Dragon Ball Z returns to Greek TV!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Z returns to Greek TV after 15 years!

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Appears to be the Funi Season Blu-Ray transfer. This is the main reason why the Level sets should have succeeded, not simply because they are a HD 4:3 transfer, but because it would pretty much be the default HD transfer on TV both domestically and overseas. Latin America recently used the Season Bluray transfer for their rebroadcasts. Selectivision used the Double Features masters for their Movie Blu-Rays. If only Funi waited a couple years after Kai 1.0 had its final DVDs and Blu-Rays sold to start selling the Level sets...either that or not have released the Dragon Boxes at all.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm

It seems that DragonBall Z will also air on TV Super (Super Τηλεόραση).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2FYI8lo5Ro

According to Wikipedia, Smile TV (former 0-6) will air Sailor Moon as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_0-6

If that's true, then I hope they will also get the original Dr. Slump series from ANT1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1L783tNPY

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh shoot, is this horrible transfer hitting Europe too, now?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Good to see it's coming back somewhere. Come on Canada, bring back Dragon Ball...you can do it, it really isn't that hard...
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm

I found the trailer in better quality but it seems that it has been recorded with a 4:3 aspect ratio or something and the video looks squeezed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLtO6jBmOa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKKBmpnQRg

Well, 2 more days to see if it is indeed the Blu-rays from Funimation or something else.

floofychan333 wrote:Good to see it's coming back somewhere. Come on Canada, bring back Dragon Ball...you can do it, it really isn't that hard...
I hope your wish comes true but IIRC the Ocean group left almost the entire Freeza Saga undubbed so that could be an issue.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 am

floofychan333 wrote:Good to see it's coming back somewhere. Come on Canada, bring back Dragon Ball...you can do it, it really isn't that hard...
It's came back in a lot of places; hasn't it? I was reading somewhere that came back in some places in Europe and Latin America, and Toei is trying to secure deals in some parts of Africa and the Middle East.

Dragon Ball is also available in some other countries I just can't remember.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Episode 1 & 2 aired tonight on SMILE.

It was not the Blu-rays from Funimation, so the trailer was misleading!

Their source is either the episodes from ANT1 or the VHS release from DeAgostini.

The episodes have the Greek dub from ANT1. For opening and ending they used the DragonBall opening!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 am

TheRed259 wrote:Episode 1 & 2 aired tonight on SMILE.

It was not the Blu-rays from Funimation, so the trailer was misleading!

Their source is either the episodes from ANT1 or the VHS release from DeAgostini.

The episodes have the Greek dub from ANT1. For opening and ending they used the DragonBall opening!

Well, that was a relief!

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

LOL, but the old episodes in a 16:9 widescreen look kinda stretched.

I just hope they are taking everything from ANT1 so that we can hear again the French DragonBall Z opening (Majin Buu Saga) which was one of my favourites.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am

sangofe wrote:Well, that was a relief!
Indeed. Glad to know there's some sanity out there about which version of Dragon Ball they air.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

TheRed259 wrote:LOL, but the old episodes in a 16:9 widescreen look kinda stretched.

I just hope they are taking everything from ANT1 so that we can hear again the French DragonBall Z opening (Majin Buu Saga) which was one of my favourites.
So don't watch in wide screen...

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:26 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
It's came back in a lot of places; hasn't it? I was reading somewhere that came back in some places in Europe and Latin America, and Toei is trying to secure deals in some parts of Africa and the Middle East.

Dragon Ball is also available in some other countries I just can't remember.
Portugal and France are dubbing DBS and I think Mexico has licensed it now.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Just saw episode 4. It was really fun watching it with the Greek dub after all these years, even though the dub is ridiculous. :P
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm

The Greek dub may have some issues here and there but all the voices are awesome imo. Especially Yiannis Papaioannou (Greek voice of Vegeta) is great as Raditz in these first episodes!

His voice is so unique for me and I can't imagine how the Greek version of DBZ would be without him. Unfortunately, the man is almost 80 years old now and he doesn't work anymore as a VA.

Last time I heard his voice in a cartoon was 10 years ago! Even in his 70s, Yiannis Papaioannou was still awesome! So, I do like the fact that we can hear him again on TV thanks to return of DBZ!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 am

I'm super happy for the Greek DB Fandom! Watching DBZ is loads of fun!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: