How do you define a good dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: How do you define a good dub?

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 am

A good dub to me is something that keeps the spirit of the original thing, even if it has to change the dialog for less accuracy to achieve that. The dub doesn't need to be exactly like the Japanese variant for it to be executed well, it just needs to have a certain level of quality involved and character.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:31 am

As long as a dub doesn't try to be something else, it will definitely be at least decent. Things like adding unnecessary dialogue where there was none in the first place, "americanizing" instead of localizing and trying to hide that an Anime is Japanese is definitely unacceptable.

Things like changing names just divides the dub community and the sub community, and I don't appreciate that.

Oh, and trying not to make the main character's father a "brilliant scientist" would also help.

Change in music is fine IMO. I like the Bruce Faulconer tracks a lot even though I prefer the original Japanese OST. I'm neutral towards change in music provided that the tracks know when to shut the fuck up. Internal monologues shouldn't be added when there was originally silence in Gohan's SS2 transformation.

Censorship should be minimized.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

Bajosexto wrote:I think your list is too strict. AFAIK only the latin American dub and Brazilian dub qualify using this criteria.
Not only brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs, but the korean, cantonese and italian dubs too. Maybe the german too, but only maybe.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 am

To me a good dub is a dub that tries to be the most faithful possible to the original. I've only seen english and french dubs of DBZ but I can't say I am satisfied with them, in fact I hate them. :)
Well, at least the french dub kept the original music score...
South Park would be a great example of good dubbing IMHO

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

There's two main features that define a good dub:
- Accuracy to the source material.
- Good production values.

And while both are important, you can still create a perfectly enjoyable product if you screw up one, but get the other right; Dragon Ball has had this every way around possible, so it makes for some great examples of this...

The Ocean TV dubs had the latter, but not the former. In all honesty, it's still a highly enjoyable yet cheesy '90s cartoon/kids TV show taken on its own merits, very much like DiC Sailor Moon or, for a non-cartoon example, Power Rangers; but like Sailor Moon, the inaccuracy to the source material makes it a poor adaptation of the original work(And yeah, in the case of Westwood, they didn't have a lot of money, but the voice acting and music were really good, so it worked nicely overall. In my opinion, better than its Funimation counterpart, actually). Funimation's Dragon Ball work pre-Kai kind of fits this bill, although they didn't really get proper production values until their OG DB and Ultimate Uncut Z dubs, with GT and original Z turning out pretty poor overall IMO.
The Blue Water dubs had the former, but not the latter. People often criticise Blue Water's work for at times poor voice acting, and some odd casting choices. But the scripts were far more accurate than what Funimation had for DB or GT, and the overall spirit was generally much closer to the original, especially in GT's case, where Funimation didn't even use the original music, while the Blue Water dubs used the original music for both DB and GT. The Blue Water dubs stand up pretty well as enjoyable dubs, and I find their GT dub preferable to FUNi's... Let's say "Effort," despite it taking some time to get used to Blue Water's actors.

On the other hand, you have the ones that got both right...
The Pioneer dub had the excellent Ocean cast using some of the best scripts a Dragon Ball dub has ever had. The end result is some of the best dubbing Dragon Ball has ever had, and wouldn't even have any competition in this regard until 11 years later, when Funimation brought out their Kai dub. Speaking of...
Funimation Kai. Although I have no doubt I will find Ocean Kai more enjoyable whenever that comes out(If it does :( ), Funimation Kai is the way to watch Dragon Ball Z dubbed at the moment.

And of course, as a side-note, there are some that kind of split the difference by getting both right, but not really landing it properly(Funimation's OG Dragon Ball dub. Ultimate Uncut had this in places, too), and a few that (in)famously got neither right(Funimation's GT; Big Green; Speedy).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I think your list is too strict. AFAIK only the latin American dub and Brazilian dub qualify using this criteria.
Not only brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs, but the korean, cantonese and italian dubs too. Maybe the german too, but only maybe.
Do the Mandarin Chinese dubs qualify under my list? What about other dubs made with the various languages of Asia?

I know the German dub doesn't...can anybody say whether the alternative German dub DBZ Movies 1&8 dvds use the same scripts as their official counterparts or more accurate ones?

As for Italian, only the Dynit dub of the movies (...and maybe the Play World Media dub of DB ep 1-54?) qualify for my list due to name changes.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Do the Mandarin Chinese dubs qualify under my list? What about other dubs made with the various languages of Asia?

I know the German dub doesn't...can anybody say whether the alternative German dub DBZ Movies 1&8 dvds use the same scripts as their official counterparts or more accurate ones?

As for Italian, only the Dynit dub of the movies (...and maybe the Play World Media dub of DB ep 1-54?) qualify for my list due to name changes.
I can't say that all the mandarin chinese dubs qualify under the list, at least not the original mandarin dub for the original series. In that, the scripts were correct faithful until I know, but it had a very small cast with few actors, like 5 or 6 doing all the roles.
But, the post-Kai dubs and the alternate Z dub that was produced until the middle of Android Saga can actually qualify to the list, since their casts are a lot bigger, for what I saw. And their production values too.

Oh yeah, I was forgetting: there is a mainland Chinese mandarin dub for the original Dragon Ball, that was broadcasted in South Africa with english subs, but I don't know much about it.

About other asian dubs, the indonesian is probably the best after cantonese and korean, but I didn't saw much of it. It's just a supposition based in what I know about that dub.
The thai dubs are very faithful in terms of script, but they have few actors doing all the characters, and their acting can sounds really strange and uncommon to non-thai speakers. I don't know if it can be bad voice acting, or just a particularity of the language. You can see what I'm talking about here in these playlists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWKYTJr ... syWvZt3oXG_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fP_e4S ... 5QQ44AshQk
And we have the tagalog, vietnamese(Kai) and original malay dubs(not the malaysian english speedy dub). The Tagalog dub have great actors and faithful scripts, but like the thai and mandarin dubs, it has a low number of actors working on it. Also, the production value doesn't see to be much bigger; for what I saw in the tagalog dub of Battle of Gods the sound mixing was pretty bad with a wheezing sound behind the voices(it was poorly recorded).
The malay dub(in malay language) seems to be nice, but I didn't saw much of it. Only a few clips from Kai. I don't know any information about staff, number of actors, production values or other stuff about this.
The vietnamese dub sounds good when we talk about acting wise. They never dubbed the original series, only Kai and they used the Funimation version as their source. But, like the malay dub, I don't know much of it in terms of staff, number of actors and other stuff like that.

About the italian dub, I know that it had some name changes, but nothing bigger or comparable to what Funimation did for example. Between the european dubs, the italian dubs are the closest to the original japanese scripts. The Dynit one is far more close to the original version than the Mediaset one, but they are both away more accurate and consistent than the french, spanish, portuguese or greek ones.

And I was forgetting, but the hebrew dub also can maybe qualify to the list too. It had a few problems here and there, but it has more accuracy than the italian mediaset dub, for example.

-------------------

But, nothing takes the Top of Cantonese dub, Brazilian Portuguese dub, Latin American Spanish dub, and probably the Korean dubs. I'm pretty sure than, when we talk about the original series at least, those ones are the bests in the world.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
But, nothing takes the Top of Cantonese dub, Brazilian Portuguese dub, Latin American Spanish dub, and probably the Korean dubs. I'm pretty sure than, when we talk about the original series at least, those ones are the bests in the world.
I had heard that the Asian dubs were also good but I wasn't sure. I really dont know much about them. Between The Cantonese, Brazilian, Latin American and Korean dubs of the original series which do you think is the best? How would you personally rank them?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
I had heard that the Asian dubs were also good but I wasn't sure. I really dont know much about them. Between The Cantonese, Brazilian, Latin American and Korean dubs of the original series which do you think is the best? How would you personally rank them?
I would put the cantonese dub at first, and then brazilian portuguese in second and latin american spanish in the third place. The two korean dubs for the original series are almost the same, so I put them at the 4th place. Also, we have the italian Dynit dub of the movies, that is really good and faithful to japanese.
If there is a 5th place for it, it's for the Dynit dub of the movies.

But again, this is when it comes to the original 80's and 90's series and movies. Not Kai, Super or the new movies.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:I had heard that the Asian dubs were also good but I wasn't sure. I really dont know much about them. Between The Cantonese, Brazilian, Latin American and Korean dubs of the original series which do you think is the best? How would you personally rank them?
I would put the cantonese dub at first, and then brazilian portuguese in second and latin american spanish in the third place. The two korean dubs for the original series are almost the same, so I put them at the 4th place. Also, we have the italian Dynit dub of the movies, that is really good and faithful to japanese.

But again, this is when it comes to the original 80's and 90's series and movies. Not Kai, Super or the new movies.
Why do you rank the Brazilian dub on top of the Latin American? Is there a specific reason? I personally think these two dubs are very similar in terms of quality. Both have great acting with the occasional bad acting and both have a great script with some erros(at least the Latin American does have script changes and errors).

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

Why do you rank the Brazilian dub on top of the Latin American? Is there a specific reason? I personally think these two dubs are very similar in terms of quality. Both have great acting with the occasional bad acting and both have a great script with some erros(at least the Latin American does have script changes and errors).
Yeah, the brazilian and mexican dubs are almost tied. I'm just considering a few details, like casting consistancy and names changes, for example. In the brazilian dub, Chichi is called Chichi when in the latin american, she is called Milk.
About casting consistancy, both dubs had a few changes in the running of the episodes, but the characters with changed voices are in a bigger number in the latin american spanish than in the brazilian one, for example Bulma, Piccolo(he was dubbed by a different actor in one episode), King Kai, Yajirobe and Krillin had different actors in the running of the series in the latin spanish dub, but not in the brazilian portuguese one.

But, besides those stuff, the dubs are almost tied. There aren't big differences of quality between them.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Yeah, the brazilian and mexican dubs are almost tied. I'm just considering a few details, like casting consistancy and names changes, for example. In the brazilian dub, Chichi is called Chichi when in the latin american, she is called Milk.
About casting consistancy, both dubs had a few changes in the running of the episodes, but the characters with changed voices are in a bigger number in the latin american spanish than in the brazilian one, for example Bulma, Piccolo(he was dubbed by a different actor in one episode), King Kai, Yajirobe and Krillin had different actors in the running of the series in the latin spanish dub, but not in the brazilian portuguese one.

But, besides those stuff, the dubs are almost tied. There aren't big differences of quality between them.
I agree with you in the name changes. The Latin dub does have more name changes that the Brazilian dub(I think). When it comes to the casting consistency, I feel that most of the replacements were just as good as the original dub actors. Kuririn did have four VA's but everyone of them were really good, excluding his VA in GT which I dont really care for him. My personal favorite is luis Daniel Ramirez( Kuririn in the Buu arc). I never notice the voice changes when I was a kid until much later. They just sounded like the characters to me even when in reality their voices sounded different.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm

A good dub to me is the original script being as unaltered as possible with zero ad-libbing (If Sabet wants to continue adding jokes, he should just join TFS). The names, music, jokes, all of it remain the same. The Persona games do fine leaving in all the "chans", "kuns", and "sans", as well as making it clear it's very Japanese. DB and many other dubs seem to fear viewers being exposed to "too much Japan", so they alter it.

Dubs that change even one word, or add something that wasn't there run the risk of completely screwing a characters personality, or even plot. For an example of this look at Metal Gear Solid. In MGS1 there's a "short" cutscene where a character called Dr. Clark was revealed to be the one to bring Grey Fox back to life as a cyborg. In English Dr. Clark is said to be a guy, but in Japanese the sex is never revealed. Dr. Clark was a one time mention character for that game and forgotten... until MGS4 when it was revealed Dr. Clark was the woman "Paramedic" introduced in MGS3. Now whenever I play MGS and Clark is called "he" it's just one giant sigh.

Similarly, only less damaging; Cowboy Bebop. On page one Vijay mentioned it as a good dub, but Ed's sex is never mentioned in Japanese, yet Ed is revealed as a girl in English. It destroys the characters (i'm pulling this guess out my ass here) design to give that feeling of mystery Ed has. If Cowboy Bebop were to get a sequel and Ed's sex was revealed as a boy, then that would make one of the top tier '90s dubs have a needless black stain on it.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 am

Generally speaking, care & input on leaving as much intact as possible, language aside. Even language is an issue, because I want to play or watch the art with that aspect intact. Language barrier's an issue with either dubs or subs, but with subs at least you didnt replace anything.

That said, some factors I like to leave intact:

Script accuracy
- really the most yes/no factor here. If they tried to basically translate the Japanese script (adjusted for timing as much as needed, obviously), that's good. The attitude of the dialogue is more important than the words being said, of course, but details definitely should be paid attention to as they impact the story. Creator involvement & contact obviously helps understand the meaning & context behind what is being said. The Maid Dragon dub had an unintentional mistranslation due to lack of this. On the discussion of Dragon Ball...I think that goes without saying.

Lipsync - this is a tough one, & the tech is taking its time getting there, but it's really a necessity if we truly want the best, most accurate performance without having to adjust dialogue for timing. There's software that does reanimation for games based on the phonetics in the recording. FF13+, plus tons of other recent games, do dubs this way. Older (pre-2001) dubs tend to have the issue of being done manually, before ProTools allowed any kind of adjustment or compression of the audio. That's why they constantly sound as if they're rushing to finish lines.

Timbre/tone of character voices
- it's not Darth Vader without that stern, booming voice. It's not Joker (or at least, the modern Joker) without that raspy, high-pitched squeal of a laugh. Donald Duck is not Donald Duck without that quack. Similarly, Batou would not sound like Gilbert Gottfried, Piccolo should not sound like the Hulk, etc. Dubs supervised by the original production team tend to (believe it or not) make similar choices across languages, because the voice fits, & they dont need to go changing anything. FUNimation dubs, notably, tend to care less about this, being US-owned, & they largely do as they like IIRC. Not really bad results, though, I guess. Most of the time.

Good budgets & directors - I know that Japanese foreign-dubbing is usually done ensemble, but English dubbing is all solo as of yet, so director really holds the key. Having the money to constantly redo stuff helps when having to record out-of-order, as well. & I suppose it goes without saying that good actors cost a lot of money. Many of the best dubs are at least under the union contract - I rarely if ever have seen a bad union dub, actually. I think Streamline dubs are an exception, & mostly because of Streamline's MO rather than actor incompetency.

Some dubs that achieve all or most of this: Tekkonkinkreet, almost anything Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts (I mean it's Disney so yeah..), Jin-Roh, Sword of the Stranger, Kurozuka, Berserk 2012, Fate/Zero, One Piece mostly, Slayers, Your Lie in April, GitS SAC, Durarara, Code Geass, Naruto/Bleach, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing Ultimate, (Ocean, NYAV, & Bang Zoom) Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Planetes, Akira (2001), Kekkaishi, Wolf's Rain, Big O, there are plenty of others that generally are competent but miss the "good budget & directors". FUNi also regularly lacks creator contact.

Dragon Ball regularly misses all or most of these. I think the Ocean Pioneer dub still comes closest to what I want, although some of FUNi's post-Kai castings & especially Bang Zoom's Super dub hit the spot as well. & I think the Final Bout dub at least deserves credit for attempting to be accurate when 99% of DB English dubs werent. & yes, I do feel that Harmony Gold's dub at least carries the spirit & tone of Dragon Ball, while whitewashing it to hell & back of course. It's similar to Gyakuten Saiben/"Ace Attorney" & early Pokemon dubs, in that respect. It's "impressive" for a censored dub, but it's still got obvious issues with keeping the important cultural details. It's still FAR better than anything FUNi was putting out early on, though.

I respect what Sabat is trying to do now, but he still plays too many inappropriate characters & there's really far less supervision than there needs to be, & overall it's doomed to be a compromise to the cash cow that is the old FUNi dub. That they use old dub terms in the subs for Super...should say something about that dub's unfortunate ubiquity. Business-wise, they're always going to have to compromise. Although many new castings (Freeza, Beerus, Whis, Zamasu, Vados, Champa) are great.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Generally speaking, care & input on leaving as much intact as possible, language aside. Even language is an issue, because I want to play or watch the art with that aspect intact. Language barrier's an issue with either dubs or subs, but with subs at least you didnt replace anything.

That said, some factors I like to leave intact:

Script accuracy
- really the most yes/no factor here. If they tried to basically translate the Japanese script (adjusted for timing as much as needed, obviously), that's good. The attitude of the dialogue is more important than the words being said, of course, but details definitely should be paid attention to as they impact the story. Creator involvement & contact obviously helps understand the meaning & context behind what is being said. The Maid Dragon dub had an unintentional mistranslation due to lack of this. On the discussion of Dragon Ball...I think that goes without saying.

Lipsync - this is a tough one, & the tech is taking its time getting there, but it's really a necessity if we truly want the best, most accurate performance without having to adjust dialogue for timing. There's software that does reanimation for games based on the phonetics in the recording. FF13+, plus tons of other recent games, do dubs this way. Older (pre-2001) dubs tend to have the issue of being done manually, before ProTools allowed any kind of adjustment or compression of the audio. That's why they constantly sound as if they're rushing to finish lines.

Timbre/tone of character voices
- it's not Darth Vader without that stern, booming voice. It's not Joker (or at least, the modern Joker) without that raspy, high-pitched squeal of a laugh. Donald Duck is not Donald Duck without that quack. Similarly, Batou would not sound like Gilbert Gottfried, Piccolo should not sound like the Hulk, etc. Dubs supervised by the original production team tend to (believe it or not) make similar choices across languages, because the voice fits, & they dont need to go changing anything. FUNimation dubs, notably, tend to care less about this, being US-owned, & they largely do as they like IIRC. Not really bad results, though, I guess. Most of the time.

Good budgets & directors - I know that Japanese foreign-dubbing is usually done ensemble, but English dubbing is all solo as of yet, so director really holds the key. Having the money to constantly redo stuff helps when having to record out-of-order, as well. & I suppose it goes without saying that good actors cost a lot of money. Many of the best dubs are at least under the union contract - I rarely if ever have seen a bad union dub, actually. I think Streamline dubs are an exception, & mostly because of Streamline's MO rather than actor incompetency.

Some dubs that achieve all or most of this: Tekkonkinkreet, almost anything Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts (I mean it's Disney so yeah..), Jin-Roh, Sword of the Stranger, Kurozuka, Berserk 2012, Fate/Zero, One Piece mostly, Slayers, Your Lie in April, GitS SAC, Durarara, Code Geass, Naruto/Bleach, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing Ultimate, (Ocean, NYAV, & Bang Zoom) Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Planetes, Akira (2001), Kekkaishi, Wolf's Rain, Big O, there are plenty of others that generally are competent but miss the "good budget & directors". FUNi also regularly lacks creator contact.

Dragon Ball regularly misses all or most of these. I think the Ocean Pioneer dub still comes closest to what I want, although some of FUNi's post-Kai castings & especially Bang Zoom's Super dub hit the spot as well. & I think the Final Bout dub at least deserves credit for attempting to be accurate when 99% of DB English dubs werent. & yes, I do feel that Harmony Gold's dub at least carries the spirit & tone of Dragon Ball, while whitewashing it to hell & back of course. It's similar to Gyakuten Saiben/"Ace Attorney" & early Pokemon dubs, in that respect. It's "impressive" for a censored dub, but it's still got obvious issues with keeping the important cultural details. It's still FAR better than anything FUNi was putting out early on, though.
I respect what Sabat is trying to do now, but he still plays too many inappropriate characters & there's really far less supervision than there needs to be, & overall it's doomed to be a compromise to the cash cow that is the old FUNi dub. That they use old dub terms in the subs for Super...should say something about that dub's unfortunate ubiquity. Business-wise, they're always going to have to compromise. Although many new castings (Freeza, Beerus, Whis, Zamasu, Vados, Champa) are great.
Really? I don't remember anyone rushing their lines in the Cowboy Bebop dub, which you criticize for having "replacement VA's", and not the real deal, like Corey Burton and Tress MacNeille.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Really? I don't remember anyone rushing their lines in the Cowboy Bebop dub, which you criticize for having "replacement VA's", and not the real deal, like Corey Burton and Tress MacNeille.
I've only seen a couple of Bebop eps, & mainly in Japanese. When I did switch to check out the dub, it did sound kind of wonky & unnatural. Dont get me wrong, it's a good 1998 dub, yeah, but even Disney occasionally bumped into this issue back then. Tech just wasnt there IIRC.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Really? I don't remember anyone rushing their lines in the Cowboy Bebop dub, which you criticize for having "replacement VA's", and not the real deal, like Corey Burton and Tress MacNeille.
I've only seen a couple of Bebop eps, & mainly in Japanese. When I did switch to check out the dub, it did sound kind of wonky & unnatural. Dont get me wrong, it's a good 1998 dub, yeah, but even Disney occasionally bumped into this issue back then. Tech just wasnt there IIRC.
Maybe I should revisit it again, but I remember that for the most part, it sounded good. And I know that you're going to say "But Steve Blum was green in 1998!" That's not true. Blum was already voice acting since 1992, if I recall correctly.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
King-K9 wrote:For me it's this:

1. Almost every voice should sound unique unless there's a story reason.
2. It must be atleast 80% accurate to what was in the original script
3. I don't mind different music as long as it sounds good and still fits the scene in which it takes place. (Which is why I'm a huge Faulconer fan)
4. If your going to change a line, make sure it still fits the character, and isn't too big of a change from what was originally said.
5. If you're going to add extra dialogue to a scene that didnt originally have it, then keep it as a character's monologue (like Gohan's monologue after 16's death) or as somthing small that fits the context of the scene (Like Goku saying "I love you" to Chichi).
6. Changing a character's name is fine, as long as it's not somthing stupid.
7. Other changes are fine as long as they're minor, and not detrimental to the story
8. If possible, try to improve certain lines from the original.
9. The title of said anime must be a translated version of the original, nothing more, nothing less.
10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
So basically the Funi's in-house dub of Z is what defines a good dub to you. I feel that your being way to lenient just to justify all the changes made by FUNi to their dbz dub.
Then I guess you think Pre-Kai Dubs of Dragon Ball Series were good
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:13 pm

10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
Nozawa IS Goku, kid and adult, really. I understand it is weird at first and especially if you come from the dubs, but honestly she nails the persona so good that giving Goku a male voice would tarnish the series, imo.
Also she screams better than any other men have in this series, her laugh is perfect, all intonations are accurate to who Goku is. In my opinion she is not replaceable and it will be a huge loss for the show when she goes to the other world. Symbolically I also like to think Goku keeps his child voice as he keeps his child's mind.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 pm

He's talking about DUBS, not the ORIGINAL VERSION(See? This is a bone you get when you dont blindly assume the original is a dub). No one is condemning Nozawa, but she's one of a kind. we have to have a proper male voice in dubs.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: