How do you define a good dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Re: How do you define a good dub?

Post by King-K9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:54 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
Nozawa IS Goku, kid and adult, really. I understand it is weird at first and especially if you come from the dubs, but honestly she nails the persona so good that giving Goku a male voice would tarnish the series, imo.
Also she screams better than any other men have in this series, her laugh is perfect, all intonations are accurate to who Goku is. In my opinion she is not replaceable and it will be a huge loss for the show when she goes to the other world. Symbolically I also like to think Goku keeps his child voice as he keeps his child's mind.
Fair enough, but I just think Sean is the superior Goku. But I enjoyed Nozawa's Goku in GT (Except for when he's SSJ4)

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I have just three simple requirements:

1: The voice cast should try to sound like their original counterparts, in the manner in which they speak, their tone, pitch etc.
2: No dialogue or names should be changed. They can be translated, but the meaning should stay the same.
3: The music has to be the same as the original

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:38 pm

While I believe the Kai dub is better translated but the voice actors sound bored at times, maybe since with the original series, redubbing the series for the season sets, and video games, it seems like they just seem bored at times with the dialouge. While the dub of the original isn't greatest (It got better around the androids for me), it seems like they are more into it since at the time it was new. That's just me though.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Here's what makes a good dub IMO:
1. The script must be as accurate to the original as possible but not sound janky like so many subs do
2. Voice acting must not be corny and must be at least somewhat faithful to the original
3. Little to no censorship
4. No mispronunciations
5. No weird name changes (Hercule, Uncle Motong, etc)
6. No score replacement (unless replacing Sumitomo with Kikuchi)
7. Don't recoil at having to say a word in Japanese
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:49 am

floofychan333 wrote:6. No score replacement (unless replacing Yamamoto with Kikuchi)
FTFY. Sumitomo's music has never been replaced in any dub AFAIK.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:20 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:While I believe the Kai dub is better translated but the voice actors sound bored at times, maybe since with the original series, redubbing the series for the season sets, and video games, it seems like they just seem bored at times with the dialouge. While the dub of the original isn't greatest (It got better around the androids for me), it seems like they are more into it since at the time it was new. That's just me though.
I kind of agree with this. While I don't think the voice actors sounded "bored", I do think the script was very tired and uncreative at times. If I hear an English dub of Dragon Ball use the phrase "he's like a whole different person!" one more time I'm probably going to snap.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:51 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Not only brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs, but the korean, cantonese and italian dubs too. Maybe the german too, but only maybe.
Do the Mandarin Chinese dubs qualify under my list? What about other dubs made with the various languages of Asia?

I know the German dub doesn't...can anybody say whether the alternative German dub DBZ Movies 1&8 dvds use the same scripts as their official counterparts or more accurate ones?

As for Italian, only the Dynit dub of the movies (...and maybe the Play World Media dub of DB ep 1-54?) qualify for my list due to name changes.
I can't say that all the mandarin chinese dubs qualify under the list, at least not the original mandarin dub for the original series. In that, the scripts were correct faithful until I know, but it had a very small cast with few actors, like 5 or 6 doing all the roles.
But, the post-Kai dubs and the alternate Z dub that was produced until the middle of Android Saga can actually qualify to the list, since their casts are a lot bigger, for what I saw. And their production values too.

Oh yeah, I was forgetting: there is a mainland Chinese mandarin dub for the original Dragon Ball, that was broadcasted in South Africa with english subs, but I don't know much about it.

About other asian dubs, the indonesian is probably the best after cantonese and korean, but I didn't saw much of it. It's just a supposition based in what I know about that dub.
The thai dubs are very faithful in terms of script, but they have few actors doing all the characters, and their acting can sounds really strange and uncommon to non-thai speakers. I don't know if it can be bad voice acting, or just a particularity of the language. You can see what I'm talking about here in these playlists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWKYTJr ... syWvZt3oXG_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fP_e4S ... 5QQ44AshQk
And we have the tagalog, vietnamese(Kai) and original malay dubs(not the malaysian english speedy dub). The Tagalog dub have great actors and faithful scripts, but like the thai and mandarin dubs, it has a low number of actors working on it. Also, the production value doesn't see to be much bigger; for what I saw in the tagalog dub of Battle of Gods the sound mixing was pretty bad with a wheezing sound behind the voices(it was poorly recorded).
The malay dub(in malay language) seems to be nice, but I didn't saw much of it. Only a few clips from Kai. I don't know any information about staff, number of actors, production values or other stuff about this.
The vietnamese dub sounds good when we talk about acting wise. They never dubbed the original series, only Kai and they used the Funimation version as their source. But, like the malay dub, I don't know much of it in terms of staff, number of actors and other stuff like that.

About the italian dub, I know that it had some name changes, but nothing bigger or comparable to what Funimation did for example. Between the european dubs, the italian dubs are the closest to the original japanese scripts. The Dynit one is far more close to the original version than the Mediaset one, but they are both away more accurate and consistent than the french, spanish, portuguese or greek ones.

And I was forgetting, but the hebrew dub also can maybe qualify to the list too. It had a few problems here and there, but it has more accuracy than the italian mediaset dub, for example.

-------------------

But, nothing takes the Top of Cantonese dub, Brazilian Portuguese dub, Latin American Spanish dub, and probably the Korean dubs. I'm pretty sure than, when we talk about the original series at least, those ones are the bests in the world.
What about the Hindi Dub which were based on American Dub? (animes are not a big thing Here in India when it comes to DVD releases or merchandising besides few kids shows Dubs like Crayon Shin-Chan or Doraemon, etc.)

Here are some clips :
https://youtu.be/4lZnoeFeRl4
https://youtu.be/AP6ePqMGlEo
https://youtu.be/H40maCgN3xg
https://youtu.be/SxuqIX1JtAY
https://youtu.be/4lbahe4ws0g ,
Is it me or the Hindi Voice of Cell sounds like the Japanese One?
Also I think the issue with Hindi Dub was that it followed the FUNimation's Script instead of Japanese one and tried to copy FUNi's Voices because of which Freeza sounded horrible even in Hindi dub in 1st, 3rd and Final Form but for 2nd form he got a Badass male voice

https://youtu.be/4lbahe4ws0g
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:17 am

King-K9 wrote: 10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
I Disagree, Nozawa has been voicing Goku both as a kid and adult still nails his personality and captures his naive, soft hearted and battle savvy nature flawlessly. The Japanese fits Goku more. Goku is supposed to be a goofy character. And Nozawa Masako does a perfect job. That's how Goku was created. Well, when I first watched DBZ, I watched the dub, but I watched Super since it first came out and that made me realize that the Japanese version fits him better. He's dumb, doesn't know how children are made, this "Batman" voice is ok if you want to focus on the "muscular" appearance of Goku. But the Japanese voice fits him in every aspect. They're both ok, but I prefer the Japanese one and In my opinion Schemmel is such an overrated Goku. Majority of "fans" prefer Sean simply because he's inseparable from the character due to nostalgia. Ugh I watched it again just to be sure. He makes Goku sound too intelligent and the deep gruff voice is completely off. Nothing at all like the real Goku.People forget Goku is supposed to be a goofy clueless hick and not cool superhero dad like how he gets played in the dub.

Also Goku everytime saying Romantic Lines can Change the meaning of the sentence like in Japanese Version goku says :
wow all this time I thought by bride she meant something to eat ,well I guess that's it... I did promise.okay we would better get married

In English Dub he says :
]Sometimes I don't know what I'm saying... but it's a good thing my heart does,will you marry me?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
King-K9 wrote: 10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
I Disagree, Nozawa has been voicing Goku both as a kid and adult still nails his personality and captures his naive, soft hearted and battle savvy nature flawlessly. The Japanese fits Goku more. Goku is supposed to be a goofy character. And Nozawa Masako does a perfect job. That's how Goku was created. Well, when I first watched DBZ, I watched the dub, but I watched Super since it first came out and that made me realize that the Japanese version fits him better. He's dumb, doesn't know how children are made, this "Batman" voice is ok if you want to focus on the "muscular" appearance of Goku. But the Japanese voice fits him in every aspect. They're both ok, but I prefer the Japanese one and In my opinion Schemmel is such an overrated Goku. Majority of "fans" prefer Sean simply because he's inseparable from the character due to nostalgia. Ugh I watched it again just to be sure. He makes Goku sound too intelligent and the deep gruff voice is completely off. Nothing at all like the real Goku.People forget Goku is supposed to be a goofy clueless hick and not cool superhero dad like how he gets played in the dub.

Also Goku everytime saying Romantic Lines can Change the meaning of the sentence like in Japanese Version goku says :
wow all this time I thought by bride she meant something to eat ,well I guess that's it... I did promise.okay we would better get married

In English Dub he says :
]Sometimes I don't know what I'm saying... but it's a good thing my heart does,will you marry me?
While I vastly prefer Nozawa to Schemmel, what you've said about Schemmel's voice is ridiculous. How does he sound deep and gruff?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

In English Dub he says :
While I vastly prefer Nozawa to Schemmel, what you've said about Schemmel's voice is ridiculous. How does he sound deep and gruff?
Okay I know where you are coming from but in no way I am a Sean Schemmel Hater and also, Overrated ≠ Bad.
For Example Dragon Ball Z is also at times Overrated when called the Best Anime Ever but that doesn't stop me from Loving, I absolutely like his performance in Kai Dubs specially The Final Chapters Dub but in my Opinion he isn't really the Ideal Casting for Goku. At first Sean Schemmel Attempted to copy Kelamis so that the audience would have a somewhat smooth transition in voice actors.his voice later on, like in the Boo Arc,sounded extremely similar to Corlett's voice. Not to mention if you listen to the FUNi re-dub of the fight against raditz,when he says "Piccolo,are you Okay?" along with the majority of the season,he continues to sound similar despite having years to transition into his own goku voice. he finally made a noticeable change in his voice in Kai his voice acting and dialogue delivery improved a lot but hey, there's a rasp and lot of it now. The anime community looked at us like this because of how horrid and cringe worthy the dubbing was. When dubbing an anime ,the VAs should sound similar to their Japanese Counter-part and the Original BGM should be left intact. The only DB Dub to Come close to this was Uncut Ocean/Pioneer Dub of First 3 Movies. The Z Dub Fails with it's repitive Screams (Monotone in Sean's Case) ,stiff acting, dumbed down kiddy Scripts and unnecessary Censorships ,even in "Uncut" Dub.First off, Peter Kelamis is the best English Goku. In the few years he voiced Goku, he displayed far more experience and diversity than Schemmel ever has after more than a decade in the role.
In the first Uncut Ocean Dub movie, Kelamis' Goku sounds incredibly young and even higher pitched than what you displayed. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBVmE3eOmk The second movie, his voice is slightly deeper, while still copying Nozawa.
He did an amazing job displaying both silly and serious sides of the character. Schemmel, for some reason, simply sounds forced in these aspects. Kelamis also used some slang, similar to that of the original. "Ya can't beat me, I'll take ya all on!" While it's not as distinguishable as watching it subbed, he did use these instances of slang while dubbing, and no other actor before or after him has.
Fight scenes were where Kelamis definitely shined. He's so engulfed into what Goku's actions were, from mouth movement to how Goku's body got thrown around, and undeniably his screaming hits. This sentence will probably go down as 'unholy'. Its not that I think Schemmel is bad but the voice of Kelamis, MasakoX or Even Peter Kelamis too fits better for Goku which isn't manly or macho but a high pitched Man voice which is perfect for English Dub of goku voice.
Well, first off, Schemmel's voice acting was influenced and hindered by bad script ... a script so bad... it changed Goku, a selfish man-child fighter, into a selfless righteous hero. "I am the Hope of Universe. I am the Light of Darkness. I am truth. Ally to Good, Nightmare to You" I mean, what the hell was that? Jesus speech? Supes speech? Then we have "Sword of Injustice" and shit.
Second off, Schemmel simply didn't sound childish. His gruff voice and manner of executing lines make Goku sound much more mature than he should. Even during non-tense situations. I kinda didn't get "the Goku vibe" from Schemmel's voice. Schemmel did try a high pitched voice during gag scenes at times, but that didn't quite sound childish, at least to me.
Third off, bad voice acting. Schemmel was amazing at screams and several other parts too (especially in the Boo arc). But some lines just sounded bad ("You didn't say PLEEEAAASSSEEE!"). These lines just didn't sound... um... natural. Schemmel actually seemed to put effort in his lines. Of course, this is not necessarily bad acting, but rather overacting. One of the things I like about his Goku in Kai/Super Dub compared to Z Dub is that his lines sound more natural and effortless.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:50 pm

King-K9 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
10. A character's age must determine their voice. If a character starts off as a kid, then have an adult woman do it, but if they grow into a man, then switch the actress out for a man. (unless said character still looks like a child).
Nozawa IS Goku, kid and adult, really. I understand it is weird at first and especially if you come from the dubs, but honestly she nails the persona so good that giving Goku a male voice would tarnish the series, imo.
Also she screams better than any other men have in this series, her laugh is perfect, all intonations are accurate to who Goku is. In my opinion she is not replaceable and it will be a huge loss for the show when she goes to the other world. Symbolically I also like to think Goku keeps his child voice as he keeps his child's mind.
Fair enough, but I just think Sean is the superior Goku. But I enjoyed Nozawa's Goku in GT (Except for when he's SSJ4)
Strictly speaking about Goku and not Black for modern DB I actually agree, Nozawa's screams simply isn't as good anymore and generally there hasn't been that many stand out moments from her regular Goku in modern DB, in #61 when Goku explodes in rage was definitely her best acted moment for Goku in modern DB but of course she is old and all of this is expected and I still think she's doing a tremendous job.
Schemmel has the perfect package now his screams are ever so on point, he is able to switch between serious and casual Goku effortlessly and his line deliveries are great. Schemmel is the perfect dubbed Goku and the best we'll ever get.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
Do the Mandarin Chinese dubs qualify under my list? What about other dubs made with the various languages of Asia?

I know the German dub doesn't...can anybody say whether the alternative German dub DBZ Movies 1&8 dvds use the same scripts as their official counterparts or more accurate ones?

As for Italian, only the Dynit dub of the movies (...and maybe the Play World Media dub of DB ep 1-54?) qualify for my list due to name changes.
I can't say that all the mandarin chinese dubs qualify under the list, at least not the original mandarin dub for the original series. In that, the scripts were correct faithful until I know, but it had a very small cast with few actors, like 5 or 6 doing all the roles.
But, the post-Kai dubs and the alternate Z dub that was produced until the middle of Android Saga can actually qualify to the list, since their casts are a lot bigger, for what I saw. And their production values too.

Oh yeah, I was forgetting: there is a mainland Chinese mandarin dub for the original Dragon Ball, that was broadcasted in South Africa with english subs, but I don't know much about it.

About other asian dubs, the indonesian is probably the best after cantonese and korean, but I didn't saw much of it. It's just a supposition based in what I know about that dub.
The thai dubs are very faithful in terms of script, but they have few actors doing all the characters, and their acting can sounds really strange and uncommon to non-thai speakers. I don't know if it can be bad voice acting, or just a particularity of the language. You can see what I'm talking about here in these playlists:
And we have the tagalog, vietnamese(Kai) and original malay dubs(not the malaysian english speedy dub). The Tagalog dub have great actors and faithful scripts, but like the thai and mandarin dubs, it has a low number of actors working on it. Also, the production value doesn't see to be much bigger; for what I saw in the tagalog dub of Battle of Gods the sound mixing was pretty bad with a wheezing sound behind the voices(it was poorly recorded).
The malay dub(in malay language) seems to be nice, but I didn't saw much of it. Only a few clips from Kai. I don't know any information about staff, number of actors, production values or other stuff about this.
The vietnamese dub sounds good when we talk about acting wise. They never dubbed the original series, only Kai and they used the Funimation version as their source. But, like the malay dub, I don't know much of it in terms of staff, number of actors and other stuff like that.

About the italian dub, I know that it had some name changes, but nothing bigger or comparable to what Funimation did for example. Between the european dubs, the italian dubs are the closest to the original japanese scripts. The Dynit one is far more close to the original version than the Mediaset one, but they are both away more accurate and consistent than the french, spanish, portuguese or greek ones.

And I was forgetting, but the hebrew dub also can maybe qualify to the list too. It had a few problems here and there, but it has more accuracy than the italian mediaset dub, for example.

-------------------

But, nothing takes the Top of Cantonese dub, Brazilian Portuguese dub, Latin American Spanish dub, and probably the Korean dubs. I'm pretty sure than, when we talk about the original series at least, those ones are the bests in the world.
What about the Hindi Dub which were based on American Dub? (animes are not a big thing Here in India when it comes to DVD releases or merchandising besides few kids shows Dubs like Crayon Shin-Chan or Doraemon, etc.)

Here are some clips :
Also I think the issue with Hindi Dub was that it followed the FUNimation's Script instead of Japanese one and tried to copy FUNi's Voices because of which Freeza sounded horrible even in Hindi dub in 1st, 3rd and Final Form but for 2nd form he got a Badass male voice

Well, we cannot blame hindi actors and staff for things like the soundtrack changing or the terrible scripts, since they were translated by the old american version. But using the american version as a base is by itself a bad thing. It's in the same category of the european dubs that used the bad french AB Groupe version as a base to their dubs.

Also, for what I know, the hindi had it's own internal problems, like lack of voice actors and some fault of casting constancy. For example, Vegeta at the first episodes was voiced by the same actor as Goku, but later they changed him to another actor.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I Disagree, Nozawa has been voicing Goku both as a kid and adult still nails his personality and captures his naive, soft hearted and battle savvy nature flawlessly. The Japanese fits Goku more. Goku is supposed to be a goofy character. And Nozawa Masako does a perfect job. That's how Goku was created. Well, when I first watched DBZ, I watched the dub, but I watched Super since it first came out and that made me realize that the Japanese version fits him better. He's dumb, doesn't know how children are made, this "Batman" voice is ok if you want to focus on the "muscular" appearance of Goku. But the Japanese voice fits him in every aspect. They're both ok, but I prefer the Japanese one and In my opinion Schemmel is such an overrated Goku. Majority of "fans" prefer Sean simply because he's inseparable from the character due to nostalgia. Ugh I watched it again just to be sure. He makes Goku sound too intelligent and the deep gruff voice is completely off. Nothing at all like the real Goku.People forget Goku is supposed to be a goofy clueless hick and not cool superhero dad like how he gets played in the dub.

In English Dub he says :
Okay I know where you are coming from but in no way I am a Sean Schemmel Hater and also, Overrated ≠ Bad.
For Example Dragon Ball Z is also at times Overrated when called the Best Anime Ever but that doesn't stop me from Loving, I absolutely like his performance in Kai Dubs specially The Final Chapters Dub but in my Opinion he isn't really the Ideal Casting for Goku. At first Sean Schemmel Attempted to copy Kelamis so that the audience would have a somewhat smooth transition in voice actors.his voice later on, like in the Boo Arc,sounded extremely similar to Corlett's voice. Not to mention if you listen to the FUNi re-dub of the fight against raditz,when he says "Piccolo,are you Okay?" along with the majority of the season,he continues to sound similar despite having years to transition into his own goku voice. he finally made a noticeable change in his voice in Kai his voice acting and dialogue delivery improved a lot but hey, there's a rasp and lot of it now. The anime community looked at us like this because of how horrid and cringe worthy the dubbing was. When dubbing an anime ,the VAs should sound similar to their Japanese Counter-part and the Original BGM should be left intact. The only DB Dub to Come close to this was Uncut Ocean/Pioneer Dub of First 3 Movies. The Z Dub Fails with it's repitive Screams (Monotone in Sean's Case) ,stiff acting, dumbed down kiddy Scripts and unnecessary Censorships ,even in "Uncut" Dub.First off, Peter Kelamis is the best English Goku. In the few years he voiced Goku, he displayed far more experience and diversity than Schemmel ever has after more than a decade in the role.
In the first Uncut Ocean Dub movie, Kelamis' Goku sounds incredibly young and even higher pitched than what you displayed. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBVmE3eOmk The second movie, his voice is slightly deeper, while still copying Nozawa.
He did an amazing job displaying both silly and serious sides of the character. Schemmel, for some reason, simply sounds forced in these aspects. Kelamis also used some slang, similar to that of the original. "Ya can't beat me, I'll take ya all on!" While it's not as distinguishable as watching it subbed, he did use these instances of slang while dubbing, and no other actor before or after him has.
Fight scenes were where Kelamis definitely shined. He's so engulfed into what Goku's actions were, from mouth movement to how Goku's body got thrown around, and undeniably his screaming hits. This sentence will probably go down as 'unholy'. Its not that I think Schemmel is bad but the voice of Kelamis, MasakoX or Even Peter Kelamis too fits better for Goku which isn't manly or macho but a high pitched Man voice which is perfect for English Dub of goku voice.
Well, first off, Schemmel's voice acting was influenced and hindered by bad script ... a script so bad... it changed Goku, a selfish man-child fighter, into a selfless righteous hero. "I am the Hope of Universe. I am the Light of Darkness. I am truth. Ally to Good, Nightmare to You" I mean, what the hell was that? Jesus speech? Supes speech? Then we have "Sword of Injustice" and shit.
Second off, Schemmel simply didn't sound childish. His gruff voice and manner of executing lines make Goku sound much more mature than he should. Even during non-tense situations. I kinda didn't get "the Goku vibe" from Schemmel's voice. Schemmel did try a high pitched voice during gag scenes at times, but that didn't quite sound childish, at least to me.
Third off, bad voice acting. Schemmel was amazing at screams and several other parts too (especially in the Boo arc). But some lines just sounded bad ("You didn't say PLEEEAAASSSEEE!"). These lines just didn't sound... um... natural. Schemmel actually seemed to put effort in his lines. Of course, this is not necessarily bad acting, but rather overacting. One of the things I like about his Goku in Kai/Super Dub compared to Z Dub is that his lines sound more natural and effortless.
I thought that Kelamis was great in the first three movies dubbed by Ocean, but right now, I think Schemmel has surpassed him, even if I prefer the Pioneer Ocean dubs of the first three dubs to Kai's. Schemmel isn't Nozawa, but he's the best English Goku now IMO.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

-------------------

Here are some clips :

Well, we cannot blame hindi actors and staff for things like the soundtrack changing or the terrible scripts, since they were translated by the old american version. But using the american version as a base is by itself a bad thing. It's in the same category of the european dubs that used the bad french AB Groupe version as a base to their dubs.

Also, for what I know, the hindi had it's own internal problems, like lack of voice actors and some fault of casting constancy. For example, Vegeta at the first episodes was voiced by the same actor as Goku, but later they changed him to another actor.
We had the Shuki Levy Score for first 53 Edited Episides by Ocean dub but once FUNimation took over we had The Kikuchi's Music instead of Faulconer one but the difference was that they wanted to fill silence just like Faulconer's Music did so they filled Silent moments with other Kikuchi Tracks, some times it worked sometimes not but I do think the cell voice sounded very similar to Wakamoto than Clarke's Voice in Hindi, also our Kid Trunks was voiced by a male and sounded just Like Kusao's Kid Trunks and Hindi Dub piccolo maybe Imitating Sabat's Piccolo in Z but sounded much less forced than him and again a little more closer to Furukawa's Piccolo and I have to say they did great job of imitating the Ocean/FUNi voices and that vegeta voice actor in Hindi Dub changed because Sabat Replaced Drummond so they have to hire someone who can sound like that same for goku,the moment Kelamis got replaced With Sean we had a much better goku this time because the goku in Saiyan saga and early Namek Arc we had was horrible and too deep voiced and serious but the one imitating Sean was great.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: While I vastly prefer Nozawa to Schemmel, what you've said about Schemmel's voice is ridiculous. How does he sound deep and gruff?
I thought that Kelamis was great in the first three movies dubbed by Ocean, but right now, I think Schemmel has surpassed him, even if I prefer the Pioneer Ocean dubs of the first three dubs to Kai's. Schemmel isn't Nozawa, but he's the best English Goku now IMO.
The thing is he sounds more naive from Battle of Gods Movie but in Kai 1.0 he sounded too deep at times but right now in Kai TFC he sounds best

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 am

All a dub really needs to be good is retain the spirit and tone of the original. Even accuracy in script can be questionable so long as a change helps retain the spirit. An example is Steins;Gate, in the dub Okabe was given many more delirious ramblings related to mythology, if I remember the Japanese used @channel speak, while it is a change the spirit is kept in Okabe's personality.

The Persona games are pretty great at this too and a very controversial topic in adaption right now. Persona 5 had a very faithful script, to the point people are complaining it doesn't flow well enough. While I will agree the script isn't as smooth compared to P3 and P4, I feel to convey the games themes some of the advanced dialogue works.

And it is even possible to keep a dubs spirit with changed music and names. The Yu-Gi-Oh! DM dub did this, but the Egyptian styled themes in the OST as well as some kinda great localization decisions (Such as making Jonouchi have a Brooklyn accent to adapt his rushed and abrupt speech from the Japanese) kept the spirit of the original. While later series dubs did everything they could to take away the spirit of the original (LOOKING AT YOU 5D'S AND ARC-V), the DM dub is a rare example of keeping the spirit despite localization.

Dragon Ball on the other hand completely failed to keep the spirit when adapted in 1996, resulting in two completely different shows and dividing the fanbase on which is "True Dragon Ball". Mystical martial arts show shrouded in a grey area with t's morals. Or hard rock sci-fi action show where good and evil is black and white.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 am

Ripper 30 wrote: I do think the cell voice sounded very similar to Wakamoto than Clarke's Voice in Hindi, also our Kid Trunks was voiced by a male and sounded just Like Kusao's Kid Trunks and Hindi Dub piccolo maybe Imitating Sabat's Piccolo in Z but sounded much less forced than him and again a little more closer to Furukawa's Piccolo and I have to say they did great job of imitating the Ocean/FUNi voices and that vegeta voice actor in Hindi Dub changed because Sabat Replaced Drummond so they have to hire someone who can sound like that same for goku,the moment Kelamis got replaced With Sean we had a much better goku this time because the goku in Saiyan saga and early Namek Arc we had was horrible and too deep voiced and serious but the one imitating Sean was great.
Is that the actual stated reason? It seems like a very strange and illogical move to replace actors based on the Funimation dub recastings, which were basically done due to lack of funding. After listening to some of the Hindi dub clips I can't say I hear many similarities to the Funimation actors. In the case of Vegeta and Piccolo, they actually sound similar to Ocean's castings (which would make sense if they started off being based on them) whereas Goten and kid Trunks remind me more of the Japanese voices. Goku doesn't really strike me as being similar to anyone from the English side, he just sounds like a generic heroic voice, though I suppose his pitch is roughly the same as the English Goku VAs. I would agree that Cell sounds similar to the Japanese, though his screams and grunts aren't really on the same level (IMO).

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I do think the cell voice sounded very similar to Wakamoto than Clarke's Voice in Hindi, also our Kid Trunks was voiced by a male and sounded just Like Kusao's Kid Trunks and Hindi Dub piccolo maybe Imitating Sabat's Piccolo in Z but sounded much less forced than him and again a little more closer to Furukawa's Piccolo and I have to say they did great job of imitating the Ocean/FUNi voices and that vegeta voice actor in Hindi Dub changed because Sabat Replaced Drummond so they have to hire someone who can sound like that same for goku,the moment Kelamis got replaced With Sean we had a much better goku this time because the goku in Saiyan saga and early Namek Arc we had was horrible and too deep voiced and serious but the one imitating Sean was great.
Is that the actual stated reason? It seems like a very strange and illogical move to replace actors based on the Funimation dub recastings, which were basically done due to lack of funding. After listening to some of the Hindi dub clips I can't say I hear many similarities to the Funimation actors. In the case of Vegeta and Piccolo, they actually sound similar to Ocean's castings (which would make sense if they started off being based on them) whereas Goten and kid Trunks remind me more of the Japanese voices. Goku doesn't really strike me as being similar to anyone from the English side, he just sounds like a generic heroic voice, though I suppose his pitch is roughly the same as the English Goku VAs. I would agree that Cell sounds similar to the Japanese, though his screams and grunts aren't really on the same level (IMO).
It's because Anime Dubbing in our Native Language is almost none with a few kids anime dubs being exception but if we had the Japanese Audio as reference then it could have been way better and yes, no one scream like Wakamoto Does specially the anger Screams

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
It's because Anime Dubbing in our Native Language is almost none with a few kids anime dubs being exception but if we had the Japanese Audio as reference then it could have been way better and yes, no one scream like Wakamoto Does specially the anger Screams
Frankly, after watching so many anime shows in either English or Japanese, I don't give a damn if the English voice actors don't sound like the Japanese counterparts. I'd hate if every voice for Batman and Joker just imitated Conroy and Hamill.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Is that the actual stated reason? It seems like a very strange and illogical move to replace actors based on the Funimation dub recastings, which were basically done due to lack of funding. After listening to some of the Hindi dub clips I can't say I hear many similarities to the Funimation actors. In the case of Vegeta and Piccolo, they actually sound similar to Ocean's castings (which would make sense if they started off being based on them) whereas Goten and kid Trunks remind me more of the Japanese voices. Goku doesn't really strike me as being similar to anyone from the English side, he just sounds like a generic heroic voice, though I suppose his pitch is roughly the same as the English Goku VAs. I would agree that Cell sounds similar to the Japanese, though his screams and grunts aren't really on the same level (IMO).
Frankly, after watching so many anime shows in either English or Japanese, I don't give a damn if the English voice actors don't sound like the Japanese counterparts. I'd hate if every voice for Batman and Joker just imitated Conroy and Hamill.
The important thing is to capture the personality and tone of speaking,for example Chris Ayres doesn't Sound Exactly like Ryusei Nakao but he captures the Personality of Freeza perfectly in English