Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: I'm not saying either variant is without criticism, It's just from what I've noticed, people tend to not compare the original's strengths vs Kai's strengths. It's always comparing the worst to the strength of Kai.
Kai's strengths are all around though. Literally every single thing there is well acted. I still think King Kai's meh, but that's voice wise. The in-house cast is experienced and almost every line is delivered awesomely.

Z's scenes are badly acted in nearly all of the pre-Buu saga content. And that's well over 120 episodes!
I feel differently, Kai has issues as well.

Listen to Android 16's voice, or Cell's voice. Cell's voice when he says "I'd much rather tear the rage out of him" sounds so bad to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9to4tbQ11LU

Vegeta's muffled voice and overly strained compared to the original during Final Flash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jBJBVfLnI

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I'd rather have 16's Kai voice over his Z voice. He's still no Hikaru Midorikawa though. And Clarke is much better in Kai than he was in Z. He had some good moments in Z, but he also had his awkward ones.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Kokonoe wrote: I feel differently, Kai has issues as well.

Listen to Android 16's voice, or Cell's voice. Cell's voice when he says "I'd much rather tear the rage out of him" sounds so bad to me.

Vegeta's muffled voice and overly strained compared to the original during Final Flash.
Not seeing the problems with the voices or delivery. 16's voice is a pretty big improvement from his Z one, where he was annoyingly stoic and robotic.

As for the Final Flash scene, I think it's a lot better. Sabat no longer sounds like a dude taking a dump and more like proud Saiyan prince whose pride just got shattered.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Once again, we shouldn't let random people that have annoyed us become the basis for discussing this series. If we go on that end, I could very well mention all of the times people don't even give a dub a chance because they think the only thing that can be done right is Japanese. I could also go on about how people could be "nostalgic" (bleck hate that term) for enjoying even the Japanese variant cause that is what they first grew up with. It would be far wiser to just respect that none of our opinions are factually correct and allow others to have their views without stipulations such as "nostalgia" or "they first grew up with".
Except that, factually, & objectively from every angle, Kai's dub is superior. Voice acting, scripting, translation. It's objectively better on all of those accounts. The only thing holding someone back from acknowledging that is one who's afflicted by nostalgia. I don't give one single shit if anyone enjoys Z's dub unironically, to each their own, but don't sit there & not acknowledge the strengths Kai has over it if you're one of them, not that I'm saying you are.
"Nostalgia" is the EXACT term to use in situations like these most of the time. It exists because someone enjoyed something years ago, but years later it doesn't exactly hold the same stature it once had, nor was it particularly good when it aired. The people who've liked it since they were kids & still do & like it more than Kai have nostalgia as part as their reasoning
Kokonoe wrote:Just because you deem something is quality doesn't mean it factually is quality, it all comes down to subjective opinions in the end. The way something sounds, the way something is executed, the color of something, the processing of something. I mean, you have people that prefer JPN Kai over the original JPN Z for reasons such as voices and music. You can also have reasons for said opinions, just as anyone who prefers the original ENG dub can have their reasons, but let's stop with the whole implying everyone is biased for thinking something is better than you or others opinions on this subject, or there being some kind of biased reason for them to think this way. It's doing no one any favors and all it leads to is petty squabbles. If someone thinks ENG Kai dub is the best, that's okay, if someone thinks JPN's dub is the best, that's okay, if someone thinks Portuguese dub is the best, that's okay.

Everyone is equal is here, we just share very different views.
Yeah, we share different views. That's not what's being argued against here. Kai's dub is objectively better. That's not exactly the word of the land, but it's many of us being objective & analyzing the dubs & comparing them, as we're free to do.
If people like the Portuguese dub of Z, more power to them, if someone prefers either English dub, great, if someone prefers the original Japanese, I'm not gonna stop them. People are going to have differing opinions, yes, & they're no less valid than the other. However, it's the reasonings that people can fight about & Z's dub is definitely a nostalgic kind of dub for many.
You want strengths compared to strengths? The scene with Goku's "I am" speech comes to mind. The original's fairly ok in the acting, but the lines leave something to be desired https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgL-RKRRJ5E Kai's translation is MUCH better & it's better acted too. Then there's the scene where Goku goes Super Saiyan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ-f06vdPN0. Check the comments section, most of them agree Kai's is better than Z's. Even Tea Four Star's versions are objectively better & they were amateurs at the time! I could find more, but we'll be here all day.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: I'm not saying either variant is without criticism, It's just from what I've noticed, people tend to not compare the original's strengths vs Kai's strengths. It's always comparing the worst to the strength of Kai.
Kai's strengths are all around though. Literally every single thing there is well acted. I still think King Kai's meh, but that's voice wise. The in-house cast is experienced and almost every line is delivered awesomely.

Z's scenes are badly acted in nearly all of the pre-Buu saga content. And that's well over 120 episodes!
I feel differently, Kai has issues as well.

You kidding? 16's is MUCH better. Though I DO question the use of the voice filter to make him sound more robotic, since they didn't do that with Z, or in the original Japanese, but since they did the same thinng with 19, I get where they wwere going. Cell's I could maybe give you, but only for the end of one of his lines. Other than that, Clark's very much better as well.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Sometimes you gotta know when to GO, GO, GO!!!

~Jheese, Z Dub Episode 68
That's where the case was closed for me.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Like Scsigs said, we really are gonna be here all day if we wanna compare important moments. I could talk about how bad Nadolny's performance was in the original dub version of Gohan vs Second Form Freeza compared to Clinkenbeard's fierce in the Kai take. Or how Sean Schemmel does a much more believable and angrier take on the SS Goku transformation in Kai compared to his OK-ish one in Z.

Don't even get me started on Vegeta.

The man sounds practically like he has a bad case of strep throat in the original dub and half of his scenes have him boasting uncharacteristically cheesy wannabe hardcore threats with nothing to back em up. Kai actually widens his vocab a bit and gives him a sort of royal attitude and actually gives him lines that don't sound like they were made up by an 8 year old who watched too many trash Saturday morning cartoons.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am

Bansho64 wrote:

i think Boo Saga dub wasn't that special too, There were many instances where Sean sounded monotonous and at times like Ian Corlett
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:54 am

Scsigs wrote:Even Team Four Star's versions are objectively better & they were amateurs at the time! I could find more, but we'll be here all day.
Yeah, no. I agree with mostly everything you said, but that.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:Except that, factually, & objectively from every angle,Kai's dub is superior. Voice acting, scripting, translation. It's objectively better on all of those accounts. The only thing holding someone back from acknowledging that is one who's afflicted by nostalgia
Are you really saying that it is factually better in every single way?

Are you really saying the only reason to not share your view on this subject is that the person is nostalgic?

Isn't this forum above such statements? I see people agreeing with you too, as if this should be the norm. Dear god, man. I have watched multiple variants of this show, people can decide something without nostalgia being in the way.

Please stop assuming other people's reasoning for them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Nostalgia is a perfectly fine emotion. I think everyone should stop running from that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:06 pm

ABED wrote:Nostalgia is a perfectly fine emotion. I think everyone should stop running from that.
I think people should stop running from the fact that someone might actually like the Funi Dub Z without nostalgia.

And people need to stop using "nostalgia" as a filler for a reason someone disagrees with them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:Nostalgia is a perfectly fine emotion. I think everyone should stop running from that.
I think people should stop running from the fact that someone might actually like the Funi Dub Z without nostalgia.

And people need to stop using "nostalgia" as a filler for a reason someone disagrees with them.
This isn't about whether you or anyone like it. Anyone can like it, this is whether it's better than Kai and the Z dub is not better by any objective standard. It's fine if someone likes it, but it's as though many of its fans refuse to acknowledge its considerable flaws.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 am

ABED wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:

This isn't about whether you or anyone like it. Anyone can like it, this is whether it's better than Kai and the Z dub is not better by any objective standard. It's fine if someone likes it, but it's as though many of its fans refuse to acknowledge its considerable flaws.
People like Like "TeengohanFighter","The Common Sense Man","stay frosty" or "TheSSUltimateGoku" on YouTube are Example of nostalgia blinded Z Fanboys who constantly spread the hate for Kai and Japanese Version everytime infact the one by the name "The Common Sense Man" uploaded a video about worst dubs ever and puts Kai dub in it...Facepalm here is the link : https://t.co/SLhIvmKCyF
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: I think people should stop running from the fact that someone might actually like the Funi Dub Z without nostalgia.

People like Like "TeengohanFighter","The Common Sense Man","stay frosty" or "TheSSUltimateGoku" on YouTube are Example of nostalgia blinded Z Fanboys who constantly spread the hate for Kai and Japanese Version everytime infact the one by the name "The Common Sense Man" uploaded a video about worst dubs ever and puts Kai dub in it...Facepalm here is the link : https://t.co/SLhIvmKCyF
SSUltimateGoku. THAT'S who I had my argument with! Couldn't remember his name when I brought that story up. That guy's some ungodly mix of a fanboy, nostalgia brat, copycat (since he tried to copy the format I was responding to him in & doing it rather poorly), illiterate (since he makes a lot of elementary spelling & grammar mistakes), & just a person who acts first before thinking something through. I've NEVER been so frustrated in an argument with someone who seems like a troll, but is actually legitimate in their own bullshit rants. My god, that guy.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:This isn't about whether you or anyone like it. Anyone can like it, this is whether it's better than Kai and the Z dub is not better by any objective standard. It's fine if someone likes it, but it's as though many of its fans refuse to acknowledge its considerable flaws.
SSUltimateGoku. THAT'S who I had my argument with! Couldn't remember his name when I brought that story up. That guy's some ungodly mix of a fanboy, nostalgia brat, copycat (since he tried to copy the format I was responding to him in & doing it rather poorly), illiterate (since he makes a lot of elementary spelling & grammar mistakes), & just a person who acts first before thinking something through. I've NEVER been so frustrated in an argument with someone who seems like a troll, but is actually legitimate in their own bullshit rants. My god, that guy.
SSUltimateGoku is TeenGohanFighter. Also, he is on this forum under the name Gokuisasuperhero and started the Bruce
come back thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38175

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 am

simtek34 wrote:SSUltimateGoku is TeenGohanFighter. Also, he is on this forum under the name Gokuisasuperhero and started the Bruce come back thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38175
For god's sake, as if things couldn't get worse.
Update: God, I just read his first reply to TheBlackPaladin & Kokonoe. It's cringe-worthy, his spelling errors & fanboyisms. Blech!
Just read more. VegettoEX FTW! "Boarderline-incomprehensible" is EXACTLY the term I'd use to describe his terrible typing skills! (Now I kinda feel bad for him reading about his disability, but if you read his posts yourselves, that's EXACTLY how he typed & acted when we had our argument).

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:11 am

simtek34 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
SSUltimateGoku is TeenGohanFighter. Also, he is on this forum under the name Gokuisasuperhero and started the Bruce
come back thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38175
Lol I was just thinking the same now that you confirmed that Gokuisasuperhero was TeengohanFighter it makes sense

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I came up with an example that I think is very illustrative about my points regarding objective standards in art - VHS versus Betamax. Both formats had their strengths and weaknesses. Betamax's picture and sound quality were objectively better and VHS had the advantage of recording length and price. Which format one prefers depends solely on the person's preferences and the weights they give to those attributes.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:39 pm

As someone who has grown more appreciative of the japanese score and liking Falcouner score for it's good points, I think it's possible to enjoy both, but saying falcouner only suits DBZ is definetly blinded by nostalgia.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy