The Escalation of Big Bads! A Necessary Evil or an Outdated Story Trope?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: The Escalation of Big Bads! A Necessary Evil or an Outdated Story Trope?

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Then I take it back, that is an answer. He puts in the work.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 pm

ABED wrote:I like quests like hunting for the DB's. It allows the story to move forward and gives room for plenty of reversals. It also allows the weaker characters to contribute to the story in a meaningful way.
I thought everyone except me hated non-fighting scenes.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:42 am

floofychan333 wrote:
ABED wrote:I like quests like hunting for the DB's. It allows the story to move forward and gives room for plenty of reversals. It also allows the weaker characters to contribute to the story in a meaningful way.
Where did you get this idea? Fans are always pointing to the Freeza arc as an example where Gohan and Kuririn contribute to the story and it's precisely for this reason whether they realize it or not.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:33 pm

ABED wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
Where did you get this idea? Fans are always pointing to the Freeza arc as an example where Gohan and Kuririn contribute to the story and it's precisely for this reason whether they realize it or not.
Whenever I criticize fighting on this forum there's always someone who jumps in and tells me what a terrible person I am.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm not sure what you're getting at.