Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:40 am

I know there have been a ton of these threads, but I figured I would continue a discussion from another thread in a more appropriate location
thaman91 wrote:
ABED wrote:
No, but there still don't appear to be well-defined criteria.
Yeah there does. Objectivity is about recognizing there's a reality that exists independent of people's opinions, and the way one acquires knowledge of it is through logic and reason.
Objectivity as a general concept is real. The problem is that "good" is inherently an opinionated thing. You can objectively talk about how well a DVD is encoded, because there are concrete ways to measure that. You can define your criteria for judging something as "how close is this translated from the source material" and then objectively make conclusions about that. But when your criteria is how "good" something is....well, then no amount of logic and reasoning can evade that fact that it's rooted in subjectivity. Going back to the criteria of "how close is this translated from the source material", you can subjectively define that as your definition of "good" and then use logic and reasoning to argue how close something is to the source material. However, the very foundations of your position are still just opinions.
No it's married to good dialogue that fits the visuals and the dub versions of the characters. It complements the dialogue well and creates themes that enhance what's happening on screen. Though I'll admit that there's probably some truth to the producers not trusting the rest of the show enough and trying to over-compensate with constant music. Once in a while, I do wish it would be silent. But for the most part, it's not an issue.
It is objectively bad dialog. The dialog clashes with the characters and the visuals. If Goku is supposedly this superhero as the dub would like you to believe, why is he letting bad guys go all the time?
It's not objectively bad dialogue and it doesn't clash with the characters and visuals. As for your question, maybe it's because he still has a bit of Japanese Goku in him. And that makes for an interesting dub experience. We are introduced to Goku as this supposedly selfless guy who always does the right thing. But throughout the show, there are moments where he admits that he likes fighting. And it's fascinating to see that by the Buu arc, it becomes very obvious that he does things just for fighting's sake or pride. From a dub-only perspective, it makes for an interesting discussion. Did Goku become less and less pure as the series goes on? Or was he always like this? Or did he simply begin to embrace his Saiyan heritage more? Either way, I find it to be a compelling journey from beginning to end (that is, beginning of Z dub to end of Z dub).
sometimes traded sentence fluency for accuracy.
Other than Freeza, can you recall another instance of this?
Yes I can. I've already posted it, but here it is again:

Old dub, Vegeta says: "Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?!"
Kai dub, Vegeta says: "I am curious, are androids capable of feeling anything akin to real fear?!"

To me, the Kai line is more clunky. And the Kai dub is full of these kinds of lines. Maybe they're more true to the original versions of the characters, but I think that they're sometimes too sophisticated and information-heavy, and sound somewhat unnatural, despite the better voice acting. And again, to reiterate, I still love Kai and how it brings the show closer to the spirit of the original.
The Vegeta example isn't clunky. An argument might be made that it's not as direct, but it's not clunky just reading it and I don't recall the delivery being bad either. When a lot of Kai detractors point to Kai's use of overly flowery dialog, they will point to Freeza's dialog. To them, I say that it's a nice bit of characterization and differentiates Freeza as someone who says 40 words when 4 would do because he's erudite and loves to hear himself speak.

What's your basis for saying "good is inherently subjective"?

Lastly, Goku's dialog does clash with the visuals. Of course the dub Goku will have Japanese Goku (i.e. the actual Goku) in him as the visuals and story dictate that regardless of whatever dialog the dub puts in his mouth. You are trying so hard to justify the change as creating some new experience instead of seeing it for what it is - the US producers trying to impose western ethics on a character who doesn't live by that code and never did. That compelling journey isn't even a journey on the dub's terms. It's purely a contradiction created by the dub writers.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 am

In terms of acting and accuracy the Kai dub wins.

In terms of overall appeal for someone like me who isn't bothered about accuracy but simply cares about whether they enjoy what they're watching, it's gotta be the Z dub. I like the Z dub more largely for the Team Faulconer music, but I also prefer the dialogue in certain scenes like the Kaioken x20 scene, and Gohan's beam struggle with Cell. I'm also not particularly bothered by the corny dialogue, sometimes finding it funny and other times being indifferent to it.

The Kai dub is great if you're a purist and is also great as a standalone product. To be honest I think the whole plagiarism scandal really hurt it at times, with the Kikuchi placement being way too limited. The Yamamoto score was much better than the Kikuchi replacement in my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Final Chapters with the new score.

Ultimately I'd recommend that anyone getting into the series take the time to watch both and draw their own conclusions, rather than telling them what they're supposed to like more.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:32 am

Old dub, Vegeta says: "Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?!"
Kai dub, Vegeta says: "I am curious, are androids capable of feeling anything akin to real fear?!"
The kai dub is definitely more Americanized. Anyway that's not a bad thing, its a cultural thing.

Western shows/movies really love short, direct catchphrases. "I'll be back! Hasta La Vista Baby!
Here's a list of american ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_catchphrases

By contrast anime and Japanese phrases tend to be long and declarative. "I will destroy that messed up illusion of yours!"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CatchPhrase/Anime

That's not to say this is a hard and fast rule, but there is certainly a tendency for western catchphrases to be short, concise, to the point, full of punch, gritty, and "low brow".
Personally I like and prefer the that style. In the example above the old dub line is very macho action trope-like. Its something Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stalone would say.
The latter if far too sophisticated and more likely appeals more to Japanese audiences as it appears more well put together and clever.

So different strokes for different folks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:05 am

The Vegeta line in Kai is far superior. The Z dub line is very simplistic and Sabat's delivery falls flat. I'd say the "flowery" dialogue in Kai adds to the scene as it makes it feel that much more charismatic and you can hear the passion in Sabat's performance.

The same goes for Goku's transformation in Z and Kai. Labelling Freeza as a "ruthless, heartless bastard" was more natural given the fact Goku was seeing his best friend blown up before his eyes rather than just angrily asserting "I won't let you get away with this". Schemmel's scream was also more refined in the Kai version.

I could list many examples, but having watched both dubs several times over I can say with certainty the Kai dub is the better product in every regard, and I can't wait to see the rest of the Buu saga.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:The Vegeta line in Kai is far superior. The Z dub line is very simplistic and Sabat's delivery falls flat. I'd say the "flowery" dialogue in Kai adds to the scene as it makes it feel that much more charismatic and you can hear the passion in Sabat's performance.

The same goes for Goku's transformation in Z and Kai. Labelling Freeza as a "ruthless, heartless bastard" was more natural given the fact Goku was seeing his best friend blown up before his eyes rather than just angrily asserting "I won't let you get away with this". Schemmel's scream was also more refined in the Kai version.

I could list many examples, but having watched both dubs several times over I can say with certainty the Kai dub is the better product in every regard, and I can't wait to see the rest of the Buu saga.
Sorry have to disagree with you. "flowery" dialogue is one of my most hated troupes in movies, comics, and especially anime. Long winded out of place monologues and declarations were always bizarre in a heated life threatening situation. But to each their own. I for one generally look at lines like the kai dub in disgust.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:41 am

I took my nostalgia goggles off and truly saw how poorly dubbed a lot of the androids and Frieza saga was especially script wise. Clinkenbeard is way more dynamic and engaging a voice for Gohan, a few times I tried and just kept hearing Luffy. But it is actually more different than I realised.

Pretty much all of the actors have improved drastically. I just watched a comparison of Goku meeting Krillin at the 25th Budokai in kai v the original dub, I couldn't believe how flat and nasally Sonny Strait used to act him.

One big issue I have is the lack of consistency with android 18, I have no problem with either of her voices, but it disjarring going into BoG and Super with her old voice, especially having Buu Kai dub out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:17 am

TheMikado wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:The Vegeta line in Kai is far superior. The Z dub line is very simplistic and Sabat's delivery falls flat. I'd say the "flowery" dialogue in Kai adds to the scene as it makes it feel that much more charismatic and you can hear the passion in Sabat's performance.

Sorry have to disagree with you. "flowery" dialogue is one of my most hated troupes in movies, comics, and especially anime. Long winded out of place monologues and declarations were always bizarre in a heated life threatening situation. But to each their own. I for one generally look at lines like the kai dub in disgust.
I get your point, but I don't think the line was that flowery. What monologues or declarations are you referring to in either DB or another show?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 am

TheMikado wrote:
The kai dub is definitely more Americanized. Anyway that's not a bad thing, its a cultural thing.
This is an interesting example because both versions are pretty good translations. The exact line in Japanese is:
知りたいもんだ・・・貴様ら人造人間でも恐怖に怯えるかどうか・・・

Lit.: There's something I've wanted to know, can you android bastards be seized by fear?
So, neither line exactly matches the Japanese words, but the literal translation is too clunky anyway. I think Kai's version is technically more correct because it fits the entirety of the Japanese line better. But really I like both lines. I never expect a localized version to match the original dialog entirely; as long as the important words remain intact and the extra lines fit the tone of the scene. I'm not too familiar with Kai's dub, but Resurrection F has some great original dialog like "All hail Vegeta, prince of no one." I enjoy lines like that because even though it's directed at a Western audience, it's intelligently written to preserve the tone of the scene.
90sDBZ wrote:The Kai dub is great if you're a purist and is also great as a standalone product. To be honest I think the whole plagiarism scandal really hurt it at times, with the Kikuchi placement being way too limited. The Yamamoto score was much better than the Kikuchi replacement in my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Final Chapters with the new score.
Yes, I think the Yamamoto score is part of what made Kai the better product. I love the Kikuchi score, but it's jarring to hear tracks I've associated with the Buu saga be haphazardly inserted into the Android saga.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:53 am

ABED wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

I get your point, but I don't think the line was that flowery. What monologues or declarations are you referring to in either DB or another show?
I posted a link earlier that has some, but the first one on that list is "I will destroy that messed up illusion of yours!"
No I don't have problems with them in and of themselves, but the lines should 100% be character specific. If the character saying the line above is more sophisticated that line is fine, if they are more low brow then it becomes out of place.

I'm going to break down the Old Dub and Kai Dub as to why it fits Vegeta's character better.

1) Vegeta LOVES to name call and belittle opponents especially in battle. The guy literally name calls on everyone. He reduces the androids down to "machines" like a car or a power tool.
2) "I'm am curious" implies Vegeta is wondering about something. Vegeta often dismisses his enemies to the point of saying they aren't worth worrying or thinking about.
3) Vegeta is being more respectful then he should be considering his character. As much as possible his works should diminish his opponent.

The example I love to use, cheezy as it is, is Vegeta's line in GT.
"Your power level is so low, on your best day you couldn't even fight a cold."
Lol, that line is sooo Vegeta and sooo cocky it's hilarious and just a reminder of how much Vegeta is a natural @$$hole.
Anyway, indiscriminately translating the lines is not doing anyone justice. The exact words in japanese which would carry different culturally and personality weight do not seem to be considered here. I think the original dub is more true to the spirt of what they "interpreted" the characters to be from an Americanized perspective. Whether that's accurate or not is debatable, but the word choices and phrasing used are definitely not straight one to one translations word by word or sentence but sentence. They are clearly in the context and the spirit of the overarching presentation they want to make of the character.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 am

LuckyCat wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
This is an interesting example because both versions are pretty good translations. The exact line in Japanese is:
知りたいもんだ・・・貴様ら人造人間でも恐怖に怯えるかどうか・・・

Lit.: There's something I've wanted to know, can you android bastards be seized by fear?
So, neither line exactly matches the Japanese words, but the literal translation is too clunky anyway. I think Kai's version is technically more correct because it fits the entirety of the Japanese line better. But really I like both lines. I never expect a localized version to match the original dialog entirely; as long as the important words remain intact and the extra lines fit the tone of the scene. I'm not too familiar with Kai's dub, but Resurrection F has some great original dialog like "All hail Vegeta, prince of no one." I enjoy lines like that because even though it's directed at a Western audience, it's intelligently written to preserve the tone of the scene.
90sDBZ wrote:The Kai dub is great if you're a purist and is also great as a standalone product. To be honest I think the whole plagiarism scandal really hurt it at times, with the Kikuchi placement being way too limited. The Yamamoto score was much better than the Kikuchi replacement in my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Final Chapters with the new score.
Yes, I think the Yamamoto score is part of what made Kai the better product. I love the Kikuchi score, but it's jarring to hear tracks I've associated with the Buu saga be haphazardly inserted into the Android saga.
Thank you for that, this is exactly what I was thinking when I said the spirit of Vegeta being dismissive was captured so much better from its original context. Vegeta was clearly being dismissive when calling the androids by name. He literally is name calling them right in that sentence. The kai dub misses the spirit in favor for a more direct one to one translation. It looks like they were both restrained by the usage of foul language but the original dub too a more creative route to expressing the same or similar levels of arrogance that Vegeta encapsulates. Basically they took their time to make sure it was in line with the character they wanted to portray.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm

thaman91 wrote:
From a writing perspective, the original Z dub line is the winner. This line gave me chills when I heard it as I was experiencing the Android arc for the first time. It's more direct and much colder than the kai line which is just clunky at best. That was one of the few lines I was looking forward to hearing again when I watched Kai but was let down when it turned out to be so bad.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 pm

"I'm curious" isn't him being respectful. It's a generic saying that can mean anything depending on context. As I recall, his delivery doesn't imply him actually wondering what the answer is. It's very possible for anyone to belittle someone while rhetorically adding "I'm curious" to the beginning of their statement.
the kai line which is just clunky at best
I don't hear clunky in the least. It's a tad long, whereas the literal translation is clunky. When I read the Kai line, I hear a flow to it. The literal translation sounds odd even in my head.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:57 pm

ABED wrote:"I'm curious" isn't him being respectful. It's a generic saying that can mean anything depending on context. As I recall, his delivery doesn't imply him actually wondering what the answer is. It's very possible for anyone to belittle someone while rhetorically adding "I'm curious" to the beginning of their statement.
I don't hear clunky in the least. It's a tad long, whereas the literal translation is clunky. When I read the Kai line, I hear a flow to it. The literal translation sounds odd even in my head.
I guess it up to individuals. In the original he calls them "Android bastard", going back to the name calling thing that Vegeta is famous for. The kai dub simply calls them "Androids" which isn't a slur at all because that's what they are.
The dub calls them "machines" in a condescending way hearkening back to Vegeta's tendency to name call. I personally feel its more true to the character but everyone may not agree.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:05 pm

It can still be condescending even if he doesn't call them names. It's dependent on delivery. Regardless of this specific line, there's the occassional line that Z does well or better than Kai, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, Z's dialog is awful because it's generic, out of character, hammy, some combination of the three, etc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

TheMikado wrote:
ABED wrote:"I'm curious" isn't him being respectful. It's a generic saying that can mean anything depending on context. As I recall, his delivery doesn't imply him actually wondering what the answer is. It's very possible for anyone to belittle someone while rhetorically adding "I'm curious" to the beginning of their statement.
I guess it up to individuals. In the original he calls them "Android bastard", going back to the name calling thing that Vegeta is famous for. The kai dub simply calls them "Androids" which isn't a slur at all because that's what they are.
The dub calls them "machines" in a condescending way hearkening back to Vegeta's tendency to name call. I personally feel its more true to the character but everyone may not agree.
I would argue the Kai line is still condescending. The "I'm curious" line comes across as a snarky, disingenuous dig. Yes Vegeta mightn't be directly name calling in the scene but its not necessary, the meaning of the line (which is more or less the same) and the acting gets the point across. It still shows Vegeta for what he is - an arrogant, confident, proudly professed super elite. The flow of the Kai line also adds a lot because it compliments Sabat's delivery, the Z line doesn't hold together as well because the writing and acting (a good performance requires the strength of both, its a symbiotic relationship) were both lacking. The original Z dub line does portray Vegeta's name calling antics but that's all it has going for it, it misses the mark on Vegeta's cockiness and as a result its not as strong (from an acting standpoint) as the Kai line.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Or what he said.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm

This is definitely an agree to disagree moment. I don't see anything of value the kai dub added which the old dub didn't also do. The most I'm gathering is that the acting is better on the kai dub, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the line itself? The line, if spoken with equal competence, the dub line seems better suited. I'm just not getting anything more from that line at all. There's no phrasing that stands out or makes a clear difference from the dub line.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm

To summarize, the Z dub line was very bland, whereas the Kai line added more character because the way the dialogue is written shows Vegeta is more than just a typical anti-hero. The acting could have been just as good in the Z dub but the lack of depth in the line wouldn't allow it to work as well, which often happens in film. The Star Wars prequels had some decent acting without good dialogue to back it up.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:09 pm

90sDBZ wrote:In terms of acting and accuracy the Kai dub wins.

In terms of overall appeal for someone like me who isn't bothered about accuracy but simply cares about whether they enjoy what they're watching, it's gotta be the Z dub. I like the Z dub more largely for the Team Faulconer music, but I also prefer the dialogue in certain scenes like the Kaioken x20 scene, and Gohan's beam struggle with Cell. I'm also not particularly bothered by the corny dialogue, sometimes finding it funny and other times being indifferent to it.

The Kai dub is great if you're a purist and is also great as a standalone product. To be honest I think the whole plagiarism scandal really hurt it at times, with the Kikuchi placement being way too limited. The Yamamoto score was much better than the Kikuchi replacement in my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Final Chapters with the new score.
I understand why you like FUNi's dbz dub more than Kai. But something I dont get is why there is this mentality of being okay with an unfaithful dub. When I watch the Spanish Latin American dubs of The Lion King, Toy Story, Rocky, First Blood, etc I expect them to be as accurate as possible. Because that's the point of dubs(at least to me). Dubs should be accurate representations in your language. A very good Latin American dub actor, I cant remember his name, said that he sees dubs as simply very expensive translations. And to a certain degree, I agree. Dubs should be and are that. Why would you want an inaccurate adaptation of a movie, cartoon, anime, tv series etc? I'm not saying dubs should be full of cheap voice imitations with literal translated scripts. Of course dub actors can sound different than the original as long as they capture the character's personality. They can also add a little bit of their own style to the character but they shouldn't create a new one. The scripts also need to be adapted for a different aduiance. So jokes and idioms need to be adapted for that certain region. But in the end, a dub should be faithful to its source. Because when I watch Rocky dubbed in Spanish, I want to watch that movie not some cheap re-imagining with changed character personalities, changed musical score and unfaithful dialogue. I want to watch Rocky but simply in my native language. Before you say that I should just watch subs then, I don't need or want to watch subs when there are faithful adaptations available. And I hear this a lot, but wanting to enjoy a show dubbed as accurate as possible in your native language doesn't make you a purist.
Ultimately I'd recommend that anyone getting into the series take the time to watch both and draw their own conclusions, rather than telling them what they're supposed to like more.
I recommend Kai to newcomers. It's just a better dub. Honesty, the FUNi in-house dub of z is not good. It was voiced by amateur actors, had a lot of script changes, had unfaithful character protrayals and it had a replaced score. We can enjoy something as much as we want, but liking it or prefering it doesn't make it it good.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 pm

The Kai line is way better, while the Z line is just too bland.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.