How do you define a good dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: How do you define a good dub?

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Kai is the point where I would consider the dub "good", as long as dialogue gets the intended meaning of the story and characters across with at least decent acting and the original music then it's a good dub in my book. I would consider having amazing acting and actors that replicate the Japanese well just a bonus. Even if I don't consider the dubs for GT and DB "good" they are still tolerable, English Z on the other hand I could never go back to.

Honestly I just roll my eyes when I hear someone say shows like Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs. :roll:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Honestly I just roll my eyes when I hear someone say shows like Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs. :roll:
Only Sub fanboys hate on dubs like Naruto, Bleach or Code Geass.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Kai is the point where I would consider the dub "good", as long as dialogue gets the intended meaning of the story and characters across with at least decent acting and the original music then it's a good dub in my book. I would consider having amazing acting and actors that replicate the Japanese well just a bonus. Even if I don't consider the dubs for GT and DB "good" they are still tolerable, English Z on the other hand I could never go back to.

I wouldn't say Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs, just inferior dubs that I feel no need to continue listening to

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Kai is the point where I would consider the dub "good", as long as dialogue gets the intended meaning of the story and characters across with at least decent acting and the original music then it's a good dub in my book. I would consider having amazing acting and actors that replicate the Japanese well just a bonus. Even if I don't consider the dubs for GT and DB "good" they are still tolerable, English Z on the other hand I could never go back to.

I wouldn't say Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs, just inferior dubs that I feel no need to continue listening to
So? Couldn't you say the same about Dragon Ball?

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote:

Oh for sure! I'm not a huge fan of the DB dub either

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote: I wouldn't say Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs, just inferior dubs that I feel no need to continue listening to
I'm referring to every Dragon Ball related dub. The term inferior is really subjective anyway, and makes it seem like those who enjoy those dubs are considered lesser fans.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Then, Forte, what IS a good dub to your standards?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
I'm referring to every Dragon Ball related dub. The term inferior is really subjective anyway, and makes it seem like those who enjoy those dubs are considered lesser fans.
Well, yeah it's subjective. That's why I said I wouldn't say they're bad, just inferior. Do I really need to say "in my opinion" for that to be clear? Also, inferior isn't a diss. If I like one thing better than the other, the latter is, by definition, inferior in my mind. By the way I'm not a fan of any Dragon Ball franchise dubs really, just Kai but that's mainly nostalgia. Naruto, Bleach, etc. A lot have good/accurate dubs these days but why would I listen to them if I think the Japanese option sounds better? Sorry I didn't spell my intents out clearly.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Then, Forte, what IS a good dub to your standards?
Honestly I don't like dubs much period. Most these days are respectable but I like things better in their native language, Japanese or otherwise. I only like Kai because it's voices I'm nostalgic for except they're really good actors now. But I still find it inferior to the original Japanese.

Edit: Because I didn't really answer your question. Plenty of dubs these days are good. I just feel no need to watch them. I can feel something is good and yet still inferior to something else at the same time. I do give dubs the time of day before saying anything about them too, btw

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Oh for sure! I'm not a huge fan of the DB dub either
Well, yeah it's subjective. That's why I said I wouldn't say they're bad, just inferior. Do I really need to say "in my opinion" for that to be clear? Also, inferior isn't a diss. If I like one thing better than the other, the latter is, by definition, inferior in my mind. By the way I'm not a fan of any Dragon Ball franchise dubs really, just Kai but that's mainly nostalgia. Naruto, Bleach, etc. A lot have good/accurate dubs these days but why would I listen to them if I think the Japanese option sounds better? Sorry I didn't spell my intents out clearly.
It's perfectly fine to not care for dubs, In fact I'm glad that more people seek out the original just because it's the original. Some dub haters are just extremely delusional about dubs and think dub actors don't care about what they work on and are only in it for the money. The whole "dubs have no emotion" crap is incredibly overblown.

Even as someone who prefers the original but will occasionally watch a dub I am forever grateful to good accurate dubs for introducing myself and new fans to anime.

I wish more sub anime fans where mature like you Forte. :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
It's perfectly fine to not care for dubs, In fact I'm glad that more people seek out the original just because it's the original. Some dub haters are just extremely delusional about dubs and think dub actors don't care about what they work on and are only in it for the money. The whole "dubs have no emotion" crap is incredibly overblown.

Even as someone who prefers the original but will occasionally watch a dub I am forever grateful to good accurate dubs for introducing myself and new fans to anime.

I wish more sub anime fans where mature like you Forte. :D
Thanks yeah I used to be pretty hostile towards them but they do try and it's hella accurate these days so no hate is needed. Especially not with sub versions being so easily available

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 am

Forte224 wrote:

Compared to most of Dragon Ball Dubs, These Dubs are Masterpieces.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:08 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:

One thing that I like about Naruto's dub is that they manage to get people like Jennifer Hale, Ali Hillis, Wil Wheaton, Nolan North and Keone Young to be in the dubs.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: I wouldn't say Naruto and Bleach have bad dubs, just inferior dubs that I feel no need to continue listening to
One thing that I like about Naruto's dub is that they manage to get people like Jennifer Hale, Ali Hillis, Wil Wheaton, Nolan North and Keone Young to be in the dubs.
Also Steve Blum, Troy Baker, Crispin Freeman and Johny Yong Bosch. Now that's a great cast for a dub.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am

I'm probably in a minority because I place faithfulness to the original script quite low on the priority list compared to other things. The way I see it, it's never been easier to access subtitled versions of shows, whereas dub have become a premium product. So I can get faithfulness for free, but if I'm shelling out the cost of a monthly AnimeLab subscription to hear it in English, the main thing I want is an enjoyable experience. That means focus on a good script, good direction and if there are joke, make sure they land in English, and if they don't come up with something that does. Japanese humour doesn't always translate well to English, so I have no problem with dubbing companies Westernising it if need be.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:

Ok? I wasn't comparing them

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:28 pm

DHM211 wrote:
precita wrote:It has to be word to word accurate to the Japanese version, no variations at all, even for phrases that don't translate well into english.

They also must use names Gokuu, Bejita, Bidel, Piccoro, Bloomer, Kurririn, Furiza, Beers, Muten Roshi, and Kakarotto.
This but unironically.
Same, would be neat if they kept the same pronunciations just for laughs "even it if doesn't sound that great in English or match the spelling".

As long as the script is faithful and the acting is decent I'll watch it.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:22 am

Kataphrut wrote:I'm probably in a minority because I place faithfulness to the original script quite low on the priority list compared to other things. The way I see it, it's never been easier to access subtitled versions of shows, whereas dub have become a premium product. So I can get faithfulness for free, but if I'm shelling out the cost of a monthly AnimeLab subscription to hear it in English, the main thing I want is an enjoyable experience. That means focus on a good script, good direction and if there are joke, make sure they land in English, and if they don't come up with something that does. Japanese humour doesn't always translate well to English, so I have no problem with dubbing companies Westernising it if need be.
Having faithful translated scripts should be a top priority when dubbing a foreign product. It isn't a dub's job to create a new show. It shouldn't replace music, change characters personalities, change characters names, change/add/remove dialogue, etc. A dub is basically a very expensive translation. And translations have to be faithful to its source. If there not, then it isn't a translation. Your just making stuff up.

Imagine you didn't speak English and you wanted to watch the Star Wars movies dubbed. Wouldn't you want the dub to be an accurate representation of the movie? Wouldn't you want the dubbed characters to say what they are actually saying and not made up/inaccurate dialogue?

It's understandable why most English speaking people are okay with dubs not being too accurate/faithful. Pretty much the only thing that you guys consume dubbed is anime. And I guess some Asian flims. But that's it. Everyting else is already available in your native language. Hollywood movies, American cartoons, sitcoms, live action shows, videos games, etc. You don't have to worrie about dubs because like I said, you already have everything in English. In contrast to Latin America where everything gets dubbed. Even reality shows.

Going back to the Stars Wars example, I do want the Latin American dub of Star Wars movies to be as accurate as possible to the original. Because I want to expirience Star Wars but in Spanish. Not some cheap reimagining. (I'm just using the Star Wars movies as examples. I've actually never watched them dubbed. For all I know the Latin American dub could be terrible and inaccurate)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Bajosexto wrote: Having faithful translated scripts should be a top priority when dubbing a foreign product. It isn't a dub's job to create a new show. It shouldn't replace music, change characters personalities, change characters names, change/add/remove dialogue, etc. A dub is basically a very expensive translation. And translations have to be faithful to its source. If there not, then it isn't a translation. Your just making stuff up.
You don't watch Looney Tunes, PPG, or X-Men do you? They had name changes in Spanish. Saw so when turning on the Spanish track out of curiosity.

As for things with changes, it can depend depending on how yo look at things. For example Voltron and Saber Rider are different from Go-Lion and Space Musketeer Bismark. Especially the latter which is more adaptation at times with their changes. But they did better in America than the Japanese originals did in Japan.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Well Naruto was also a Union production and that's how they got them in there. Heck their lead is more known for being in live action movies and tv shows. Though she has done voice-over, including winning an Emmy for doing so, which shut up many of her critics. Snobby otaku still complained and said they'd rather maim themselves than watching "Baby stuff like that", (Back then snobby American otaku tended to hate kids' cartoons on PBS) but still.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: Having faithful translated scripts should be a top priority when dubbing a foreign product. It isn't a dub's job to create a new show. It shouldn't replace music, change characters personalities, change characters names, change/add/remove dialogue, etc. A dub is basically a very expensive translation. And translations have to be faithful to its source. If there not, then it isn't a translation. Your just making stuff up.
You don't watch Looney Tunes, PPG, or X-Men do you? They had name changes in Spanish. Saw so when turning on the Spanish track out of curiosity.

As for things with changes, it can depend depending on how yo look at things. For example Voltron and Saber Rider are different from Go-Lion and Space Musketeer Bismark. Especially the latter which is more adaptation at times with their changes. But they did better in America than the Japanese originals did in Japan.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Compared to most of Dragon Ball Dubs, These Dubs are Masterpieces.
Well Naruto was also a Union production and that's how they got them in there. Heck their lead is more known for being in live action movies and tv shows. Though she has done voice-over, including winning an Emmy for doing so, which shut up many of her critics. Snobby otaku still complained and said they'd rather maim themselves than watching "Baby stuff like that", (Back then snobby American otaku tended to hate kids' cartoons on PBS) but still.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. They even got Fred Tatasciore to do Kakuzu.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
I do. I grew up watching Latin American dubs. And your right, a lot of Latin American cartoon dubs did change/adapted/translated the original names. I'm still against name changes though. Not necessarily translating a name or adapting a name. But straight up changing a characters name like Son Goku to Zero.
Super Sonic wrote:As for things with changes, it can depend depending on how yo look at things. For example Voltron and Saber Rider are different from Go-Lion and Space Musketeer Bismark. Especially the latter which is more adaptation at times with their changes. But they did better in America than the Japanese originals did in Japan
It is not a dub's job to create a new show. It should only recreate what is already there in a foreign language.