It's a shame that he gave Jeice to Liebrecht though. Liebrecht's a good actor, but he sounds like a pansy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Scsigs wrote: Maybe if you listen to her consistently or speak Japanese, but to someone who doesn't, it's still hard to say that that's what's going on. It's still the same tone; an old woman trying to sound like men & a kid to me. I have nothing against her, but that's my experience.
okay if you don't like the voice then it's fine but we don't even need to learn to know Japanese to understand The Emotions and here I was referring to how Nozawa Differentiates her voice and Tone as its Quite Obvious how high she goes for Kid voice but even if she is speaking for Adult Gohan and Goku she clearly uses more Hick Tone and Slangs for Goku to show how uncivilized and uneducated mountain boy he is but for Gohan she uses Formal Japanese tone which is very close to her own natural Tone. I don't know how it sounds like a Granny to you but as they say to each their own.
Well, sort of. In all of the dubs, kid Goku & Gohan have had the same actress in most of the shows & movies; either Stephanie Nadolny, or Colleen Clinkenbeard depending on the years the show or movie was dubbed. The outlier is Goten being voiced by Kara Edwards instead, which I don't mind.
I was Specially Talking About The Kai Dubs except those 5 Second Flashbacks of Kid Goku with Collen's Voice, then we have 3 Different Person voicing Goku, Gohan and Goten. So, if they can find Michael Tatum for Zarbon, Chris Ayres for Freeza then why did they still stuck with Sabat for Yamcha and Piccolo. Try Listening to Yamcha's OG voice which doesn't sound anything like Sabat's Surfer Dude Yamcha and also, His Piccolo sure improved a lot but still all I hear is Chris Sabat's Deeper Voice that's it,there is no distinctiveness Like Toshio Furukawa voiced General Blue and Piccolo who are 2 Distinct Characters but still managed to Differentiate very well even Ocean Dub Voice Actor for Piccolo added an alien Touch to his voice but Sabat's is okay.
Because he has been for almost 20 years now & it'd be weird if he didn't. Also, which voices sound the same? Minus Porunga & Shenron & the Piccolos (which make sense because the younger one's a reincarnation of King Piccolo), I don't hear any similarities.
His Kami sounded just like his Grandpa Gohan voice and Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo maybe Relatives but they aren't exactly same character, Piccolo Daimao was way more Cold and Threatning than Piccolo and Possessed a More Ruthless Style to him and never had emotions for anyone unlike Piccolo who wanted to avenge his dad from start and showed more character and again,all Sabat did was use a Deeper Version of his Piccolo voice that's it. Now I am not saying he's a Bad Voice Actor but FUNimation could have tried giving someone else chance to do other voices.
Apparently they wanted Scott McNeil to voice Piccolo in Kai, but they couldn't afford it. In any case, his Piccolo has gotten better because it's not as gruff as it used to be & his Yamcha voice is pretty distinct from his other voices, so I don't see your point about recasting Yamcha. Plus, he's voiced Yamcha pretty consistently over the years. It'd be very weird to not hear that voice tone for him in the dub. Kami & Grandpa Gohan, I don't know. Recoome, I understand. The voice he gives him makes him sound retarded, but that might be the point with that. Personally, I don't mind it, but I do see the problems with it.
I personally think Sabat Should have only Stuck with Voicing Vegata,Bubbles and Shenron in newer dubs.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

His Kami sounded just like his Grandpa Gohan
It doesn't. It's a similar old man voice, but it's not JUST LIKE.

His Piccolo Daimao is much deeper and even gravellier.

Either you are writing in hyperbole or you are hearing things differently than I am.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

ABED wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Clinkenbeard just made Gohan Luffy. Whenever I hear Gohan talk in Kai, It reminds me of Luffy and I get so irritated lol.
Why does it irritate you that they sound alike?
Because I'm a big fan of One Piece so I would prefer It if It was just a one off voice thing. Kinda like Sean is too Goku.
Hearing Luffy In Gohan just doesn't do it for me and I get flashes of Luffy whenever Gohan speaks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Clinkenbeard just made Gohan Luffy. Whenever I hear Gohan talk in Kai, It reminds me of Luffy and I get so irritated lol.
Why does it irritate you that they sound alike?
Because I'm a big fan of One Piece so I would prefer It if It was just a one off voice thing. Kinda like Sean is too Goku.
Hearing Luffy In Gohan just doesn't do it for me and I get flashes of Luffy whenever Gohan speaks.
I don't care about One Piece. Even if I did, I wouldn't care if it was the same voice. It's a different show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 am

So because it doesn't bother you it shouldn't bother anyone? I don't understand what you're trying to get at, really. "Why does it bother you? Well it doesn't bother me." Good. I'm glad that it doesn't bother you. But if it bothers others, they don't have to provide a dissertation explaining why they feel that way; they just do. It's not like he wants to be irritated by it so he's picking at random things.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:26 am

ABED wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
ABED wrote: Why does it irritate you that they sound alike?
I don't care about One Piece. Even if I did, I wouldn't care if it was the same voice. It's a different show.
It would when the voice kinda sucks in the first place & grates on your ears pretty easily. No joke, my opinion on Colleen's young male voice is that, it's not too annoying as Luffy, but it IS as Gohan, mostly because it's higher pitched as Gohan & has absolutely NO gravel to it. Nadolny had gravel in her young male voice, yet even when Clinkenbeard deepens her voice, she doesn't have any in her voice at all. I just figured that out. Compared to a lot of other females that voice male kids, she doesn't. That works enough for extremely young males, but NOT for teenage/tweenage kids. That's also why I hate her vicing Goku, especially compared to Nadolny. Nadolny captured Goku's character well & Clinkenbeard, I just don't feel the same, even with the more accurate translation she's been getting.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 am

ABED wrote:
His Kami sounded just like his Grandpa Gohan
It doesn't. It's a similar old man voice, but it's not JUST LIKE.

His Piccolo Daimao is much deeper and even gravellier.

Either you are writing in hyperbole or you are hearing things differently than I am.
His Kami voice should have been similar to Piccolo Daimao voice like in Japanese because they are same beings.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 am

Nadolny had gravel in her young male voice
Is that trait in the plus column?

Nadolny captured nothing. She's not a good actress. The Goofy voice and odd cadence doesn't capture the character.
His Kami voice should have been similar to Piccolo Daimao voice like in Japanese because they are same beings.
That's valid, but Piccolo Daimao is a demon. He's not just a split off Namekian. He's literally evil incarnate, so I think it's valid that the voice is different. They're two valid interpretations.
they don't have to provide a dissertation explaining why they feel that way; they just do
Never claimed they did need to write a dissertation, but an explanation would be nice. This is a discussion forum after all. I simply don't understand why an actor can't use the same voice for two completely different series. I know different strokes for different folks, but I do find that view asinine. Why would it irritate anyone for voice actors to use the same voice more than once? Can they never use the same voice again?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:48 am

ABED wrote:
they don't have to provide a dissertation explaining why they feel that way; they just do
Never claimed they did need to write a dissertation, but an explanation would be nice. This is a discussion forum after all. I simply don't understand why an actor can't use the same voice for two completely different series. I know different strokes for different folks, but I do find that view asinine. Why would it irritate anyone for voice actors to use the same voice more than once? Can they never use the same voice again?
As I said, that's great for you. What "explanation" are you looking for? It's subjective. What more do you want someone to tell you? I might ask you why you don't think Nadolny captured Gohan's character and everything you said, I could return with "But why?" You'll see that it gets irritating after a while having to constantly justify your opinion. There's no scientific reason for why you like or do not like something. It's just not discussion-worthy; there's nothing to say beyond "It bugs me that the same voice is used in different shows." Just because you're not a fan doesn't mean that others don't watch One Piece just as much, if not more, than Dragon Ball and quite honestly, it's annoying to not have that solid, unique voice for a character. These are voice actors who change their voice for a living; it's not like they're acting physically, so all they have to do is change up the voice a bit more. There are plenty of roles where you hear the voice and recognize it, but One Piece and Dragon Ball are very similar genres, style, and share a fan base, so that's annoying. It's not the same as someone voicing an anime character the same way as a Sesame Street character, for example.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 am

What "explanation" are you looking for? It's subjective.
Yes, and I want HIS subjective opinion. Perhaps it gets irritating, but don't speak for them. If they get annoyed, then fine
I might ask you why you don't think Nadolny captured Gohan's character and everything you said, I could return with "But why?"
And I would return with she's not a good actress. I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth as Goku. It's too fake.
there's nothing to say beyond "It bugs me that the same voice is used in different shows."
Says you. And it's not a VA's job to change their voice for a living. Their job is to act with their voice. If the voice they use sounds the same for two different characters, then they've done their job. The techniques might be different, but the job of an actor is always the same - to embody a character and make them feel real within the context of the fictional world.
It's not the same as someone voicing an anime character the same way as a Sesame Street character, for example.
It's exactly the same.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Colleen's Gohan wasn't too bad I thought her voice did well for Gohan. As for Goku, I don't think she captures the innocent or naive Goku well like Nadoly did.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Colleen's Gohan wasn't too bad I thought her voice did well for Gohan. As for Goku, I don't think she captures the innocent or naive Goku well like Nadoly did.
Nadolny would have to a good actor to capture any of those things. She's way too busy sounding goofy to sound sincerely naïve.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:44 pm

ABED wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Colleen's Gohan wasn't too bad I thought her voice did well for Gohan. As for Goku, I don't think she captures the innocent or naive Goku well like Nadoly did.
Nadolny would have to a good actor to capture any of those things. She's way too busy sounding goofy to sound sincerely naïve.
Too each their own
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I honestly don't mind Clinkenbeard using her Luffy voice for Gohan.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I honestly don't mind Clinkenbeard using her Luffy voice for Gohan.
It's not really her Luffy voice, I watched a few dubbed new world episodes and her Luffy is significantly more gruff and raspy than her cell games Gohan.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I honestly don't mind Clinkenbeard using her Luffy voice for Gohan.
It's not really her Luffy voice, I watched a few dubbed new world episodes and her luffy is significantly more gruff and raspy.
Well, you could say that it's a raspier version of her Luffy voice.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
It's not really her Luffy voice, I watched a few dubbed new world episodes and her luffy is significantly more gruff and raspy.
Pretty much, but I honestly wish she would tone down the raspiness a bit for luffy
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 am

Honestly, while Clinkenbeard's Luffy and Gohan have similarities, I also find them to be distinct voices with subtle differences in sound and wholly different deliveries. I find her Luffy to sound more wild, deep, and raspier while her Gohan is more high-pitched, reserved, and kind-sounding. Her Luffy is more obnoxious (in a good way since it suits his character) while her Gohan is more polite. While I can tell it's Clinkenbeard doing both voices, when placed side by side I can tell who she's playing at any given moment thanks to these differences and I still like her in both roles. It's like any other actor for me. Take Billy West for example - I can tell it's him as the Red M&M and Fry from Futurama, but I don't mind since they're different enough and he's good in both roles.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Pretty much, but I honestly wish she would tone down the raspiness a bit for luffy
Yeah, she can be a bit grating with the rasp.