Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 pm

ABED wrote:As long as they are not changing anything to convey something else, and as long as they aren't over done I don't see the problem.
I don't think they should be done at all. They existed in some degree in Kai, but it feels like TFC is more lax. If I were to grade the scripts

Kai 1.0 - A+ to B
TFC - A- to B-

For some reason, the writers still love that "Waves and Rocks" Toei logo joke.
I thought the guy they got sang "Satan Rocks!" Huh.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:
ABED wrote:As long as they are not changing anything to convey something else, and as long as they aren't over done I don't see the problem.
I don't think they should be done at all. They existed in some degree in Kai, but it feels like TFC is more lax. If I were to grade the scripts

Kai 1.0 - A+ to B
TFC - A- to B-

For some reason, the writers still love that "Waves and Rocks" Toei logo joke.
I thought the guy they got sang "Satan Rocks!" Huh.
Yes and no. They got the crew from TFS to dub that whole thing. But at the last minute Toei found out and told Funimation "No way". Since Funi had no time to dub it another way they just used the old Funi dub version of that scene, therefore the reversion to "Waves and rocks"

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:30 am

"Waves and Rocks" is the same on both the Comcast and the Toonami/Blu-Ray/DVD versions, and its a new recording for Kai. Also while most of the TFS stuff is removed in the new version, Lanipator's Krillin voice can still be heard at the very end of the reenactment, in-universe plugging Mr. Satan merchandise.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Considering one soundtrack more suited for whatever reason imaginable for a series like this is subjective
Except that it's not true. Yes, there are many different ways do something right, but there are wrong answers. Faulconer's score doesn't fit. It doesn't fit the tone of the show and it often doesn't fit the feel or emotions the scenes were trying to convey.
Faulconer Productions OST being more suited to DBZ is not a wrong answer. To consider it wrong is an opinion, to consider it right is an opinion.
FUNi Frieza is objectively worse. He's a mishmash of animation and different characterization. It's not coherent. Whether you prefer it is a different question.
FUNi Frieza's voice is objectively better. They hit a tone far more sinister than Kai's that meshes with the character better and the flamboyancy is just right.

Script wise, I'm not going to argue about that since that leads into the script accuracy argument and I'm only concerned with the voice itself. Everyone can agree the script isn't as accurate as Kai's.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:
Considering one soundtrack more suited for whatever reason imaginable for a series like this is subjective
Except that it's not true. Yes, there are many different ways do something right, but there are wrong answers. Faulconer's score doesn't fit. It doesn't fit the tone of the show and it often doesn't fit the feel or emotions the scenes were trying to convey.
Faulconer Productions OST being more suited to DBZ is not a wrong answer. To consider it wrong is an opinion, to consider it right is an opinion.
FUNi Frieza is objectively worse. He's a mishmash of animation and different characterization. It's not coherent. Whether you prefer it is a different question.
FUNi Frieza's voice is objectively better. They hit a tone far more sinister than Kai's that meshes with the character better and the flamboyancy is just right.

Script wise, I'm not going to argue about that since that leads into the script accuracy argument and I'm only concerned with the voice itself. Everyone can agree the script isn't as accurate as Kai's.
I can't understand how anyone could view Funi Z Freeza as objectively better than Funi Kai Freeza. He says lame one liners and is no where near similar to the character that's supposed to be portrayed on screen

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri May 12, 2017 3:47 am

Forte224 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote: Except that it's not true. Yes, there are many different ways do something right, but there are wrong answers. Faulconer's score doesn't fit. It doesn't fit the tone of the show and it often doesn't fit the feel or emotions the scenes were trying to convey.

I can't understand how anyone could view Funi Z Freeza as objectively better than Funi Kai Freeza. He says lame one liners and is no where near similar to the character that's supposed to be portrayed on screen
I can't understand how anyone could view Funi Kai Freeza as objectively better than Funi Freeza. He's lacking a certain level of sinisterness, and goes a touch too much with the flamboyancy in comparison to the original Japanese voice actor.

[spoiler]So I don't actually use "objectively", my usage of the word is showing you guys the flaws of using that for anime voice opinions.

Oh, and I'm referring to the voice itself, not the script as I clarified. lol.[/spoiler]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 am

THere's no sinister qualities in FUNi Freeza. The performance hurts it and the cheesy lines undercut it. Freeza is flamboyant. If you have issue with that, it's an issue with Toriyama's writing. FUNi Freeza is not the character so the performance and and dialog do not mesh with the animation. FUNI's Freeza shouts "Look how evil I am." The animation shows a character who is more nonchalant about his vicious behavior.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 am

ABED wrote:THere's no sinister qualities in FUNi Freeza.
To you. Not to me. Before you ask, that youtube video I showed you previously that had the multiple Frieza voices had a clip that gave me that sinister feeling the Kai one doesn't. There was someone else posting in this thread earlier that shared a similar view. I'm not alone in my view.
The performance hurts it
To you, not to me once again.
and the cheesy lines undercut it.
An issue with the script itself, not the voice actor.
Freeza is flamboyant. If you have issue with that, it's an issue with Toriyama's writing.
No, I have no problem with Young's flamboyancy with the voice, I just feel it's a better execution of it. That is all.
FUNi Freeza is not the character so the performance and and dialog do not mesh with the animation. FUNI's Freeza shouts "Look how evil I am." The animation shows a character who is more nonchalant about his vicious behavior.
Once again, that is an issue with the script changing things and making the lines themselves less accurate in the process. Had Young had an accurate script to work with, that'd be in my preference and I'd consider it the best Frieza voice for the english language thus far. Once again, opinions.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 am

That terrible dialog can affect and clearly did affect the performance. Young is the kind of performer that can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers.
I'm not alone in my view.
You say it is sinister but it doesn't come across as a dangerous character. It comes across as a Saturday morning cartoon villain. There's nothing sinister about her delivery of "I'll beat your tail" or "round and round the monkey goes, if he stops off with his nose". There is something unsettling about a person who is very relaxed about hurting people. Whether you are alone or not in your view doesn't matter. Sabat found Ayres because Young couldn't properly deliver the lines from more accurate scripts.
No, I have no problem with Young's flamboyancy with the voice, I just feel it's a better execution of it.
She's not flamboyant as much as androgynous and vaguely sexual. Freeza comes off as a 80's cartoon villain.

Every single line that comes out of Young's mouth as Freeza is a strain. She's not remotely natural or relaxed. It's a forced performance.
Last edited by ABED on Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 am

Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:

I never found Young's Frieza to be sinister and flamboyant in any way. Even if she was miscast, I found Newstone's Frieza to be sinister.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am

I never found Young's Frieza to be sinister and flamboyant in any way. Even if she was miscast, I found Newstone's Frieza to be sinister.
Newstone's voice has a creepy quality to it in large part because it sounds more or less like her natural voice. The only problem was the dialog.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am

ABED wrote:
Newstone's voice has a creepy quality to it in large part because it sounds more or less like her natural voice. The only problem was the dialog.
I agree that the dialogue was the problem. It might have been interesting to have seen Newstone's Frieza with better scripts.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 pm

See, I'm not a fan of Newstone either. Disregarding the dialogue, her voice also sounds like a cheesy Saturday morning villain. Ayres is the only English Freeza for me

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm

I know you are right and all, but I do find funny that the Kai dub did air on Saturday Mornings on TheCW. I love Chris and I'm glad little kids got to grow up with him.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know you are right and all, but I do find funny that the Kai dub did air on Saturday Mornings on TheCW. I love Chris and I'm glad little kids got to grow up with him.
Ha! Yeah I didn't think of that. Well wasn't that at least the 4Kids version with Blue Popo? Fits the Saturday morning vibe that way

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm

I know right? But the acting was top notch and that did shine through. It was very popular while it was on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2rISwEnJM
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know right? But the acting was top notch and that did shine through. It was very popular while it was on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2rISwEnJM
Oh for sure, I'm quite jealous those kids got to grow up with the likes of Ayres. I'm also happy though because I grew up with Funi Z and watching Funi Kai was like watching a whole different show and starting all over again. It also warmed me up to giving other versions of the show an actual chance which led to me coming to prefer the Japanese version over all else! Kai really reinvigorated my love for the franchise!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Forte224 wrote:See, I'm not a fan of Newstone either. Disregarding the dialogue, her voice also sounds like a cheesy Saturday morning villain. Ayres is the only English Freeza for me
Difference is that it's more or less her voice. It's not a cheesy put on voice, it's a unique voice or a voice with character as Andrea Romano calls it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Forte224 wrote:See, I'm not a fan of Newstone either. Disregarding the dialogue, her voice also sounds like a cheesy Saturday morning villain. Ayres is the only English Freeza for me
This is a cartoon we're talking about, so cartoony, unrealistic or odd voices don't bother me. It's the reason why Nozawa has never bothered me as adult Goku, Turles and Bardock.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat May 13, 2017 3:27 am

ABED wrote:You say it is sinister but it doesn't come across as a dangerous character. It comes across as a Saturday morning cartoon villain. There's nothing sinister about her delivery of "I'll beat your tail" or "round and round the monkey goes, if he stops off with his nose". There is something unsettling about a person who is very relaxed about hurting people. Whether you are alone or not in your view doesn't matter.
Except I disagree and do consider it "dangerous" as you put it. I never once felt the actual voice was bad. You consider it bad, I do not. We differ here, no one is more correct than the other.
Sabat found Ayres because Young couldn't properly deliver the lines from more accurate scripts.
That could've been for a myriad of reasons, such as age. Certain voice actors can't do certain voices even 8 or so years after the fact due their voice changing with time or age. With that said, I can actually disagree with Sabat. Of course, I haven't heard Young's performance at the time of Kai as that was behind closed doors, so who knows?
She's not flamboyant as much as androgynous and vaguely sexual. Freeza comes off as a 80's cartoon villain.
I....never got "sexual" from that voice. I also haven't heard of an 80's cartoon that sounds like Frieza in the Funi Dub. Feel free to point me to performances that are similar.
Every single line that comes out of Young's mouth as Freeza is a strain. She's not remotely natural or relaxed. It's a forced performance.
Strange, cause I feel quite the opposite. I love how clear her voice is when she says "Dodoria", or speaks calmly. Once again, we differ in views here, no one is more right or wrong than the other.